It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:36 am

On Balcony TV 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post On Balcony TV
New video from BTV Mexico:

http://youtu.be/c8NG24prSYI

First time I record this one in a video.
Enjoy!

-JBA

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: On Balcony TV
Great stuff. Interesting use of backing tracks.
I haven't thought of using these kind of tracks, especially with additional stick parts that are prerecorded. This may be a way for me to play live, some of my newer studio tracks that are arranged.

You have me thinking (as you always do)

Nice work
Brett

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hey Brett,
Thanks for commenting.
I usually don't like this kind of thing, as people are usually seeing the Stick live for the first time, and if they don't believe its live without tracks, they get very confused with something like this. But I have played this song before without a track and its not the same.
The backing track is really the stuff from the CD, with the bass and main melody muted and exported for live use. My CD was so studio-produced that many of the tracks end up being impossible to play live. But some get new backing tracks (like a video of cobblestone stairs i posted a few years ago) and some are arranged for simpler live use.
By the way, all the sounds heard on this track are created with the stick, hitting, slapping, rubbing and picking to make the rhythm, and then the melodic accompaniment...
The rhythm track on the aforementioned Cobblestones track was made using screwdriver samples and other home devices... :-)
Maybe I'll record some other "JBA" song with the backing tracks and upload the videos. I also plan to record some new classical pieces with a simple percussion accomp.
Hopefully soon...
Take care!
:-)

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:30 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Wow dude you are famous! A pro t.v show playing stick on a rooftop, it doesn't get much better than that huh. Looks like you are in an amazing place and in HD too.

Now to the song, a classic I remember you composing. I think we were both starting on our stick 'beats&percussive trip at the time. You had just gotten that insane looper(u still rockin that?), I had my little boss one and we would be amazed at the different klinks and bass drum or congaesque tones. Of course the loopers were key so we could actually play music over it and have the beats sound natural and integrated. Kinda the opposite of using a rock drum kit loop or something ya know. There is so much more we need to explore with this. In hindsight Marco Cerlletti had done stuff that is sorta similar but with delay loops I think.

Hails for picking that song for t.v, great vibe and showcase of your style I'd say.
I am always jealous of your natural feel and great ability to play live. You don't seem too nervous and your melody solo's are spot on. I think you have the ability to play as good alone as with an audience or camera. The bass drum type groove is simple yet so nice as a loop too, just a satisfying tone ya know.

It has a sorta paradise type of feel for me, like a hidden temple underneath the glowing psychedelic moonlight, in a forest grove with slightly cartoon like animated creatures absorbing the magic you send forth. As if you were imagining and creating new species with the song.

As for prerecorded tracks, its always a tough call. I think it can get you closer to the sonic vision in your head and express definite complex concepts otherwise difficult. Like super fast electronic beats and glitchy sfx in my case. All with pattern changes and quantized perfectly to the looper. I used to make all my beats in real time live,(reason or battery) and while I am glad I could do it (technologically) I'd spend less time actually playing stick or being in the present moment. I try to alternate like I think you do as well.

I just got a $2 espresso machine(garage sale) so I am crazed on caffeine, its weird cause I think it actually has an effect on me(unlike coffee/energy drinks). Maybe the full cup is like way too much, I don't have any little shot glasses. And just using regular coffee roast? maybe thats it...

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:36 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hey Ben,
Thanks a lot for your post. As colorful as always!
I remember that bass groove time, and I think its a real winner as far as Stick goes, as you take advantage of all the bass side has to offer, with low notes, fill ins with delay etc...
I really appreciate your insight on this, thanks again.
You're definitely right about balancing the tech stuff and just playing. I think sometimes we'd go over the top with devices and loops and sounds and we ended up just moving knobs and not really "playing". But it is cool to take a complete sonic idea and deliver it to people like that. The cool thing (for me) is just hitting play and not worrying about knobs, faders, piano keys etc...
Its kinda cheating in a sense, but I always try to specify to people that although I'm just hitting play on iTunes, I sampled, arranged and produced the whole track and am just using it as an accompaniment to demonstrate what the CD is like...
And what can I say about Hidden temples and psychedelic moonlight? Yeah!!! My man Oceans...
I'll hopefully have some new videos soon that will be very different to the others so far. I'm excited... :-D
-JBA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:30 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm a JBA fan, so I hope people don't take this the wrong way. I really don't enjoy watching musicians playing live with backing tracks. Sure, I can still appreciate the music/recording, and in this case the musicianship. If I didn't know the Stick and the performer, I wouldn't really have a clue what was actually being played and what was pre-recorded. For all I know, it could be some kind of loop playing Eigenharp device. In which case, I'd be much happier listening to the recording (with or without visual stimulation). FWIW I'm convinced that Japhlet could come up with a solo arrangement of this tune that would blow me away.

Generally speaking, people use backing tracks to save time or to save money, neither of which make a compelling argument for using them. I see much of this mentality with loop station users out there; it's sort of like "imitation live music". It's not the same thing. Every now and then I'm proven wrong and I love it anyway - there are always exceptions.

Having said all that, most audiences will never think twice about it; in fact, chances are they'll probably like it better with backing tracks.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:28 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Regardless of other opinions about backing tracks... stellar performance!
:mrgreen:

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hey Andy!
Thanks for the comment, and Happy Birthday!
I am also a big fan, and was not offended because I feel the same way.
The reason I went against my natural preference, was just for the video collection. I have played this song solo and had a video on youtube for quite a while, but since now I am trying to collect videos for promotional purposes, I wanted one of IFVG taking advantage of the free HD cam...
I have other examples of solo stick, Stick/Drums, Stick/Drums/Piano, and wanted one with the track.
Was it worth it? Perhaps it would have been cooler to be on the roof playing a moodier solo version. But oh well. I really like the orchestration this song has, and though I agree that people will have no idea what is going on, some do, and either way, I guess I didn't really care this time... :-)
Let not the fear of controversy hinder your comments!
-JBA

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:51 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Japhlet - thanks for the birthday wishes, young whippersnapper. I'm glad you took my response the way I intended it - not personally, and I was happy to see Brett raise the discussion in a separate thread.

I take your points about why you chose to go with the backing track, and the rooftop video does look & sound great.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:04 am