It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:59 am

Virtual effects and amp simulation. 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Virtual effects and amp simulation.
I love this highjack and especially the GG album "In A Glass House" but I am truly interested in where I think Wintermute16 was headed with his questions...So as I lean more and
more towards simplicity and acoustic type playing the digital whale beckons...: Has any one worked with Abelton Live and Guitar Rig as a plug in? :| :geek: I am just trying to learn how to
get myself around inside of it but it seems that the time and technology has arrived where
a system like a laptop and a Stick could go to places that music has never been before :shock:
:twisted:
jrj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:57 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I more or less split the difference when recording Stick.

I don't have anything against the software processing and I tend to use it almost exclusively when I record guitar. But with Stick, I've gone through many gyrations before arriving that the tones I use and I arrived at those tones using outboard gear because I perform live.

So when I record, I will generally use the tones from the same rig I use live ... except ... I'll turn off any and all reverb as well as delay and apply those in the software.

Glenn

Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

JRJ wrote:
...: Has any one worked with Abelton Live and Guitar Rig as a plug in? :| :geek: I am just trying to learn how to
get myself around inside of it but it seems that the time and technology has arrived where
a system like a laptop and a Stick could go to places that music has never been before :shock:
:twisted:
jrj

I think there are a lot of people here who have tried the software approach. I go between a regular live rig and a software based rig depending on what I am doing. I have definately taken the Stick far away from the 'traditional' sounding instrument using Guitar Rig but I've also been using the virtual processing for emulating regular guitar amps, etc. You can hear an example of the extreme end here: http://www.ambientstickist.com/Music/Stellar%20C.mp3 That's only Stick being played thru a Guitar Rig patch. (I've since reworked the patches to have a balance between clean and processed Stick)

So far I've been happier using the external hardware for the regular Stick sound but I think it's more about the speaker system it is playing back on rather then the processing end. It is definately possible though to do it all in the virtual world if you are so inclined to do so.

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:47 pm

I've been working lately with Digi'd Eleven plug in and a combination of other FX (including Guitar Rig and the sublime Altiverb) into Protools, and also the new live aplication that comes with Logic Pro Studio (I forget it's name Stage-something?).

I've used Ableton Live and am very interested in it post production capabilities, but am not happy with it's audio recording, so it's a glorified effects system for me.

My original question was aimed at identifying the best model for versatility in the studio but still allowing for the possibility of live work. The Logic live app works very well as a pre for a dirty great backline rig, and several of my colleagues use it as their tone shaping system with both bass and guitar, the fact that it'll handle 2 audio paths at once is clearly an advantage with the Stick.

On the subject of speakers, I have Dynaudio M2's and PMC nearfields at home, they are very capable studio monitors, but give nothing to the sound that isn't already there, so I'm looking for an effects system capable of modelling amp and cabs characteristics, as well as providing FX. No hardware unit does that currently, you need combinations, and as I already have a large amount of Apple horsepower I obviously thought of plug-ins.

Has anyone used the Logic Studio live rig with a Stick?

Eleven is very good BTW, better than Ampfarm by some way, although perhaps not as versatile as Guitar Rig.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:12 am
Contributor
Contributor

Line6 is putting out the PODX3 Pro in July. I personally think the amp modeling is great in the X3, especialy the board preamps and piezo pu configurations. Two inputs w/ mic inputs, and if they fit it w/ a good floorboard, it's gonna be a great "live" unit. I took my X3 Live back, waiting for the Pro. I want my knob twirlidge where I can reach 'em, not on the floor. (Dual hip replacements elimanate that option). Really, if you can't find amp/cab/mic configurations in this puppy, you gotta bring in the real thing. JMHO, as allways.

Marty

P.S. I haven't delved into the computer yet, but the X3 has USB so I'm guessing if you don't like thier effects, you can put inserts in..?

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:22 am

I'm just now trying out guitar rig2. Seems like a crazy amount of effects. Anytips on how to get a patch like that ambient one? I have no idea where to start, its kinda overwhelming. Staring at the screen with unlimited signal paths. I'm going to split my signal with floor pedals and then use guitar rig for ultra space effects, so latency is less important.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:20 pm

Nevermind, I spent forever trying to get things working to no avail. I usually have good luck with audio programs too. It couldn't read the imput, but other programs would. Oh well maybe another time.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:18 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hypnologist wrote:
Nevermind, I spent forever trying to get things working to no avail. I usually have good luck with audio programs too. It couldn't read the imput, but other programs would. Oh well maybe another time.

Did you set the Audio and MIDI Preferences to the desired audio inputs/outputs?

GR2 is great but I'm using it more as a "post-processing" tool, since it's not entirely satisfying to play live with the bit of latency compared to hardware units.

You can do interesting synth like sounds by triggering envelopes to control the volume pedal and/or cutoff on the Pro-53 filter for example. The demos "Noodle Soup" and "Mighty Wren" on my MySpace page are all Guitar Rig 2 sounds.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery