It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Grand Stick Players - why did you get one? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Grand Stick Players - why did you get one?
BSharp wrote:
In my view, the four main contributors to string tapping tone and timber have always been, in order of importance, the setup, the player's hands, then the strings, then the pickups. Far behind these comes the structural material of the through-neck beam itself

Sorry about my inaccuracy in quoting you Emmett, that's what I meant, that the pickups were the first construction-related component that made a difference to the tone.

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 am
Contributor
Contributor

Alain wrote:
I play the piano...in fact, better since I got my stick. I use to say...more I play my stick, better I'm on piano and the contrary is also true...more I play on my piano, better I play the stick...these two instruments are closely related. You can't get this bass tone on the piano though. I love them both.

Ah gotcha! Sorry I thought you meant you were picking between one and the other!

I too have definitely found my rhythmic playing on piano has got a lot better, electric piano/rhodes/organ parts in particular have got a lot sharper, more complex and interconnected as a result.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mcgrahamhk wrote:
BSharp wrote:
In my view, the four main contributors to string tapping tone and timber have always been, in order of importance, the setup, the player's hands, then the strings, then the pickups. Far behind these comes the structural material of the through-neck beam itself

Sorry about my inaccuracy in quoting you Emmett, that's what I meant, that the pickups were the first construction-related component that made a difference to the tone.

A big part of the difference in the Railboard's tone is the orientation of the module, which places the pickups at slightly different harmonic nodes relative to the vibrating strings.. The melody strings are mellower and the bass a little edgier. It makes for a very nice balance, and a unified tone, if you are looking for "one big instrument" while still retaining the ability for differentiated sounds via effect and on=board.filtering.

This video really shows off the unified tone I'm talking about:

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

greg wrote:
mcgrahamhk wrote:
BSharp wrote:

A big part of the difference in the Railboard's tone is the orientation of the module, which places the pickups at slightly different harmonic nodes relative to the vibrating strings.. The melody strings are mellower and the bass a little edgier. It makes for a very nice balance, and a unified tone, if you are looking for "one big instrument" while still retaining the ability for differentiated sounds via effect and on=board.filtering.

This video really shows off the unified tone I'm talking about:

Totally Greg, 100% agree. I noticed the reversed block orientation when I first ordered it, same effect as a reversed P or tele pickup. And yes, the unified tone is awesome. I just play mine in mono into a Fishman Loudbox and it sounds killer.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I just spent a nice long time with the 10-string Railboard. Plays so well, and all the simplified tactile and visual cues, plus a little extra string spacing....

I really do believe 10 is easier, but maybe that's just me...

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Got a 10-string first, but the guitar side wasn't low enough for my taste because I wanted to play a big dumb open E chord so, went baritone but still not low enough and then not high enough either. Met EC @ NGSW playing his latest grand tuned 5 bass strings & 7 gtr. strings and boom, problem solved. The 7 guitar strings feel awesome range-wise, and I don't need more than 5 bass strings. Plus Gene and Ken were already sounding huge on their grands! Sold the 10 to Jeff, bought my 1st 7+5 with a stickup and played that for years but it's gross now so I've retired it. Bought my 2nd grand like new from Mike in SMdA, but it was 6+6 with the active pickup. It sat unplayed for years until I finally asked if SE could make a 7+5 active pickup for it, but EC hipped me to just sliding the pickup down in place because it's long enough to cover 7 strings. Yay! Now that 2nd grand has been played so much that it's getting gross too. Oh well. I have a 3rd grand now but need to someday upgrade the pickup to an active one because IMHO it is superior in tone to the passive. I feel that way about electric guitars as well. Also the stick is already so wide across that I prefer closer spaced strings. Tried my friends warr but the extra weight plus wider neck from big spacing was a double thumbs down. Hope this helps. Try the Grand! You'll love it! It's a way of life!

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:36 am

My reason was slightly more pragmatic than a lot of people here, I'm afraid -- I got a grand because I was offered one. I knew I'd only be able to afford one Stick in my practical lifetime and had decided that, for preference, I should get the "most" stick I could and that meant a Grand for the widest range. Of course I also knew I would take what was in my price range, regardless of the strings.

I was very fortunate indeed to be offered what I got. Incidentally, it seems mine is one of the earlier Grands with a narrower string spacing than modern ones. One day I hope to have the wherewithal to compare...

Rosewood Grand #1496, Matched Reciprocal

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes"

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

For me is about the string spacing and wideness of the instrument, i find it much more comfortable than a normal Stick.

And i don´t know if it´s only a sensation but i have the feeling it sounds bigger.

Sat May 18, 2019 12:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

For me it was just easier to keep the same bass side fingerings for more chords by just going up a fifth. (Often poor voice leading, but not if you are careful and listening) Also just more notes.

Brett

Sat May 18, 2019 6:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Olivier wrote:
baggetthouse wrote:
I may be one of the few to play 10 strings and have decided to stay with it. 22 years and counting. I love it. Something about doing more with less.

There have been a few times where I could see a benefit of having an extra string on the melody side. I've made due with hand position shifts and it hasn't hindered me, I guess.

+1

... (+1) + (+1) = +2 ...
... but 22 years I can not offer...

Sat May 18, 2019 6:57 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next