It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:45 pm

The Lesser of Two Evils 

Guitar Center or Sam Ash-Which do you prefer?
Guitar Center 90%  90%  [ 9 ]
Sam Ash 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

The Lesser of Two Evils 
Contributor
Contributor

Post The Lesser of Two Evils
The time has come to trust the Line6 PodX3 has been debugged and to purchase at one of my local Big Box Music Retailers. So, the question presented: Who Do You Trust? Who has given you the best service/advice/percs./Warranty Extension Plan/etc.,? Any experiences/anecdotes would be appreciated/amusing. Thank you in advance for your help guys.

Marty, Studio Shoe

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:42 pm

Post Re: The Lesser of Two Evils
I voted for Sam Ash. However, I voted for them since I bought my first Stick (the one I sold almost 20 years ago) at the Sam Ash in mid-town Manhattan.

Call it a sentimental vote.

Had an ironwood Stick in the late 80s, but I sold it. (One of my two big regrets in life.)

Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:45 am

Seeing how I've never heard of either of those two shops, being a Brit, I would have to say don't buy from Dawsons if you ever come to the UK. They are trained to flog overpriced and unsuitable gear to you, its painful to be inside one of their shops. Thankfully my loal music shop is possibly the most widely known independant trader in the UK and over brilliant advice and I can sit and chat to them about music in general!

Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:28 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thor wrote:
Thankfully my loal music shop is possibly the most widely known independant trader in the UK and over brilliant advice and I can sit and chat to them about music in general!

Who's that then?

Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:33 am

Sounds Great music, near Manchester Airport.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:12 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thor wrote:
Sounds Great music, near Manchester Airport.

Ah...yeah, I know them...good call.
(dangerous to live too close, mind ;-) )

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:51 am
Contributor
Contributor

There's no Sam Ashes in Michigan as far as I'm concerned.

I like Guitar Center because generally I know what I'm talking about so the sales people can't really steer me towards stupid stuff. It definitley isn't very good for people who don't know what they want though. They always give me free stuff too.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:19 am
Contributor
Contributor

fcoulter wrote:
I voted for Sam Ash. However, I voted for them since I bought my first Stick (the one I sold almost 20 years ago) at the Sam Ash in mid-town Manhattan.

Call it a sentimental vote.

I happened back at this post and this sunk in. I bought my Stick #1212 at Sam Ash in Manhattan in '83. I still have mine, although it SAT for almost 20 years. WTHYGD.

Marty

Thu May 01, 2008 11:59 pm

Had to go with GC as I've found some folks there that knew something and I've been able to talk them into some deals that they should never have gone for......... I'm a cheeeeeap bastid.

Plus the Sam Ash nearest me is in a Giant Mall, is small itself, small selection of product and always little budding wannabees turning stuff up too loud. (I sointanly was nevah like dat in MY yoot! ;)

Me and a buddy went by Kriewall's Music in Orange CA circa 1974 almost every other day and played their Mellotron. They called it off limits within a few months but it was GOOD while it lasted!! Playing old Krims and Genesis with our hair blowing in the wind......... It don't git no better
I don't think he ever sold that thing.

Rob Cathcart

Fri May 02, 2008 12:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Guitar Center.....
Mostly because it's closer than Sam Ash. The closest Sam Ash in a two hour ride down the interstate.
GC has never given me an guff about returning stuff even when my reason is that I just don't need it.
I do try to hit the local independents when I can get what I need from them.

http://www.myspace.com/mychapmansticks
http://www.myspace.com/artistgodanddoctor

Fri May 02, 2008 4:44 am