It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:44 pm

Grand Grand Stick ? 

Post Re: Grand Grand Stick ?
Hey Greg,

I'm still a bass player for 95% of the time. So I'm used to much wider string spacings.

With the Grand I tend to damp, or even play, strings next to the string that I'm actually playing on purpose (obviously because of a lack of technic and strange muscle memory issues). I absolutely get the advantages of a tight string spacing as it makes it much easier to play two or even three strings with the same finger at the same time - and for some cords, that's just great.
But most of the time - especially when playing basslines - I'd prefer a wider spacing so that strings next to the one I do want to play don't interfere as easily.

I thought that a wider spacing would make things easier for me for quite some time and the little bit of playing I did on the warr confirmed that for me.
As always, if you're trying something that has one or two things that you like, although there are a bunch of other things that you don't like, you get the idea of exploring a possibility to frankenstein all the stuff that you like of different instruments into one ;-)

Personally, it wouldn't bother me too much if the neck was wider, and same is true for a little bit of extra weight. I'd rather have a wider spacing as I experienced this as the one thing that I really liked about the Warr.
(as there is a 10 string Grand being offered, I got the feeling that I'm not the only one with that wish)

Unfortunately, I really do like to have much overlap between the sides (I even lowered the whole melody side by one string for some time), and thats much easier to achieve with a 12 string, without loosing too much range.
So, the 10 string Grand option, supposingly, won't really tick all boxes for me ...

Best, Andreas

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:14 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

So, I own and regularly play several of the instruments being discussed.

- 12 String Grand Stick
- 10 String Grand Stick
- 12 String Warr Trey Gunn model

For string spacing, the 10 String Grandi is widest. The 12 String Grand is narrowest. 12 String Warr is in the middle.

I genuinely love all three of them. I'm not going to say anything that will start a war (pun intended) on this forum, but they are all play and sound great. I go through phases where I tend to play one of them much more than the others, and then my mood changes and another one wins my favor.

Maybe think about it like this... Do you really need/want 12 strings? If yes, then the Warr has the widest 12 string spacing. If 10 is really all you need, then the 10 Sting Grand will get you the widest spacing possible.

Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:57 am

Hey Karma,

thanx so much for your insides!!

I got a similar feeling as you.
The bad part is, that my Warr (Raptor) is in mediocre condition and all possibilities I tried to reach out to warrguitars to get it fixed didn't work (several emails, phone calls, etc .. The only thing that did work was that they sold strings to me ... so frankly, getting rid of the warr, just because of the absolutely non existent customer service is an option that strikes my mind more often theses days ....).
But enough of my wining and complaining here.

I have the feeling, that 10 strings won't make me as happy as 12 do. And a wider spacing would make me happier than a narrower does.
My perfect version would therefore be a GrandGrand ... but as this one is not available, I got to settle for one of the existing options.

Just don't know for which one ;-)

Best, Andreas

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:15 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

qbensis wrote:
Hey Karma,

thanx so much for your insides!!

I got a similar feeling as you.
The bad part is, that my Warr (Raptor) is in mediocre condition and all possibilities I tried to reach out to warrguitars to get it fixed didn't work (several emails, phone calls, etc .. The only thing that did work was that they sold strings to me ... so frankly, getting rid of the warr, just because of the absolutely non existent customer service is an option that strikes my mind more often theses days ....).
But enough of my wining and complaining here.

I have the feeling, that 10 strings won't make me as happy as 12 do. And a wider spacing would make me happier than a narrower does.
My perfect version would therefore be a GrandGrand ... but as this one is not available, I got to settle for one of the existing options.

Just don't know for which one ;-)

Best, Andreas

Lol I am keeping my insides to myself!

Anyways, there are less strings, but the railboard is a killer instrument, and it seems to me that there is a bit more spacing between the strings. Plus it looks cool and sounds fantastic. I have only ever played one Warr, and it was a different feeling that's for sure! Maybe I am partial to the Stick, because it's the only tapper I have ever known? I bet the NS/Stick would be a bit "spacier" also, while allowing for a different stylistic approach... I don't know about the instrument as I have never played one. (I am thinking of procuring an NS/Stick myself, along with an SG12, but don't tell anyone...)

Anyways, I think that time and practice can really equalize any issues one might have with spacing. I myself play as if I were wearing oven mitts (Pregnant Yak tone)

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:58 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Some design features blend, forgive, complement each other - win win. Others pose a design dilemma - how to resolve, how to compromise? The board's too wide, can't get your hand over it. String spacing's too narrow, can't distinguish one from the other. What to do?

I favor wider string spacing with ten strings but I have to respect those who apply their artistry to twelve. Ten or twelve - turns out to be a wash I guess. What do I do to make 10 like 12:

BASS SIDE - Use my right thumb to help arpeggiate left hand (LH) chords, usually while sustaining a note or chord in the right hand (RH).

MELODY SIDE - Jump over my LH to reach some very low melody notes. Also, continue the RH theme or line on the bass side with the LH, often in the lower register.

A new layer of technique can compensate for lack of equipment (in this case two strings).

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Emmet,

You got me with this, as I - more often than not - tend to favor learning a new skill set over aquiering a new tool.
Nevertheless, sometimes these two go hand in hand I guess, and one can support and inspire the other. Suppposingly this was part of the reason to invent a new instrument for you? ;-)

Thank you very much for the valuable playing tips!
They're for sure food for thought
And thnx for sharing your view - the possibility of direct contact with you (and greg) is a big part of what makes playing the stick feel more like teaming up with a bunch of new friends than just purchasing a new tool

Best, Andreas

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:48 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

A - You got me with this, as I - more often than not - tend to favor learning a new skill set over aquiering a new tool.

E - From the early '70s I designed The Stick as a minimalist instrument, and for maximum performance. Hard to believe because it's a wider and longer board with so many strings. Still, it's like a 2x4 with some distinctive trademarked bevels and curves. I wanted the musician to stand out, not the machine. In a way, I failed because the instrument design gets so much attention.

A - Nevertheless, sometimes these two go hand in hand I guess, and one can support and inspire the other. Suppposingly this was part of the reason to invent a new instrument for you? ;-)

E - Exactly right, and the two-handed method came first on my 9-string guitar and lead me to the Stick design. I could have included a body and called it a guitar of some sort. I'll never know if it would have been a bigger success that way, or if it has the capacity of more solid success as its own "Stick" instrument.

A - Thank you very much for the valuable playing tips! They're for sure food for thought
And thnx for sharing your view - the possibility of direct contact with you (and greg) is a big part of what makes playing the stick feel more like teaming up with a bunch of new friends than just purchasing a new tool

E - Nice words, many thanks! I'm a bit compulsive about posting on this excellent forum and I read it over as a daily routine as I've done on all Stick forums going back to the early '90s.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:12 pm