It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:14 am

"Until" By TheHitman 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post "Until" By TheHitman
i've now had my instrument 6 months. this is my latest song, and i feel like I'm getting better.

all sounds are from the 10 String Krappy Touchstyle, live drums, and programmed drums. i did everything on this, performed, recorded, mixed, etc.

i've been getting a better sound because i modified my drum mics and got a U87 Clone mic which i use on the amp.

i'm having fun dialing up tones. just check this out. i hope people enjoy this. it was a ton of fun to make.

Stick #5313 10 String Padauk (Classic Tuning)
10 String Krappy Touchstyle

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:14 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: "Until" By TheHitman
I like your musical ideas...nice job.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

thanks Alain. i appreciate you taking the time to listen and respond. i love Stick music and i wish there was more music out there made exclusively on Stick. i like synths but the organic sound of real strings just feels so much better to me. guitar and bass are awesome, but they just aren't for me. it's so much fun exploring all the things that can be done with a Stick.

the things i'm good at i seem to do very well and i utilize those strengths. i'm good with rhythms, layering, tone, production, and groove. i'm very weak at writing melodies, and i'm terrible at playing an improvised solo. i'll get better in time. the next 3 songs i'm working on are much more rooted in jazz (and jam style) music, so i'll be working on those weaknesses quite a bit. the songs are gonna be fun, i just have to be patient.

i'm happy to have a chance to share this stuff with other Stick players. ya'll cats are the bomb!

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:42 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Cool tune, man! Lots of stuff going on here, I really like the different tones you squeeze out of that thing! Nice recording, sounds great! lol You are light years ahead of me; really good playing dude!I can't wait to hear what you post next!

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:45 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

that's much appreciated jayesskerr. i've been engineering and producing for many years so if nothing else, i can at least get a decent sound. the secret to knowing if things are sounding good is if your cat comes into the studio and curls up near the speakers while you work. they just know what's good and well, they got better things to do if what you're doing isn't up to snuff. lol

i'm really such a novice at playing. in that area you are light years ahead of me. i seen and hear stuff you've done. my stuff has been so heavily produced, refined, and poked and prodded that the truth of it is, i spend as much time editing as i do actually playing and that's a considerable amount of time on both ends. also, if you actually look at what i'm really playing, the parts are super simple. they just sound cool because of the layering and interlocking of the parts. pretty much all the rhythm parts are just 1 note in the left on the bass and 2 note on the right on the treble side. it's back and forth, but i made it groove, so it feels like there's actually something happening. some of the tracks were recorded through an amp with both side of the instrument being recorded with the 1 mic and other parts are recorded split bass and treble so that certain parts had a more unified sound and other parts sound like 2 distinct parts. i'd say there was about 50% amp recorded tracks and 50% recorded direct. there's also 2 live interlocking drum beats and along with sequenced drum samples. what can i say? i'm still a drummer at heart. to perform this live i'd need at least 5 stick players, 2 live drummers and a DJ (or Sampler) to trigger the loops. like you said, there's a lot going on, but it's so much fun to do it that way. i like the sound.

i have 5 new songs in the works. the next one is mapped out and i've started laying tracks today. you're gonna like it, (according to my cat at least...lol)

thanks again for taking the time to listen and respond. i'd still make the music even if no one heard it, but it is something i like to share because i enjoy listening to it and therefore maybe others will as well.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

thehitman wrote:
the things i'm good at i seem to do very well and i utilize those strengths. i'm good with rhythms, layering, tone, production, and groove. i'm very weak at writing melodies, and i'm terrible at playing an improvised solo. i'll get better in time.
I very much enjoyed "Until"! You had a wide range of good sounds blended together into a nice, tight groove. My own cat stopped licking himself when it came on, as he was directly under a monitor speaker when I cranked it up at 1:10 or so when the percussion kicked in, but then he curled back and went to sleep. But he's a lousy critic, unlike your cat.

I continued to rock it out. As for being a novice playing, on tape, no one can tell you're a dog. Or a cat. As long as you can rock it out on production, and can combine even simple things in layers they way you do and make more complicated textures, you can make beautiful, awesome things. Your songs will only improve as you get technically better. Thanks for sharing!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

paigan0 wrote:
I very much enjoyed "Until"! You had a wide range of good sounds blended together into a nice, tight groove. My own cat stopped licking himself when it came on, as he was directly under a monitor speaker when I cranked it up at 1:10 or so when the percussion kicked in, but then he curled back and went to sleep. But he's a lousy critic, unlike your cat.

I continued to rock it out. As for being a novice playing, on tape, no one can tell you're a dog. Or a cat. As long as you can rock it out on production, and can combine even simple things in layers they way you do and make more complicated textures, you can make beautiful, awesome things. Your songs will only improve as you get technically better. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome! thanks. i'm glad you enjoyed the groove.

i don't worry about how good i am, i just make music however i can. we are all where we are and we all continue to learn and improve when we work at it. there's no point that i'll say: "i'm as good as i ever want to be" so therefore it's satisfying enough just to be on the path itself. i try to stay true to myself and true to what i do. music is a snapshot in time. i like that it represents that moment of imperfection because that's what makes it what it is: life. the final product is a representation of me as i am right now with all the skills i have to use. there's no shame in that.

cats are so relaxing to have in the studio. i wouldn't say your cat is a bad critic when it hangs with you in the studio. after all, isn't the studio the best place to hang? your cat knows what's up. lol

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:09 am
Contributor
Contributor

Good Job, I enjoyed it. Very good production! Keep on, keepin' on!

Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:46 pm