It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:46 am

ACTV-2 level drop in Stereo 
Contributor
Contributor

Post ACTV-2 level drop in Stereo
Can anyone explain why the overall output level is much quieter and kind of wimpy when I use the split stereo switch? When I am switched in mono the overall volume is way hotter. I am wondering if there is something wrong. I would have guessed that the overall volume might drop when combining the two signals because of some loading of the pickups caused by the combination.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:46 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: ACTV-2 level drop in Stereo
I really wish there were some schematics of the pickup electronics available (and for the NS as well). It sure would make troubleshooting easier. :p

There shouldn't be any loading on the coils with active pickups if the signal is combined after the amplifier circuits. However, combining the signal of two discrete line amplifiers is actually tricky business. Without resistance before the mix point, the output of one amp "sees" the input of another (non-technical jargon explanation). I posted a switching schematic elsewhere on this forum that uses this (very) passive mixing, but near as I can tell the stock wiring also mixes the signal this way, anyway.

I can see combining signals like this in on-board instrument circuitry, because space is indeed at a premium, and additional active components add to battery drain. However, it does open you up to all sorts of signal impedance weirdness.

Based on this, I'd still agree with that the combined signal *should* be lower level...not higher. At least that's how it seems to be working on my NS, which is also active. I could be missing something (like completely misunderstanding how the SE electronics are wired).

Rod Elliot has an excellent article on his website about this (sorry I'm mobile otherwise I'd link it). Any other electronics gurus more competent than I care to take a stab at it?

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My active 2 is much louder in mono as well. I never really had a problem with it. I'm either playing mono or stereo never both on the same gig.

For me the mono is for jamming when you just have one amp/line available. I always welcome the added volume in this scenario.

Brett

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

zaubertuba wrote:
I'd still agree with that the combined signal *should* be lower level...not higher.

Right that is my understanding, and I use that term loosely ;)

Brett Bottomley wrote:
My active 2 is much louder in mono as well. I never really had a problem with it. I'm either playing mono or stereo never both on the same gig.

For me the mono is for jamming when you just have one amp/line available. I always welcome the added volume in this scenario.

Brett

Well it's good, I guess to know that this is the case on other people's instruments. I don't actually gig (strictly studio cat) so it shouldn't be that big of a deal for me either. The main problem is that I run through a Bass Pod XT which normally handles all of the bass side amp modeling and fx and then the melody side goes through a millenia mic pre into Guitar Rig. Sometimes I like to just play the instrument in mono, which would come out the bass output and consequently through my Bass Pod XT. The increase in level in the mono output hits the front end of the Bass Pod really hard and therefore all of my presets sound overdriven, especially anything with a compressor on the front end. The Bass Pod has an attenuate switch on the back for Active pickups with hotter output but I already have that engaged obviously so it can't help.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:48 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:

Brett

It's probably fine if you like the level for mono playing. The real question is, is the lack of headroom when you're playing in stereo problematic?

For me, my NS drops volume when I go to mono, which really makes it problematic switching stereo-to-mono or back in the middle of a tune.

I found the article:

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/audio-mixing.htm

Some good reading!

------Bryce

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

My Brain Hurts!!!!!
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... fttZIK5EHQ

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:06 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Stick138 wrote:
Can anyone explain why the overall output level is much quieter and kind of wimpy when I use the split stereo switch? When I am switched in mono the overall volume is way hotter. I am wondering if there is something wrong. I would have guessed that the overall volume might drop when combining the two signals because of some loading of the pickups caused by the combination.

It's easy to take the module out. Just take out the top two big phillips head screws on the top
(shown by arrows here) and slide the module out.

Here are a couple of pics of the inside of the module:

The two trim-pots are clearly labeled, and the direction you need to turn them to adjust the balance for each is shown. Clockwise for louder, counterclockwise for quieter. B is for bass, M for melody ;)

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Greg, I know about those pots from reading somewhere else on this forum. The issue was not the level balance between the Bass and Melody sides but the difference between the level of the discrete outputs vs. when they are combined using the mono switch. When I flick it to mono there is at least a 3dB increase, if not more (haven't measured it on a meter),

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:08 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Stick138 wrote:
Thanks Greg, I know about those pots from reading somewhere else on this forum. The issue was not the level balance between the Bass and Melody sides but the difference between the level of the discrete outputs vs. when they are combined using the mono switch. When I flick it to mono there is at least a 3dB increase, if not more (haven't measured it on a meter),
So if you turn the gain down on both of the pots you can balance it out.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

How would you accomplish the same thing with an NS???

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:49 pm