It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:26 am

Did a gig today.... 

Post Re: Did a gig today....
playing as part of a group is much easier. the solo stuff is my challenge also. akin to public speaking. the majority of the audience won't even know you did not intend to play "that" -

deep red railboard grand

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:55 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

StickBam wrote:
playing as part of a group is much easier. the solo stuff is my challenge also. akin to public speaking. the majority of the audience won't even know you did not intend to play "that" -

Unless you're an idiot like me and decide to play classical music - were everything is written down and the audience knows it by heart! I'm in such deep trouble!!!! Lol

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:28 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

bachdois wrote:
StickBam wrote:

Unless you're an idiot like me and decide to play classical music - were everything is written down and the audience knows it by heart! I'm in such deep trouble!!!! Lol

Sent by Tapatalk

I want a copy of the video of this gig. Seriously. I bet it is going to be utterly amazing, just like everything else you do!

After I get a few more tunes down, I am going after some Bach; I have been kind of slowly 'familiarizing' myself with the first 2 part invention, and can actually even do a couple of bars of it! Actually, I can play each part separately not too bad, but it needs some devoted time...

Anyways, I love how you do Classical. How's about a bunch of youtube vids of your recital setlist to 'practice'? That way I can steal your setlist...? hahaha

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:13 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
Funny thing is Rodrigo.....I've played hundreds of gigs as a band member....but when you are alone,... the stakes seem higher.
It's something I need to overcome....

cheers,
k

Was it anything like your first solo flight? :D

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My first solo flight....eheh
I feared for my life....that was 1989. Talk about sweat....
Flying airplanes has its own set of issues eh? Thx for remembering Flynlion....

Playing solo is even scarier...

chheerrrss,
Soh Loh Pilot

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

kevin-c wrote:

chheerrrss,
Soh Loh Pilot

Hey Kev, I remember my first solo flight in 1986, the instructor had me taxi over to the tower, he got out and said, do it! With sweaty hands I took off, thinking, this is easy. Then I remembered I had to get back down :o .

I am giving serious consideration to trying an open mic in the next month or so. I need to get thru 3 songs with no clams before I do. As a drummer with many many gigs, and having spoken publicly many times, the thought of playing live...alone...with my Stick... Scares the living bejeesus outta me! I can't even do a video I get so wound up! Gahhh!!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:34 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

kevin-c wrote:

chheerrrss,
Soh Loh Pilot

My first solo flight was in 1984 (am I really that old?) and I was too busy to be scared. The real fun didn't happen until I left the traffic pattern and ventured out into the practice area on my own, now that was a good time. I still got the cut up shirt from that first solo hanging in my garage :D

I've never played my Stick in public, y'all are braver than me.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:54 am

And young Kevin got a review in the local birdcage liner:

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2016/02/10/trysted-sister-rocks-with-powerhouse-show

I've met Kevin a few times, he's a lovely chap, and he has a habit of getting gigs when I've already got unbreakable plans. I also know the writer of the review, and he was suitably fascinated and impressed.

Good job Mr. C!!!!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Paul, thanks for the bump!

cheers,
kev

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

pmonne wrote:
And young Kevin got a review in the local birdcage liner:

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2016/02/10/trysted-sister-rocks-with-powerhouse-show

I've met Kevin a few times, he's a lovely chap, and he has a habit of getting gigs when I've already got unbreakable plans. I also know the writer of the review, and he was suitably fascinated and impressed.

Good job Mr. C!!!!!!
From the article:
Quote:
Last month, I spent an hour at the Acoustic Cafe at Brantford Music Centre, 4322 Colborne St., listening to an instrument that I'd never before seen or heard.

It's called a Chapman Stick and, according to its player, Kevin Chaisson, was invented by a fellow named Emmett Chapman in the early 1970s. Chapman developed the tapping or fretting method of playing in 1969.

It is a 10- or 12-string instrument with the strings stretched on a piece of rosewood over three feet long.

The upper, or treble, strings are played with the right fingers. while the left hand fingers the bass strings, which are tuned in fifths, while the treble strings are tuned in fourths.

The sound produced is beautiful as it comes through a speaker system, which Chaisson controls with a foot board, with settings such as delay, reverb, chorus and stereo to enhance the full sound of the strings. Although the instrument has guitar-like frets, Chaisson tells me that a huge machine now stamps them out of aluminum, with the frets grooved into the metal.

By tapping rather than plucking the strings, the fingers of both hands are free to strike the strings on the finger board just behind the appropriate frets for the desired notes. Designed as a polyphonic chordal instrument, the Chapman stick can sound many more notes, at the same time, than some other stringed instruments, making it comparable to a keyboard instrument. As a result, many Stick players have mastered simultaneously performing bass lines, melody lines, chords or textures.

Chaisson explained that the Chapman Stick is used on a number of recordings by Peter Gabriel and King Crimson.

During his presentation, Chaisson played covers, including Elton John's Daniel, Tears For Fears' Mad World, Sting's Field Of Gold, Pink Floyd's Brain Damage and Gordon Lightfoot's If You Could Read My Mind.

Chaisson has been playing the Chapman stick for five years. He plays, at times, delicate passages. And, other times, we hear a more forceful percussive sound depending on the dynamics required of a particular tune. Be sure to watch for his return to this location in July. The Stick's captivating sound will get you hooked.
Congratulations on rocking it out, Kevin!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery