It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:27 pm

Ironwood 1980 #715 and the beginning of my Stick journey 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Ironwood 1980 #715 and the beginning of my Stick journey
embryo wrote:
Andy,
'was listening to ur music and i love ur tasteful and understated approach on the stick. u have a great way of making music with it without trying to emphasize the stick's inherent character in the front of the arrangement and the mix. very inspiring!

thanks for the reassuring advice for the old stick.

Embryo ... there's a great article on the Stick Enterprises site written by a Stick player about the referb work done on his polycarb Stick with some great photos. The Stick referb looks amazing ... you may want to give the article a read. http://stick.com/articles/ericsstickretrofit/

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

88persuader wrote:
Embryo ... there's a great article on the Stick Enterprises site written by a Stick player about the referb work done on his polycarb Stick with some great photos.

I think that's the first time I have been referred to as a "Stick player"! Thanks, that felt good.

I'd also be happy to answer any more questions you have about this, except for how much it all costs. The cost varies too much and only SE can give you an accurate estimate.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

embryo wrote:
Andy,
'was listening to ur music and i love ur tasteful and understated approach on the stick. u have a great way of making music with it without trying to emphasize the stick's inherent character in the front of the arrangement and the mix. very inspiring!

thanks for the reassuring advice for the old stick.

Thanks for the compliment! Like many people here, I'm just trying to make some music and (after many years) arrived at the Stick as the best way to do it.

Definitely check out Eric's refurb article above - note that his old Polycarb Stick has stainless frets, not nickel.

Let us know how you go!

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Season's greetings from sunny Singapore everyone!

Thanks to the great advice from everyone who responded!

Wow it's been 2 weeks since ground zero on the stick for me and it's been quite a mind and finger boggling but richly fascinating experience so far! Getting used to the orientation and weight of the ironwood strapped on I initially felt all kinds of pains and strains from the neck, shoulder back and hips but now thanks for the numerous wonderful discussions here about proper posture proper orientation of the stick to the self I'm kinda getting used to it and it seems to be getting more comfortable with each new day.

As I haven't gotten any reference materials to guide me yet I've already figured out a coupla recurring voicing shapes throughout the neck for the maj, min, maj7, min7 and add69 chords. The one thing I've come to immediately realize is that having played guitar for so long the biggest adjustment I have to get used to is the wider fret spacings of the standard stick. I was watching Kevin Keith, Greg Howard, Steve Adelson and Emmett Chapman playing such wonderful music with such remarkable ease which I'm sure comes from years of woodshedding. I was seriously considering ordering if not buying a used standard bamboo stick but I can't help but wonder if perhaps the guitar stick is gonna be better suited for me? I'm aware that I will lose the low end range on the guitar stick but I imagine that the guitar stick with the midi pickups attached to the roland vg99 could possibly resolve that? My current musical intentions is to learn to play the stick to accompany my voice in a solo context taking Kevin Keith as a fine reference.

Would appreciate if anybody here has advice on the Guitar Stick and audio/vid reference for the Guitar Stick's action with the Roland VG99?

Regards

Randolf

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:36 am