It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:33 pm

Flat Wound Strings 

Post Flat Wound Strings
Hi I was wondering if Flat Wound Strings are available options for strings sets. Anybody? tanx.

r

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:52 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Flat Wound Strings
Not on a Stick (yet). For some time I used flat wound strings for a drop-C tuned fretless guitar, but now I've moved back to round wound because I like that sound better (also having changed from a sharp sounding pickup to a less sharp sounding). What I like with flat wounds is that you get less finger noise when playing, but on a fretless finger noise mostly happens when you actually play notes, so it is effectively masked out anyway.

I don't think finger noise is an issue in Stick playing. Does someone has a different opinion? Maybe that depends a bit on what tunes you are performing?

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I remember a friend who bought, 5 or 6 years ago, his old Stick (from the 70's) with flat wound strings on it. He really liked them, but never can ordered new ones when he had to change them :(
He had to switch to regular wound strings

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

embryo wrote:
Hi I was wondering if Flat Wound Strings are available options for strings sets. Anybody? tanx.

r

It is my understanding that early sticks were sold with flat wounds, but fell out of favor as the instrument evolved.

I suppose if you REALLY want to try flat wounds, you would have to assemble your own set. Bass side would be easy, but melody side I suspect would be more difficult.

While not true flatwounds, I do wonder how these sound?

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/w ... reId=10051

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Why are you interested in flat wounds? Is it for the sound? I'm asking because myself I didn't really like the traditional bright 'n clunky Stick sound last year when I decided to try out this instrument. PASV4 pickup set to "full beef" was the fattest I could find, and I do love that sound... but I must admit I would find it useful with a seamless tone control right at your hands on the instrument. For those extra dark moments.

I'm also thinking that since you don't do much string bending on a Stick those Elixir strings might work well? I tried them on an acoustic guitar and they keep the tone a intonation like ten times longer compared to normal strings. With normal strings I've noticed you need to change strings on a Stick after four to five weeks to stay on top and that's not only boring but kind of expensive in the long run.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Those black wrapped ones look interesting, but it would be difficult assembling a full stick set.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Lucas wrote:
Those black wrapped ones look interesting, but it would be difficult assembling a full stick set.

Here's Kai Kurosawa playing a tap instrument from another company, with what appear to be the nylon wrapped strings. I actually think the tone is pretty good, and there's a lot of good technique ideas in the video as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnpttxy8 ... re=related

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Godsmonkey wrote:
embryo wrote:

r

It is my understanding that early sticks were sold with flat wounds, but fell out of favor as the instrument evolved.

I suppose if you REALLY want to try flat wounds, you would have to assemble your own set. Bass side would be easy, but melody side I suspect would be more difficult.

While not true flatwounds, I do wonder how these sound?

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/w ... reId=10051

Yeah, if its a 34" scale stick, D'addarios usually work fine for testing purposes. They don't trim the end of the string like Ernie Ball does. The hard part? finding light guage strings in flat wounds. Most Daddario packs dont come smaller than 11's in flat wound.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:22 pm