It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:14 am

cool techniques? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: cool techniques?
You're quite right. I've been thinking of building one since I first saw them but never really had the time.... I've tried playing tonight with the foot thing and i felt even more in control and relaxed due to the more vertical position ever. For me it seems the more the better. The dbro holder will give me that opportunity to keep doing new ones and adjusting the angle until it feels right! I think I'm gonna give it a go this weekend.
Kevin: I tried playing standing up but it just feels awkward and not natural.. Plus, I know from experience, if I have to stand, I just won't study as long everyday as when I'm sitting down... ;)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

bachdois wrote:
You're quite right. I've been thinking of building one since I first saw them but never really had the time.... I've tried playing tonight with the foot thing and i felt even more in control and relaxed due to the more vertical position ever. For me it seems the more the better. The dbro holder will give me that opportunity to keep doing new ones and adjusting the angle until it feels right! I think I'm gonna give it a go this weekend.
Kevin: I tried playing standing up but it just feels awkward and not natural.. Plus, I know from experience, if I have to stand, I just won't study as long everyday as when I'm sitting down... ;)

Sent by Tapatalk
Rodrigo, I got the TAGG interface from EarthGene and the FreeHands folk, and that's pretty nice for playing standing up, but I vastly prefer to play sitting. I am a huge, huge fan of the DBro holder and sing its praises whenever the chance arises. But are you familiar with the new Stick product, the UnderDog, that fits under your leg...I've not tried it and it may not work for you. But the Dbro holder--that times 12! "Cello" position for me all day!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Stephen, yep, I checked it out but it leaves the stick on a static position, so, for me, it's not that appealing: I like to move around, even if I'm just sitting on a chair. :) Dbro this weekend it is :) I have an important concert coming in two weeks at a baroque music festival and have to be definitely ready and used to it by then. :)
On the thread's topic: I'm using either thumbs to support the stick, depending on which hand has the hardest job (one of them supports the stick when the other hand has a more difficult task), changing their role along the song while at the same time trying to develop the instinct to naturally release the right hand thumb and bring it in front whenever it's not needed in the back. I'm not talking about your eventual use of the thumb on a specific part but as a rule, the exception being leaving it on the back of the neck. I know Bob Culbertson already played with this concept, probably Greg and Steve A. Worked on it also, and I'm not trying to be original or a smart ass, but I get the distinct feeling that there's something missing in my playing and this could help me incorporate whatever that is. Watching Boris Basurov you can understand what I'm talking about and see how valuable it can be - the only thing is that I don't have is his belly size: he uses it to angle and support the entire thing, thus, bringing both of his thumbs in front. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to come up with interesting tools to make music. A lifelong work in progress....

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:46 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynmenLO_l5Y[/youtube]

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:05 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Tryin' to grow my r.h. thumbnail...

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery