It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
 Line 6 HX Stomp Discussion 

Post Re: Line 6 HX Stomp Discussion
Bison,

thank you for your helpful advice. I will try it.

Best regards, Andi

Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

bizon wrote:
After far too many hours spent tweaking this marvelous Lament Configuration of a device, the rule of thumb I adhere to going into creating a preset for the Stick on the Stomp is this. Most times, the least expected thing will sound best. For example, earlier in this thread I mentioned the Princess patch sounding killer on the bass side of The Stick. It's a model of the 12-watt Fender Princeton guitar amp. Not something you'd expect to sound completely awesome - deep, full and tubey, but crisp - with the bass side of a Chapman Stick playing through it. But awesome it does, with just a couple of tweaks.

I for one appreciate your tweaking of said puzzle because it has given me a wonderful launchpad to sort out how to craft this instrument tone into a useable voice.

bizon wrote:
If you're looking for a really nice rock guitar amp model that works well very with the Stick, the Mandarin - modeled after a vintage Orange - with the matching cab, is my goto. It's the only one I use. It's incredibly versatile, especially when used with different mic combos.

I have also found the Mandarin model to be incredibly useful on the melody side. I was smitten with a video I saw months ago of Tony Rodriguez providing a demo of the EPI and Rumble Seat by Analog Alien. What I have discovered is that the preamp section of that model just lights up my ACTV-2 pickup.

What I have learned about this in the past few months is that I was afraid of the high gain amp models because I didn't know what I was doing. Now that I know which sliders to move it is pretty easy to get a nice sound out of most of them. It still requires quite a bit of tweaking simply due to my active pickup AND the tapped string causing a rather audible THUD in the mix but after reading all these posts and checking out the bass player you recommended I have learned a lot about crafting the sound.

Michael

Ironwood 10 string #928

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:12 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks, guys! Happy to help out in any way I can.

I, for one, am very grateful to be part of one of the most supportive and helpful musical communities out there. We are, for the most part, a group of lovely people who are all very passionate about the Stick, and the wealth of knowledge, wisdom, and experience available here is second to none. Not to mention that Emmett - the creator of the Stick and the Free Hands playing method - is here as a regular contributor, along with many of the titans of the Stick world like Greg and Steve who both offer so much to players of all levels.

We're a lucky bunch.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:46 pm

bizon wrote:

We're a lucky bunch.

That we are, sir. I have been a member of many forums and communities and this is the only one I am still involved with. Even as a lurker, I gain many tips and inspirations.

Michael

Ironwood 10 string #928

Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:29 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

So how is everyone getting along with running a Stomp with stereo amps & cabs?

I run my stick mostly clean but I’d still be concerned with running out of DSP.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:25 pm

TappistRT wrote:

I don’t use the cabs or even IRs typically. The ACTV2 sounds really good direct, so I’ve just been using an SVT-Pro and an Orange preamp models in a split chain with some effects. The thing that eats up the DSP is the stereo reverb.

MM

Ironwood 10 string #928

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:07 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

TappistRT wrote:

In this screenshot, I'm playing the bass side into the Princess (Fender Princeton model) preamp block, into a 10-band graphic EQ, and going out of the Main L/R. In this case it's mono, but the way I route my Stomp, I have both the L and R at my disposal should I be using stereo effects on a different preset.

On the melody side, I'm running through the Heir Apparent distortion block, into the WhoWatt (Hiwatt) amp/cab block, into a mono Ducked Delay, a 10-band Graphic EQ, and then a stereo Glitz Reverb, going out through the Send L/R.

I occasionally have to get creative with what I can and cannot use within the parameters of the 8 blocks of DSP but it almost always works out. And having those limitations is all part of the fun!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:06 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

bizon wrote:
TappistRT wrote:

In this screenshot, I'm playing the bass side into the Princess (Fender Princeton model) preamp block, into a 10-band graphic EQ, and going out of the Main L/R. In this case it's mono, but the way I route my Stomp, I have both the L and R at my disposal should I be using stereo effects on a different preset.

On the melody side, I'm running through the Heir Apparent distortion block, into the WhoWatt (Hiwatt) amp/cab block, into a mono Ducked Delay, a 10-band Graphic EQ, and then a stereo Glitz Reverb, going out through the Send L/R.

I occasionally have to get creative with what I can and cannot use within the parameters of the 8 blocks of DSP but it almost always works out. And having those limitations is all part of the fun!

Pretty complex signal chain!

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:02 am

I love how Bizon says, "Occasionally, I have to get creative..." :lol:

As if there was another way he managed to figure all this out.

MM

Ironwood 10 string #928

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:50 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

euphtub wrote:
I love how Bizon says, "Occasionally, I have to get creative..." :lol:

As if there was another way he managed to figure all this out.

MM

Haha, fair enough, MM!

Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:16 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next