It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:27 pm

Add a sub to my Fishman 100? 

Post Add a sub to my Fishman 100?
I saw a post reporting that the drummer couldn't hear the Stick-player through his Fishman Loudbox 100. I have the same issue in my trio. I was thinking that the issue is the frequency response. The Loudbox has a frequency response down to 80 Hz, and the Stick's low B is about 30 Hz, so I could find an amp with a lower response. My first thought was to look for an Acoustic Image Coda (pity I didn't see Rob M's for sale last year!).

Previous reviewers here have preferred the sound of the Loudbox to the Coda. So my second thought was adding a sub. Would folks here be able to offer any ideas and recommendations? I don't fully understand how this kind of set-up would work. Would I run the bass side through the sub and the treble through the Coda? Or would I send the signal from the Loudbox to the sub? Since the Loudbox has a frequency response down to 80 Hz, does that mean that it wouldn't be able to pass through any sounds below-80 Hz? I re-read the earlier thread on a sub to go with the Fishman SoloAmp, it seems like one possibility is to send the signal first to the sub, then use the sub's crossover to send the signal to the Loudbox. I admit I'm pretty clueless about amps.

I'm thinking something fairly small, maybe a 10" speaker, and weight around 20 lbs. We play mostly small and medium-sized rooms - for larger rooms we go through the house. Thanks for any advice or ideas!

Christian

Last edited by dancerdc on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:25 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Add a sub to my Fishman 100?
I love my AI Coda amp, but have to admit... it disappears in a stage environment with drums.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi dancerdc,

I have had a lot of different amps over the years and i currently have an AI Coda
that I am just not using enough to justify, and I am really thinking very strongly about
a Bose, so I will need to raise some cash. If you are interested in an
Acoustic Image I would give you a very fair price :arrow: Anyone else
interested?

My take on the amp is that it is great for bass. Possibly the best for it's size...
It was laking for my ears however because the higher frequencies, although
quite good seemed 'colored' in a way that didn't bring out the full sound
of the Stick. Preamp and effects overcome the issue pretty good but I want to be able to go from the Stick to the amp with nothing else unless I am looping :twisted:. I think if I remember correctly that Rob was going to use his
as a sub-woffer with a Solo Amp but found it was unnecessary.
Playing solo though is very different than with a drummer or with a band :geek:
:arrow: Rob, you simply must try a Bose Model 2 with a Tone Match 8-)

Since Dub's post came up before mine I must defer because I have not used
my AI with a drummer, but it seems pretty powerful to me...
Perhaps a Roland keyboard amp might do the job (?) KC-880's
seem very cool but one thing for sure that amp will be a lot
more work going from here to there :| IMHO 8-) Good luck...

*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Last edited by JRJ on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Add a sub to my Fishman 100?
I usually play with a fishman soloamp and a DB-12 subwoofer. Stick and microphone go into a Mackie ProFX 8. Mains out go to the subwoofer, which handles the frequencies inferior to 100 Hz for all the channels (vocals, stick bass and melody side), then out of the subwoofer to the Fishman.

This time, I was playing with a drummer, and went for the so called «aux fed subwoofer» strategy.

Very simple. On the melody channel of the stick and on the vocal microphone, I engaged the low cut switch that eliminates almost everything under 100 Hz.

On the bass side channel of the stick, I turned the monitor send up, sending the bass side to the monitor output of the Mackie.

I did the same for the kick drum microphone, the rest of the drums didn’t need to be amplified as it was leaking through the vocal mike anyway.

I connected a main output of the mixer to the Fishman, sending it the whole mix as usual.

I connected the monitor output of the mixer to the subwoofer, sending it ONLY the low frequencies of the Stick's bass side and kick drum mike.

I then aligned the volume of the sub with the volume of the Fishman (no complex device required, two good ears are enough).

The result is VERY GOOD. With this approach, only the low frequencies of the bass side and the kick drum are handled by the subwoofer. All the other channels being low cut at 100 Hz, there is no stage noise, leakage, rumble or any other noise going through the subwoofer. The bass spectrum is punchier and clearer.

On stage, this system was behind the drummer and me (as with a Bose system). So we both heard ourselves very well.

The main output of the Mackie mixer was also fed into to 2 Mackie Thump TH12-A flown from the ceiling, functioning as FOH. On these 2 units, I turned the bass EQ a bit down, since the subwoofer was already providing enough bass.

After the gig, some people told us how good the sound was. The vocals came through loud and clear, as did the Stick and drums, with a very wide spectrum from very low bass to cristal high frequencies.

Here is also a short Wikipedia explanation and a link to what made me try this (highly recommendable) approach. For other infos, you may google « aux fed subwoofer ».

Aux-fed subwoofers

Instead of being incorporated into a full-range system, concert subwoofers can be supplied with their own signal from a separate mix bus on the mixing console; often one of the auxiliary sends ("aux" or "auxes") is used. This configuration is called "aux-fed subwoofers", and has been observed to significantly reduce low frequency "muddiness" that can build up in a concert sound system which has on stage a number of microphones each picking up low frequencies and each having different phase relationships of those low frequencies.[2] The aux-fed subs method greatly reduces the number of sources feeding the subwoofers to include only those instruments that have desired low frequency information; sources such as kick drum, bass guitar, samplers and keys. This simplifies the signal sent to the subwoofers and makes for greater clarity and low punch.[55] Aux-fed subs can even be stereo, if desired, using two auxiliary mix buses.

http://worldofste.co.uk/206/system-design/aux-fed-subs/[/quote]

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi JRJ - I'm definitely interested in that Coda of yours. I'll send you a private message about it.

Bye for now,
Christian

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:27 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

dubyasee wrote:
I love my AI Coda amp, but have to admit... it disappears in a stage environment with drums.

I have a 2Ten Ex cab for mine, last year I let an upright bassist use it for a local performance in a jazz band with drums, sax,electric guitar. No problems hearing him over the drums

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

MichNS wrote:
dubyasee wrote:

I have a 2Ten Ex cab for mine, last year I let an upright bassist use it for a local performance in a jazz band with drums, sax,electric guitar. No problems hearing him over the drums

My experience was in a rock format. (do you hear that... or is it just my ears ringing?)

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

dubyasee wrote:
MichNS wrote:
dubyasee wrote:

My experience was in a rock format. (do you hear that... or is it just my ears ringing?)

Stop screaming! I can hear you fine :P :P :P :P

I'm always looking for better, light-weight amps - one area the AI fails is sometimes I do some percussive slapping (often muted), something Steve Osburn taught me. At times that amp can't handle it, but I know any normal bass amp could. From what I understand, the CODA was designed around the upright bass, which it does a fantastic job of amplifying. Does have a real nice sound with my electric bass guitar too.

Need a full range all tube 8-)

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:58 pm