It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 cool techniques? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: cool techniques?
Both can be found on YouTube...they're guitarists though, not Stick players.

Cheers,
Kev

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Here was the discussion about slapping/popping from Free Hands Friday #50! The slapping/popping is demonstrated at around 8:45 or so, in talking about the Railboard. I re-watched this entire episode again and it's one of the very best FFH!

One of several great, great quotes from Keith:
"90% of all the songs I've written, I couldn't play when I wrote them." He just "heard them in his head" and then had to figure them out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0HXKYNkrDQ[/youtube]

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Okay, I am going to post something that is going to piss you guys off. I have some opinions, and I am going to share them. I look forward to the onslaught of hate mail.

Innovation on an instrument is like evolution. It's situational, and usually a direct response to adapting to a difficulty. "Forcing" innovation will result in the endless stream of fucktards pushing their "new" way of doing what is already there (bandwagon jumping). I mean, musically if your 'thing' revolves around a method, as opposed to a cool sounding song/riff then I think that the 'innovation' might be a failure. Success as a technical or academic exercise, but perhaps a failure as a piece of music.

I mean, "technique" is just a method. That's it. Like opening a beer bottle. Use an opener, your teeth, a counter, a lighter, your belly button... Really, it's the beer that we want, and if push comes to shove we can always just smash that thing ole. Problem solved.

Music doesn't need to be virtuosic to be enjoyed. It doesn't need complexity for validation.

The Stick, by nature invites technical complexity. And that's cool. I mean, ten fingers. Two hand independence. Stereo outputs, midi/hexaphonic output, modern effects and recording. In it's simplest state, this instrument is mind-boggling. I get the sense that before one's ideas or music could be considered worthy of listen, view or comment one should be pretty proficient. Kind of an idea of where in order to be considered even mediocre, you need to be pretty decent at the instrument. This is not the case with, say guitar. A few simple power chords and you are off to the races. No snobbery or elitism to get in the way of cranking out tunes.

So, I argue this; Innovation is already happening. It's before your very eyes, on this very forum. There are people posting music, that in my opinion, is criminally overlooked. There are people sharing ideas and asking questions that are going unanswered thereby forcing them to 'solve' their respective challenges themselves.

There are opportunities for evolution and exposure right here on this forum that most of the participants of the forum are blind to. Downright dismissive, actually. And THAT is sad, because the folks that are crazy enough to share their ideas (even if they are primitive, or downright terrible) are going to be the ones who dictate the evolution and direction of the instrument. Pay attention, guys... It's right in front of you. Right here. Ignore it, be disinterested, it doesn't matter because it is happening anyways. People do unexpected things...

A few months ago, I realized that all of the material written for this instrument was beyond me. Still is. How it's presented, beyond me. The material I was getting in my lessons, beyond me. The stuff my peers are playing, beyond me. The stuff my teacher is playing, beyond me. The stuff of my imagination, beyond me.

Now is that the fault of me, the student? No. It's just the situation is all. Adapt or die... I will solve it myself, and THAT friends, is what y'all are missing... How many others say, "fuck it, I will just figure this out myself." How many more say "fuck it, this is way too hard... If I really want to tap I can do it on a guitar".

How many guitar and piano method books are there out there? Violin? Drumset? Banjo!?! Recorder!!? Harmonica!?!

Want to innovate? Well, to those who are published, perhaps it's time for y'all to march on down to the music store, and buy the "Suzuki" method books for piano, and create a series of books geared towards the average 5 year old, levels 1-10 that are along those lines. Then perhaps create a series of corresponding repertoire books, and technique books. Or not. Lol

Sincerely,

Unin Ovative

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:21 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'll respond especially since I initiated this thread.
This was a question to get the readers here to get introspective, to perhaps think out of the box for creativiy. As a teacher, I'm often instigative because the student should be urged to think for themselves and find their own voice. A total musical and human way of creating. No one here suggested techniques for acrobatic purposes alone.

And to say a published author is putting out too much information is absurd.
I am a said published author. My Truefire DVDs and Mel Bay book are structured for every level. The reader merely has to pace themselves with patience and diligence. No need to dumb down the information. You blame the instructor/writer for how you feel about your playing?? This is very offensive. I've been educating musicians for over four decades and this is a first. You took lessons, soaked up the info, made good progress, and now complain that the education in print, live or on this forum is misguided?
Yes you will get get push back.
Your analysis is totally off base

Steve A

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

There is a type of music called an etude which is designed for practicing a technique. These pieces are often not turned into famous performances, but sometimes they are. Dust in the Wind is a modern etude for guitar.

Going back to the piano analogy, because Scott introduced it as evidence, the method books introduce technique after technique with an arranged etude from a popular piece of music. From piano primers we learn how to play different rhythms, how to play different scales, how to play multiple notes in each hand, and so forth. Technique on adult instruments are easy to refer to due to the cumulative experience on the instrument. The Stick is still a teenager. It has a pretty good idea of what it wants to be, but not the full understanding of how to get there. So for that reason, discussions in technique are vital.

So I have to say Scott, I am not pissed off, I am disappointed. Nobody goes through the Schmitt book for piano with the intention of performing scale after scale. People go through it because it is applied in other music. When I hear your guitar excellence in recordings, I know it comes from dedicated practice and planning in your overlaying of tracks. I know you have skills that have a basis in technique. I am hoping that you are just struggling with the difficulty of the Stick and are just in a bit of a funk with it rather than coming out against discussing different techniques. Sorry if I come on a little strong.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

As we say " Downunder " , Crikey! WTF, lets not overthink it, it was a simple question of where people were at with ideas, end of story. :o
Good morning from the Indian Ocean...

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

ummm I am not trying to attack anyone, and I am in NO way insinuating ANYTHING negative about Steve; he is my mentor. I apologize for anything negative may be implied by my post. Not my intent. Not at all.

I repeat, no ill will. I love you guys.

Bad communication skills on a bad internet forum leading to bad feelings, so yeah I apologize for any hurt feelings. Written the wrong way, I see that now, again I apologize.

What I am trying to say is this; Maybe if we look to what's going on right now the evolution is already happening. People are doing unexpected things. Y'know, guys like KevC, Bachdois, Brett Bottomley... they are posting stuff right now, right here on the forum... It gets ignored mostly...

What I am ALSO trying to say, is that while the resources that are out there are great, perhaps there is an opportunity to create something geared towards those of us who are perhaps not innovators? I mean, some of you folks are in a unique position to influence the direction of this instrument...

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:49 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

So yeah, not cool. What I wanted to communicate came across totally wrong...

Definitely not my intent to piss off every Stickist in the land, Sorry guys. No worries, won't happen again.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:47 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Stand-up comics have it worse. Tough crowd...
Not everyone will like all genres of music.
It's all about the music. Chill out, Dude. It's all good...
Jayesskerr wrote:
So yeah, not cool. What I wanted to communicate came across totally wrong...

Definitely not my intent to piss off every Stickist in the land, Sorry guys. No worries, won't happen again.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:40 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Give Chris Crain's 19 free 'Easy Stick lessons' a try.
http://www.thecrains.net/stick/
His Stick e-Lessons are pretty good too.
http://www.thecrains.net/stick/SELessons-sample.pdf

I also like Greg Howard's videos with the animations. Very cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1IJpL6zoXM
Jayesskerr wrote:
A few months ago, I realized that all of the material written for this instrument was beyond me. Still is. How it's presented, beyond me. The material I was getting in my lessons, beyond me.

Now is that the fault of me, the student? No. It's just the situation is all. Adapt or die... I will solve it myself, and THAT friends, is what y'all are missing... How many others say, "fuck it, I will just figure this out myself."

Want to innovate? Well, to those who are published, perhaps it's time for a series of books geared towards the average 5 year old, levels 1-10 that are along those lines. Then perhaps create a series of corresponding repertoire books, and technique books.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:05 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next