It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:19 am

Can this be validated? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Can this be validated?
Could this be true? From a newspaper interview years ago

"I'm going to look into the 'stick,' the instrument Emmett Chapman invented, on which he uses that same note-tapping idea. Oscar Peterson has one; as a pianist, using both hands to produce notes and chords, he can use the same principle."
Joe Pass

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Can this be validated?
Yes, we sold him Stick #2093 in Nov. 1986. Later in July 1999 we reworked it for Deborah Stephenson. I was a long time admirer of Oscar's music and energetic piano style. He was one of my three all time favorite jazz pianists along with McCoy Tyner and Bill Evans.

I actually gave him two Stick lessons while he was living somewhere around West L.A. Much of that time was spent with comfort and posture from a sitting position because he had some kind of a hip problem at the time.

I had attended several of his trio gigs at Shelly's Manne Hole on Cahuenga Blvd. What a treat it was to be the teacher of someone who had inspired me so much, and just to meet the man. Too bad The Stick didn't stick with him.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big names in this post.Peterson ,Stick relationship never would of thought.my question,did Joe Pass ever pick one up?

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

What a great story Emmett! I had no idea!

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

This was around 1986...today with the Harpejji on the market maybe it would stick more to Oscar Peterson like it dit to Stevie Wonder...just because the basic concept of the instrument. It's well known that there is a better relation between pianists and Harpejji and another type of relation with bass or guitar player with a Stick. Nothing wrong with that. Probably if I had a Hapejji that would be more difficult for me because I'm not a pianist...I play a bit but mainly I'm a guitar and bass player.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I did a TV show with Joe Pass in the 80's. We talked about the Stick but he didn't mention a desire to purchase one. Perhaps that conversation prompted his curiosity. Same show I also jammed with jazz legend Tal Farlow. Alas, I played guitar.
Steve A

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
I did a TV show with Joe Pass in the 80's. We talked about the Stick but he didn't mention a desire to purchase one. Perhaps that conversation prompted his curiosity. Same show I also jammed with jazz legend Tal Farlow. Alas, I played guitar.
Steve A

Thanks Steve,was curious ,didn't think so.but had to ask.i figured you knew him being on the pro scene.had a relation tie to Joe Pass. Thanks again my brother.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Steve
Ever hear of Bruce Clarke? He was the most iconic Jazz Guitar educator in Australia , reason I mention it was that Joe Pass actually attended at least one workshop he had here.
Many years back I took lessons with Bruce Clarke , he used the Berklee Guitar Method books as a basis among other things , it was great but a bit scary , he was a stickler for technique , reading and everything. I remember the beautiful big old house he worked out of. I recall him telling me how Joe had visited and it those lessons that caused me to go out & discover the likes of Joe Pass, Charlie Christian and so on.
The link below is a nice summary of his life after he passed on.

https://www.australianmusician.com.au/remembering-bruce-clarke/

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sorry, I never heard of Bruce. There are many great guitarists especially jazzers, who don't get global recognition. I've been very fortunate to play with many legends and more than a few talented under the radar players. Studio guys and educators are part of the latter. It's been very gratifying to turn some big names onto the Stick. It was so cool to play with Les Paul, Pat Metheny, Pat Martino, Larry Coryell, Stanley Jordan, Charlie Hunter and George Benson. As innovators all, they were very receptive to the potential of The Stick. I gave both both Pat's a mini lesson. The Stick is changing sonic possibilities every day. It's impact will greatly increase in the coming years.
Steve A

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery