It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:30 am

Boss Cube RX and Cube Bass RX 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Boss Cube RX and Cube Bass RX
Hello All,

I recently got one of each of these new amps for busking. I haven't had a chance to use them on the street yet, but here are a few impressions.

They are supposed to run up to 13 hrs! on 6 AA batteries. I am using rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride ones (which you aren't supposed to do) as a test. They are working well so far. Apparently this type of battery can have one cell drop voltage and reverse polarity, and possibly damage circuitry hence they are not recommended. The economy of rechargeable is worth the slight danger. I will have pay attention to the charge state.

The Guitar RX is set up like the Micro Cube. Same amp models, effects etc. They all sound really good. The 4 speakers give the amp more volume and tone depth than the micro cube. The volume of the JC model is really low, and the volume of the rectifier models is really high. So switching from one amp model to the others requires readjusting the gain and volume. Bass side strings sound fairly good too, a lot better then through the Micro cube.

All in all, I am very pleased. I plan to use this amp for both sides of my Alto when I get it. ( 2 months out?!)

The Cube Bass RX is even more impressive. 12"x12"x8" (same size for both amps). Powered off of batteries, Low C, Heavy strings, Graphite 10 string, is reproduced amazingly well. No rattles or breakup. No muddiness. The amp models are all good and distinct. EQ works well. Effects are good. (Wish there was Phase, but Chorus is a good substitute).

Really pleased with this amp too. The RX and Bass RX sound great together too. Which is what I had hoped.

Both amps have simple rhythm guide drum pattern sections. You can even use foot pedals to start and stop etc. They don't sound too bad, a little cheesy. I don't plan on using them for performance. but not a bad metronome for practice.

I will let you know how well they work for my busking exploits.

Later, Lee

Sun May 11, 2008 8:07 am