It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:55 am

Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out
David, this is absolutely GORGEOUS! Merci et bravo!!

O.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Ditto, georgous :-)
Very fluidly played and totally dig the tone, perfect for this song :-)

Cheers,
Bas

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:41 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Tipton..!

Yeah, I almost heard like a stride piano thing going on around 1:15.

Can I ask you how having an ongoing Stick career now has informed some of your choices about the material you play..?

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!
I really appreciate your comments and love checking in and hearing what others are up to.
Stickrad asked .. Can I ask you how having an ongoing Stick career now has informed some of your choices about the material you play..?

I play mainly cover tunes and throw in a healthy dose of originals. I have a list of around 150 tunes that I perform regularly. I mainly play tunes I grew up with, tunes that are firmly rooted in the collective consciousness for people of a certain age group.
Neil Young, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc.. But I’m also a huge music fan and love old jazz standards, traditional tunes, even contemporary pop tunes. I try to incorporate a wide variety into my playing.

People frequently compliment me on my choice of tunes, it’s fun to hear them whistling, humming or singing along. Long ago all I played was original, experimental music, it was pretty out there. Now I find I rather enjoy connecting with an audience rather than alienating them. It’s always a wonderful thing when you play a tune and see peoples eyes light up, or couples hold hands because it’s “their song”.

I always ask people for requests (and boy do I get some interesting requests) and I try to learn them when I can. I recently learned a couple tunes for an old cowboy who I run into frequently when playing in town, he always tips nicely and says “thanks for coming to town!” to me. “Amarillo by Morning” by George Strait and the old cowboy tune “Streets of Laredo”. I’ve been surprised how well these tunes go over, I would have never thought of playing either.

Ultimately, I’m not going to play any tunes I personally dislike, but I do try to be open and play things out of my comfort range. Seems like every tune has some little twist in it that I can learn something from.

Since Gene has opened the door for a shameless plug (Thanks Gene!): My 2009 CD Residue 14 original compositions for Solo Stick is available from Stick Enterprises, CDBaby and iTunes.

Again thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:12 pm