It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:39 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 cool techniques? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: cool techniques?
And Michael Hedges. And Charlie Hunter. And Edmar Castaneda
Ben is a major influence on my playing and explorations. We've played together on numerous occasions and recorded three duo tracks on the Stickology CD. What a blast.
Now to my point, what are we as players doing to advance some unique approaches to The Stick and ultimately the music we're presenting?

Steve A

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mike kemp wrote:
Ok. I decided to make a little time to show what I am talking about, though very roughly. I don't know if this makes anything clearer or not. Especially since I chose a different strum pattern than I used above as an example. Though I don't make it look so here, I still think it could be cool someday!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25o7hSVzmqk[/youtube]

Mike

Hey Mike.
Good illustration dooder.....I liken that to a flam that a drummer produces....a rolling of notes so to speak.
Rob Martino gets a lot of mileage out of that technique,particularly on the melody side chords he comes up with.

cheers,
kev

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
And Michael Hedges. And Charlie Hunter. And Edmar Castaneda
Ben is a major influence on my playing and explorations. We've played together on numerous occasions and recorded three duo tracks on the Stickology CD. What a blast.
Now to my point, what are we as players doing to advance some unique approaches to The Stick and ultimately the music we're presenting?

Steve A

unfortunately, I have no unique, or groundbreaking tidbits to offer......I tend to copy stuff parrot style. Maybe in 10 years I may have something to offer....

cheers,
k

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've been pushing the highest melody string off the fingerboard to emulate a quick glissando. It's a limited technique but it's a fun nutty sound that has its place.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

That's officially called a Skronk.
Page 56.

SA

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

not new, but new to me. tryin' to get the 'pop', two-handed bass (larry Graham-Thankyewfaletime...), more harmonics, and that l.h. thumb-shit that Boris Baruzov do (and the REACH!)

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Kevin Keith has developed a cool way of making his bass side sound like slap and pop. In this video he places his finger under the string then pulls his finger up, causing the string to slap back down to the board. I know some of you may have seen this......but some may not.
Watch closely, you'll see it....particularly around the 35 sec mark you can actually see the string lift up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox2yPHlLr1s[/youtube]

Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

piratebruce wrote:
We're waiting for "Eruption " on Your Grand Scott :D
Do we live in a universe cool enough to contain "Eruption" done on Stick? :shock: I've known personally and worked with probably 4, maybe 5 guitar players who could play Eruption, and I saw Yngwie play it live back in the early 90s and he did most of it one handed (!). I'd bet a couple hundred Canadian dollars (about $2.95 US) that Scott can already play it on his 6-string(s). :mrgreen:

As the "Ultimate Tapping Song!" that most people know, I'm actually surprised that no one has taken on "Eruption" here in Stickland. The tapping parts are "easy" enough to transfer across, but there's some serious tremolo picking that I don't know how you'd do on Stick. Man, I'd love to see that happen. Any chance of getting Eddie Van Halen to jam on a Stick?
kevin-c wrote:
Kevin Keith has developed a cool way of making his bass side sound like slap and pop. In this video he places his finger under the string then pulls his finger up, causing the string to slap back down to the board. I know some of you may have seen this......but some may not. Watch closely, you'll see it....particularly around the 35 sec mark you can actually see the string lift up.
There's a Free Hands Friday episode somewhere that I've seen where Kevin Keith demonstrates this popping technique. Great stuff--I tried to steal this the other night and haven't quite got it down yet.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

To do even differently expanded bass chords with one hand, I like to use my left hand thumb to get a bass note with a normal shaped chord over the top. The 5ths tuning lets this fit nicely in the hand. I wouldn't do this for an entire song, but it adds nice flavor.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:47 am
Contributor
Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
Hmmn, to me just learning how to play the Effin' thing is the most innovative thing I can muster now. Lol

Tuck Andress was a guy who blew my mind, then Steve introduced me to Ben Lacey...
As mentioned above, the percussive element makes the music played on Stick so cool...

sorry for the stick method hijack........Lacy is a cat I've been watching for quite some time. I really dig players/bands that do things differently....that how progress is made.,....not only in music, but in all aspects of life.

Bens influence on players is going to push them to blossom and expand their own envelopes.....Andy Mckee is another cat that is pushing boundaries as well..

cheers,
k

do you have a link to any of their work?

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:06 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next