It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:19 am

The Lesser of Two Evils 

Guitar Center or Sam Ash-Which do you prefer?
Guitar Center 90%  90%  [ 9 ]
Sam Ash 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

The Lesser of Two Evils 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: The Lesser of Two Evils
I live near the NEW! "Biggest" Guitar center in the world in San Jose. Inside is large noisy and chaotic. They have most stuff and are reasonably knowledgeable but they should
turn off the smoke machine for a while :? Please :|
But isn't this the lesser of not two but three evils :geek: There is a guy in a brown truck
who always wears brown shorts and black shoes who will deliver what ever you want to your door no questions asked as long as you have the right numbers on a little plastic card :twisted:
Perhaps it's really a question or one evil and a few doses of bad taste.
^j^
. ~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Fri May 02, 2008 10:08 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

While I'm all for high standards, especially when it comes to the proper treatment of laborers, this thread is leaving me a bit puzzled.

Why would we condemn the big box store but not the company that makes the gear that the big box store sells? Obviously, they have no problems with this arrangement. Are they not an equal participant?

They are just as responsible for creating the market as it exists today, especially the really big companies like __________ and ____________.

I try to buy things from my local shop whenever possible, but they just don't carry most of the gear I'm interested in.

Just reflecting.

Mon May 05, 2008 1:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

JRJ wrote:
There is a guy in a brown truck
who always wears brown shorts and black shoes who will deliver what ever you want to your door no questions asked as long as you have the right numbers on a little plastic card :twisted:
Perhaps it's really a question or one evil and a few doses of bad taste.
^j^
. ~

And to second that position - last night, I ordered a Pod X3 Live from American Musical Supply (http://www.americanmusical.com/) - the price was the same as the others, with one huge exception. Besides free shipping, it comes with a One Year Extended Warranty past the manufacturers warranty!!!! Let's see any of the other big guys do that.

On a related note, I am getting ready to let my Boss GT-6 and POD XTLive with Collectors Classic and Bass expansion packs go to Ebay - I was offerering a really good deal to anyone on Stickist, and am still willing to accept reasonable offers, but no one has shown any interest. They are in the classifieds section of the forum.

jstorm

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Mon May 05, 2008 1:23 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Like Pete said ... we have no Sam Ash in Michigan so it's either the local places (which are pretty much useless around here these days ... at least on my side of town) or Guitar Center. The Guitar Centers here in Michigan have generally been good for me though. There are a few people who really know their stuff. Many don't. But if you know what you want, the price is right.

I've actually made more purchases from Sweetwater Online. They've been very helpful. Once you become a customer, they will assign one particular person to you and their people really seem to know their stuff. I've had the same guy for years now so he knows who I am and can generally give me good advice. My favorite part though is that they are located in northern Indiana which means that if I order before lunch and take the free UPS ground shipping, I get it the next day.

Glenn

Tue May 06, 2008 11:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I like AMS (American Musical Supply) because their prices are exactly the same as Guitar Center and their products can be billed in three or more payments to your credit card. They ship fast and you just pay the monthly installments. G.A.S. Emporium!

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Tue May 06, 2008 2:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery