It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:33 pm

Octave pedal / Alto Stick? 

Post Octave pedal / Alto Stick?
Aside from mounting a regular (i.e., longer) Stick on a stand (which I've done and am prepared to do again), the Alto seems like the natural solution for a guy with a lower back problem.
However, the low end is sacrificed - something I think I'd miss.

Does anyone have any experience with an octave pedal which truly lowers the sound of an instrument by one (and/or two) octave(s) but retains the original sound?
I tried the boss version with a guitar, but found the sounds it made to be quite nasty.

Is there anything I could plug the bass side into (without MIDI) and get a true octave drop, without the usual replacement of tone.

Thanks.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:09 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Octave pedal / Alto Stick?
tommyk wrote:
Aside from mounting a regular (i.e., longer) Stick on a stand (which I've done and am prepared to do again), the Alto seems like the natural solution for a guy with a lower back problem.
However, the low end is sacrificed - something I think I'd miss.

Does anyone have any experience with an octave pedal which truly lowers the sound of an instrument by one (and/or two) octave(s) but retains the original sound?
I tried the boss version with a guitar, but found the sounds it made to be quite nasty.

Is there anything I could plug the bass side into (without MIDI) and get a true octave drop, without the usual replacement of tone.

Thanks.

None of the octive peddles I've tried were any good. They weren't natural sounding.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I agree that an octave shifting effect is not going to sound very natural, in that case a GK equipped bass side and a Roland VG would be the best bet for pitch shifting.

A couple other thoughts:

I believe the lowest note you can get on an Alto is low F above low bass E. If you've listened to any of my music examples, I tune to a low bass E and don't think I give up much low end. With thinner gauge strings you won't get as "thick" of a tone as you would with normal bass strings, but some EQ could help with this.

Regarding back troubles, have you played seated much? With a loose belt and the belthook rested on the end of a chair (I use a keyboard bench with a flat piece of hardwood going across it, and a notch carved out of the wood for the belthook to pop into) virtually the entire weight of the instrument is transferred to the seat.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks (to you both, so far).

Rob, do you mean low bass E on a bass guitar, or on a guitar? If bass, that's surprisingly good news.

For my back, I have made a wooden square - four and a half inches square and half an inch thick. This has L brackets on the bottom - a half inch side. The other legs of the Ls then screw into a mic stand with holes drilled into it. I then use a peg-hole system to pin the Stick belt hook in place through the exposed adjustment holes.
Works quite well, if slightly wobbly, but I keep my upper body against it to counter any waver.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:23 pm
Contributor
Contributor

The best sounding one I've heard is the Electro Harmonix POG and HOG. Look into those. I use the Digitech Whammy and it's quite digital but it still gets the job done.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:23 pm

My personal favorite is the EBS Octabass. It doesn't sound natural either, but I like the way it sounds!

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:42 pm