It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What would the Chapman Stick DREAM AMP look like? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: What would the Chapman Stick DREAM AMP look like?
This thread really makes me want to spill the beans with regard to some amp circuits I have in mind. The best way I can describe my Stick Dream Amp is a Marshall Super PA modded beyond recognition. Among the mods would be my tone stack (which is still theoretical), the power amp topology I have developed for more conventional applications (doubled), and a unique interface between the preamps and the power amps which realizes the potential of the device as a whole (in that regard, the Super PA was remarkably primitive).

I am still weighing the mortal danger of building tube amplifiers against the value of innovation, but I have to wonder if any stickists would actually buy a tube amp specifically designed for a Stick (which could therefore also be used for electric guitar and electric bass). Some considerable engineering work would be needed to keep the weight less than 70 pounds, actually quite similar to the engineering which allows Mesa Boogie's Prodigy to be so lightweight.

Also, Mesa Boogie's Prodigy sounds beautiful.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:55 am

I had absolutely no idea what i was in for when i purchased my stick. however i have found i prefer the raw sound of the stick so i am using 2x ev livex 12 wich can be used with or with out a mixer.
the cracked window in my lounge made me quite happy
:P

plenty of power and plenty of volume!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrJnOU ... A43PHMpBfg

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 am

Warwick's new light weight amp LWA1000 would be a perfect amp head for a stick with its twin preamps, both with individual compressor. Just if you don't need two DI sends. I was about to buy one, but got the GB Streamliner 900 instead. Maybe one of these too...

Here are some bass clips, but what the... :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-1Xim9CSPo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4I3uLPruRY[/youtube]

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Interesting and cheap!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

bassmayhem wrote:
Warwick's new light weight amp LWA1000 would be a perfect amp head for a stick with its twin preamps, both with individual compressor. Just if you don't need two DI sends.

That is pretty cool, but what is the point of running each side of the Stick into separate preamps if both preamps share an effects loop?

The Hartke Kilo is a good example of the kind of signal routing options I would look for (on the rear panel). The Kilo just plain weighs too much for me, however, so I am thinking of going with dedicated preamps and a PA-style power amp.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:16 pm

True!
I have a sh*tload of preams and a potent light weight power amp and two custom "created" 2x12+1x6 (No tweeters!) cabinets as well as the Bose rig. When I get a Stick - next weekend I'll check some out - I have hopefully what I need.

There is also a Boss GT-10B in my dungeons. I planned to get a GT-10 or GT-100 for "guitarish" things, but those have no DI send(!!!). Typically guitardish!

Here are some pics of my gadgets:

QSC PLX 3402 power amp (3400 W RMS bridged to 4 ohms!!!), two TKS2126 cabinets, the Boss GT-10B and some basses

My preamp rack, from top to bottom:
- Roland M-120 line mixer
- Yamaha PB1
- Eden WP100 Navigator
- Ampeg SVP PRO
- EBS-1 Version 2
- Trace Elliot V-Type

With this rig I can go stereo how much I want. Since I like rather HiFi tone, maybe one more EBS-1 would be perfect, one for each side of the stick. They have mono send - stereo return effect loops. Then just send everything through the li'l ol' Roland mixer. A very SMART mixer! 12 channels in, two effect sends from each channel with global stereo return, master and monitor out, stereo line level out and stereo DI send. These things were cheap! Noone wants to carry them around, so I got them at garage sale prices...

Well, If I get a Stick with MIDI pickup there is plenty room in the mixer for synth too...

Oh, I nearly forgot:
Some old, some demo exes, some new. Not as expensive as it can look. The best time to get things cheap is before Christmas or before the holiday season... :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I've played around a bit at home with my different preamps since I got my Stick, even a Boss GT-10B and my EBS MicroBass II, but so far I can get the best sound going direct into my Bose ToneMatch mixer. After tips from the forum I did some more tweaking and got a nice warm and full tone. I set both channels to preset "Active bass 2" and then boosted some lows and added low mid at the para eq. Compressor preset 2 sounds good.

At first I played with everything bypassed except the compressor, but it got really thin. Someone here told me to use presets, I did and it worked! I also have toyed around with the preamps, but find I just try to create the tone I already got, so what's the point? Well, there ain't no way to insert effects in the mixer, other than the few internal, but for now I am satisfied. Still learning - not gigging.

Different instrument companies write presets for their instruments for the Bose ToneMatch mixer. Anything coming from SE...?

Well, I found a better thread to put this post, so I copy it and paste there... (Bose and other sthings...)

Last edited by bassmayhem on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

During the time I tested a L1 M2, I was pretty impressed with the tone from the Tonematch. The presets are specifically set up for acoustic guitars. So if that's the basic quality you're after, you can start with those and chain in some other effect later if needed.

Glad it's working for you.

Randy

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:05 am

bassmayhem wrote:
True!
I have a sh*tload of preams and a potent light weight power amp and two custom "created" 2x12+1x6 (No tweeters!) cabinets as well as the Bose rig. When I get a Stick - next weekend I'll check some out - I have hopefully what I need.

There is also a Boss GT-10B in my dungeons. I planned to get a GT-10 or GT-100 for "guitarish" things, but those have no DI send(!!!). Typically guitardish!

Here are some pics of my gadgets:

QSC PLX 3402 power amp (3400 W RMS bridged to 4 ohms!!!), two TKS2126 cabinets, the Boss GT-10B and some basses

My preamp rack, from top to bottom:
- Roland M-120 line mixer
- Yamaha PB1
- Eden WP100 Navigator
- Ampeg SVP PRO
- EBS-1 Version 2
- Trace Elliot V-Type

With this rig I can go stereo how much I want. Since I like rather HiFi tone, maybe one more EBS-1 would be perfect, one for each side of the stick. They have mono send - stereo return effect loops. Then just send everything through the li'l ol' Roland mixer. A very SMART mixer! 12 channels in, two effect sends from each channel with global stereo return, master and monitor out, stereo line level out and stereo DI send. These things were cheap! Noone wants to carry them around, so I got them at garage sale prices...

Well, If I get a Stick with MIDI pickup there is plenty room in the mixer for synth too...

Oh, I nearly forgot:
Some old, some demo exes, some new. Not as expensive as it can look. The best time to get things cheap is before Christmas or before the holiday season... :mrgreen:

I'm curious... did you ever try the GT-100? I heard somewhere (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?t=1445600) that it would be possible to use the send/return connection of the GT-100 to emulate a second mono input (connecting the second input into the "return"), hence achieving something like what the axe-fx II does (just referring to the stereo input and dual chain processing capability here... the axe-fx II is clearly superior), at a fraction of the price. I'm looking for something I can use to play at home, with modeling amps and headphones.

Black Railboard #6760, black and gold tuners, aqua inlays

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Quote:
Some here talks about the Axe-Fx II; is it possible to connect stereo (= bass and treble side of the Stick) into that unit, or will it just work as a single input preamp

It is Plug-n-Play! And you can line up unique effects for both side's input signal path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next