It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:57 am

More on the FET Stick Preamp... 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: More on the FET Stick Preamp...
duclon wrote:
Speaking of small, I would use SMT resistors and caps. Then this would be really small. Your board could be the size of a quarter.

Even without using SMT components, if you use a PCB instead of breadboard the size will be small enough. In fact the size will be determined by the battery and the free space for the 1/4 jacks.
A headphone amp will be nice if it doesn't increase the size too much. To attach the case to the stick I will go for velcro. In order to avoid damage to the wood may be it will be possible to attach it to the plastic belthook...

Cheers, Daniel

Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:53 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

As soon as we get back from the NAB show in Vegas (and I'm tan and relaxed after a week in Aruba!!), I'm going to tackle this project. I've talked with several of you both here on the forum and privately, and there are varying thoughts on the actual physical layout of the pre-amp unit. Some like stomp boxes, some a unit that can be attached to the Stick itself, some a box that can be either hooked to your belt or set on an amp. If we're going to have this do double-duty as a headphone practice amp, I think the stomp box design wouldn't make sense, but I'd like feedback from you folks on your wants and needs. I'm wide open at this point...

Kris

Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Kris,

I feel that the stompbox format does not make much sense. A pre-amp / impedance buffer should always be on. Since the goal is to have just a signal boost / impedance buffer and not any sound coloration, tone control and routing features (like the StepAbout) the only thing needed is a way to turn the pre-amp off when you don't play to save battery (a switch or a jack-switch). The smaller the better. If it is small and light enough it could be mounted on the stick, but also on the belt or on the amp (maybe with velcro to prevent it to fall or be dragged by the cables).

Just my 2 cents, Daniel

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 am
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps you guys could also just sell just the circuit you make for possible integration internal to the pickup itself on a DIY basis. Imagine a rehoused Stickup with identical dimensions as the PASV4 with this circuit inside and a 9 volt. It will all fit if properly designed and could be the ultimate "active" Stickup that could would allow for uniform channelling in production Sticks. Perhaps directly available from SE on new production models and upgrades.

Of all that in addition to the simplicity of an attachable unit. By the way, a unit that needs no cords hiding directly behind the Stick would be perfect.

I think your ideas are great.

-Curtis

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:21 pm
Contributor
Contributor

arsacane wrote:
Kris,

I feel that the stompbox format does not make much sense. A pre-amp / impedance buffer should always be on. Since the goal is to have just a signal boost / impedance buffer and not any sound coloration, tone control and routing features (like the StepAbout) the only thing needed is a way to turn the pre-amp off when you don't play to save battery (a switch or a jack-switch). The smaller the better. If it is small and light enough it could be mounted on the stick, but also on the belt or on the amp (maybe with velcro to prevent it to fall or be dragged by the cables).

Just my 2 cents, Daniel

I agree wholeheartedly. I would have no problem velcroing this to the back of my stick behind the belt clip.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:36 pm