It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:24 am

Does anyone use slow gear effect on Boss GT series or VF-1? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Does anyone use slow gear effect on Boss GT series or VF-1?
So I'm evaluating one of the new Boss GT-10 units. Immediately I'm noticing the slow gear effect behaves quite differently than it does on the older SE-70, even though it has the same two parameters... there is all kinds of stacatto retriggering if the sensitivity is too high, and if it's too low, softer notes don't trigger the effect, or it works better with low notes vs. high notes or vice versa. I can't seem to find a happy medium.

I had this exact problem when I owned a VF-1 and chalked it up to a faulty algorithm, or at least optimized for guitar and not tapping- but maybe this is the same slow gear effect Boss has been using the past several years. The SE-70 algorithm is much smoother and more foolproof- it never re-triggers rapidly after a volume swell occurs.

I'd be curious if anyone has successfully used this effect on a GT device with the Stick.... this would probably be a deal breaker for me since I use this efect quite a lot.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Does anyone use slow gear effect on Boss GT series or VF-1?
I remember my old GT-6 working quite well...but I was less pleased with the GT-8's version.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm
Contributor
Contributor

A big difference between the SE-70 and the VF-1 and other COSM-based units is that most of the effects in the '70 were analog (with digital controls). All of the later units (including the most current models) are using digital versions of those effects.

I have recently acquired a VF-1 and am working to incorporate it (along with my SE-50) into my rig with another recent acquisition (a Rane AP-13).

One step forward, two steps back - as I have been trying to "simplify" my gear by going totally computer-based. I work with computers all day, every day for a living. Frankly, I get tired of dealing all of the bugaboos (having software updates break some of the plugins I am using, etc.) associated with computer-based music. I miss being able to just grab a knob and twist it (what I refer to as, "The Adrian Belew School of 'What happens when I turn THIS?'"). I do NOT, however, miss having to haul around 250 pounds of 8-space rack-mounted effects, power supplies, pedals and cables! I'm getting too old for that (and living on the 3rd floor with no elevator does not help!).

Hopefully, I will eventually have a portable computer, modern enough to handle all of the requirements of the software I want to use (Mainstage, SooperLooper...). My current desktop gear can manage it, but not my 4-year-old portable. At least, not well enough for me to feel comfortable gigging with it. Until then, I will tweak my new 2-space rack of "vintage" gear.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I increased the input level in the global settings and that seemed to help, but not perfectly.

From what I understand from doing a little research, I think just the distortion circuit is analog in the SE-70. But whatever it is, there is a certain organic and colorful quality to the effects that seems missing in later all-digital Boss units (even with setting for setting equivalent effects), I can't quite put my finger on it.

I'll spend some more time with the GT-10 when I get a chance and report back.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

robmartino wrote:
I'll spend some more time with the GT-10 when I get a chance and report back.

Either way, it's got to be better than the one on the G-System ;-)

Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:33 pm

robmartino wrote:
I had this exact problem when I owned a VF-1 and chalked it up to a faulty algorithm, or at least optimized for guitar and not tapping- but maybe this is the same slow gear effect Boss has been using the past several years. The SE-70 algorithm is much smoother and more foolproof- it never re-triggers rapidly after a volume swell occurs.

Hello Rob,

i'm new to this forum but I'm lurking for while. So at first - hello to all :D

Rob, obiously were sitting in the same boat - i'm using two SE70s for a very long time and did not found any other Efx which has such a smooth and "musical" acting Slow Gear like the SE70. :(

Actually i have tried the POD X3 Live and since yesterday i've got a VG-99. I'am afraid to tell you, that both units did not have a comparable Slow Gear. The test was done only with the 1/4-Input of the VG-99 not the GK-3, course i'm not shure if i will hold the unit. I will do try more at the weekend but i think i will give it back. So nothing beats the SE70 :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:54 am

I agree: I have a VF-1 and a SE-70 and realized finally that I used VF-1 exclusively on bass side because SE-70 sounds a lot better and smoother, and this choice is truely patent and effective on melody side.
No doubt about that !

But VF1 has a lot of presets (200) , much more than SE-70.

It does not matter , I prefer the sound and colour of SE-70 ... It looks obvious that analogic amplification (and effects) have plenty of future!

"I have nothing to say and that's what I am saying" (John Cage)

Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:15 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

wirehead wrote:
Hello Rob,

i'm new to this forum but I'm lurking for while. So at first - hello to all :D

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum... I've been to your MySpace page before and enjoyed your tunes.

wirehead wrote:
Rob, obiously were sitting in the same boat - i'm using two SE70s for a very long time and did not found any other Efx which has such a smooth and "musical" acting Slow Gear like the SE70. :(

Actually i have tried the POD X3 Live and since yesterday i've got a VG-99. I'am afraid to tell you, that both units did not have a comparable Slow Gear. The test was done only with the 1/4-Input of the VG-99 not the GK-3, course i'm not shure if i will hold the unit. I will do try more at the weekend but i think i will give it back. So nothing beats the SE70 :lol:

Thanks very much for that info, since I was specifically interested in the X3 Live and VG-99 in addition to the GT-10 as potential upgrades to my effects system. I will still spend some time with the GT-10, but perhaps I'll end up being content lugging my rack of old Boss effects around rather than trying to use a couple newer pedalboards.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Is the sound of the "slow gear" a volume swell? I think so, a very useful patch. I have gone back and forth with a number of different processors and amps looking for "the sound"
but that sound chaser thing seems to be such a moving target that I am reorganizing my studio to ergonomically accommodate all the "stuff". So drawers, racks with rollers, a closet and a wiring strategy . And because the search never stops if you have a few of these boxes
in stock then you can usually find what you want. I have been using a Digitech RP-250
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DGTRP250 on the bass side for Bass :shock: duh, but also
for distorted lead and and the fabled "Slow Gear" volume swell. I love this little box it's easy
and its small, light and if it fails there's no wait time to get a new one. (That has never happened though)
With RP-250 the volume swell has a quirk as well. It won't swell unless you hit it just right.
too soon and it's distorted with too much delay. It needs a space where you take your fingers off the frets and when you understand that little concession it works really good. And even though it's "digital" as in Digitech the sound itself is really warm and analogue.
jrj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:01 pm

robmartino wrote:
Hi Michael, welcome to the forum... I've been to your MySpace page before and enjoyed your tunes.

Thx - i like your playing too! I think there are some parallels in what Sticksound we are searching for.

robmartino wrote:
Thanks very much for that info, since I was specifically interested in the X3 Live and VG-99 in addition to the GT-10 as potential upgrades to my effects system. I will still spend some time with the GT-10, but perhaps I'll end up being content lugging my rack of old Boss effects around rather than trying to use a couple newer pedalboards.

The Slow Gear of the POD is not that bad, but not as good as in the SE70.
I assume the Slow Gear-Algorithm of the GT-10 is the same as in the VG-99 and for me really unusable. Btw. the polyphonic Slow Gear of the VG-99 is much better, if you use the GK-3 Pickup but it's acting in an other way - very nice for Pads, but not for legato playing, like i do.

So if there would be no SE70's anymore on this planet, i would choose the POD X3 Live next ;-)

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:02 am