It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:49 pm

Another interface question 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Another interface question
Ok does anyone use their motu 828 or other such interface as a live mixer in their rig. This would offer a quick solution everytime I want to record.

So I want to have a mixer/interface which I can plug my melody preamp into the output of my bass amp into AND any synths I'm triggering. I need to be able to come out of thid device and go to a power amp and speakers. It would have to work like this without a laptop firewired in.

In addition I would love to plug in my laptop, fire up digital performer set a few parameters and just record my gig.

So is this as easy as it seems?

Why am I not doing this? Also if this all works out how tough is it to get into software effects to add to my live stick processing?

Thanks
Brett

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Another interface question
I'm not sure I completely follow your routing requirements, but I'm pretty happily using the mixer function of my MOTU Ultralite mk3 (http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3). There's a handy application that you can use to set up your mixer settings while you're hooked up to your laptop, but it doesn't require the laptop to be connected for the mixer-function. All of the mixer settings are accessible through the front panel, it's just not nearly as user-friendly.

I should probably also add that I'm not a regular gigging musician & my needs may be much simpler than yours.....

--Jeff

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

We're using a Presonus digital mixer for our trio, recording tracks and sending a live feed, and it works well. As long as the routing/levels are in firmware (contained in the unit), and are retained even in absence of a connection with a laptop, you should be able to use it live just fine. You would probably want to bring your laptop and have it at a gig even if you don't change settings--much easier to fix settings, apply some room eq, etc. on a unit like that from the software interface.

Sanity check...if you're playing using the 828, say, running feeds to your amps, and your laptop suddenly shuts down, are there any glitches or does everything keep running? I'd actually try this (at low volume) to make sure the interface won't leave you high and dry. :shock:

EDIT: That UltraLite is a seriously Snazzy little unit! 8-)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Brett if you're looking for Rackmount, it looks like the newer 828 MkIII Hybrid would also fit the bill. Not sure if the older 828 will, though.

If I had the money, I might seriously consider the Ultralite or the 828 MkIII myself. 8-)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery