It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:50 am

R U a Blonding or a Vermeer (what type of artist R U)? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: R U a Blonding or a Vermeer (what type of artist R U)?
maxr wrote:

I won't bore you longer with tales the like of which many of you can tell. The point is, that although I'm not sure you could get away with that now, the experience of 'winging' it puts you right on the spot, and there's a great buzz to be had from making sense of that situation, and some good experience to be got from figuring how best to deal with it when you don't. I hope this doesn't depress the perfectionists too much, but you also quickly find out just how much nonsense you can get away with without the audience noticing :o

Max
Hi Max,

Thanks for your post. Very entertaining.

The shy cousin of the "winging it" you describe is free improvisation. An art form that requires a lot of concentration and willingness to take risks.

The most exhilarating experiences I've ever had (even more so than winging it with the Dave Matthews Band in front of 30,000 people) were improvisations that really brought out music I didn't know I had in me... when it's working, its magical, when it's not, it's really not. There's no greater gamble in my mind than truly winging it - no licks, chord structure or groove for a safety net.

Truly improvising is an amazing experience. I'm really glad to have made it a such a big part of my musical life (even as a kid, I was there...My Mom, after listening to me noodle around on the living room organ for a while, "can't you play any songs?")

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Improvising is natural. Life is improvised based on circumstance, personal skills and experiences. We react instinctively to spontaneous situations. Life is not scripted.
If we develop musical skills, likewise, we can respond sonically to stimulus, internal or external. Learn the language, develop technique and ear, express your inner self.
Study and practice promotes freedom

Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
Truly improvising is an amazing experience. I'm really glad to have made it a such a big part of my musical life (even as a kid, I was there...My Mom, after listening to me noodle around on the living room organ for a while, "can't you play any songs?")

I had the same experience with my grandmother as a child at the piano. "Play a piece of music or stop fooling around!" :lol:

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:59 am