It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
 Line 6 HX Stomp Discussion 

Post Re: Line 6 HX Stomp Discussion
Hi,
I have a helix stomp for a few weeks and need some help. I use the Helix with my 10 String Stick with Stickup.
Which input impedance should I set and how should I set the output level? The Helix is directly connected to a mixer.

Are there any other important settings for good sound with stickup?

Thanks!

Andi

Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

andikad wrote:
Hi,
I have a helix stomp for a few weeks and need some help. I use the Helix with my 10 String Stick with Stickup.
Which input impedance should I set and how should I set the output level? The Helix is directly connected to a mixer.

Thanks!

Andi

Are you using one input?
1M is the safe standard setting.
Auto Impedance is a powerful tool but only kicks in for certain Blocks/Effects and they have to be first in the chain. And the Impedance setting is only active on the main input.

Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:25 pm

Johnmarkpainter wrote:
Are you using one input?

I use the L/R Instrument Input

Andi

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

andikad wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Andi

Use 1 Mohm impedance.

If you want to process both sides of the Stick separately, go into HX Edit and choose a block of anything you want to use (amp, distortion, EQ, etc) then drag it downward. This will create a Split Y. Now click on the circle where the Split Y occurs and pan Balance A and Balance B hard left and hard right, respectively.

Then go to the end of your signal path where the Split Y merges and goes to your Main L/R (the little circle near the end). Here you can do one of two things:

1) You can have it so both sides merge into the Main L/R, which will allow you to process both the bass side and the melody side separately but in mono. If you choose to do this, then make sure you slide Pan A and Pan B hard right and hard left, matching what you did with Balance A and Balance B at the beginning of the split. Now one side of your stick goes out the Main L, and the other side out of the Main R.

Or...

2) Click on the little circle near the end of the signal path that denotes the point where the Split Y ends and drag it down (like you did at the beginning of the split). Now you've the option of having one side of your Stick going out through the Main L/R in stereo, and the other side of your Stick going out through the Send L/R in stereo. If you go this route, then make sure your panning is centered going out on both the Main L/R and the Send L/R. Routing in this manner, so that you have stereo processing for both sides will require two TS cables going out of the Main L/R, and one TRS to dual TS cable (like the one your Stick came with) going out of Send L/R. This is the way I do it. It gives you the most flexibility as far as options go, allowing you to run in either stereo or mono depending on which preset you're using, without having to reroute things.

*You can burn through the available DSP pretty quickly if you're using a lot of stereo blocks, so play around, some sacrifices may have to be made to get where you want to go. One thing is for certain though, a stereo reverb sounds sooooo much better than one in mono. :)

The rest is up to you. Add some blocks of whatever to both sides. Experiment. Have Fun!

Last edited by bizon on Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:03 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Bison. I didn’t know about option two. That’s pretty cool. I’m not really great at making presets but I’ll have to mess with that

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:02 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

After far too many hours spent tweaking this marvelous Lament Configuration of a device, the rule of thumb I adhere to going into creating a preset for the Stick on the Stomp is this. Most times, the least expected thing will sound best. For example, earlier in this thread I mentioned the Princess patch sounding killer on the bass side of The Stick. It's a model of the 12-watt Fender Princeton guitar amp. Not something you'd expect to sound completely awesome - deep, full and tubey, but crisp - with the bass side of a Chapman Stick playing through it. But awesome it does, with just a couple of tweaks.

The world of modeling is kinda like The Matrix, there are rules that can be broken because it's in the digital realm. It's modeled after the real one, but the laws of physics don't necessarily apply in the same way there because it's an imperfect simulation. Try using separate amp and cabinet blocks and putting them in different places in your signal path. Hell, try putting the cabinet first. Who knows? Cool shit can happen.

If you're looking for a really nice rock guitar amp model that works well very with the Stick, the Mandarin - modeled after a vintage Orange - with the matching cab, is my goto. It's the only one I use. It's incredibly versatile, especially when used with different mic combos.

Last edited by bizon on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

bizon wrote:
After far too many hours spent tweaking this marvelous Lament Configuration of a device, the rule of thumb I adhere to going into creating a preset for the Stick on the Stomp is this. Most times, the least expected thing will sound best. For example, earlier in this thread I mentioned the Princess patch sounding killer on the bass side of The Stick. It's a model of the 12-watt Fender Princeton guitar amp. Not something you'd expect to sound completely awesome - deep, full and tubey, but crisp - with the bass side of a Chapman Stick playing through it. But awesome it does, with just a couple of tweaks.

The fender bassman and consequently the famous alembic preamps are not all that far removed from the Princeton so it’s not *completely* unexpected :) but a good observation nonetheless [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:28 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

mike.hoegeman wrote:
bizon wrote:

The fender bassman and consequently the famous alembic preamps are not all that far removed from the Princeton so it’s not *completely* unexpected :) but a good observation nonetheless [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fair enough, Mike.

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:11 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

One of my best bass sounds is a Vox AC30, no speaker, w/ my PODX3. No Shit.

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

AnDroiD wrote:
One of my best bass sounds is a Vox AC30, no speaker, w/ my PODX3. No Shit.

I don't doubt it, Marty.

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next