It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

Leapin' Lizards Batman! Another Looper thread! 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Leapin' Lizards Batman! Another Looper thread!
Hey fellers, I feel this warrants it's own discussion. I'm on the lookout for a looper pedal to use as a practice tool, however there seems to be no limit to options.

My biggest question is:

Should I go with a mono or stereo looper? My first thought is stereo, the Stick has two mono sides, makes sense to go stereo right?

But then again, I'm not entirely sure I would ever need to do a loop with both sides at the same time through two effect chains. I don't have any true stereo chains on my board at the moment.

Is there a benefit I'm missing here?

Fri May 20, 2016 11:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Leapin' Lizards Batman! Another Looper thread!
Andy, I have 3 , no wait 4 looping options at my disposal. I hardly ever use any of them, to me the Stick itself is my looper. Gotta learn that first... But every now and then for fun, I try to make a "thing" and it's nice and quick and disposable... Lol all I can say...

Fri May 20, 2016 11:13 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm subscribing to the philosophy that I can find a bass line I like, loop that and find a melody I like to go with it. Keeping my focus on creating and listening to the intertwining of lines rather than focusing on keeping a line in rhythm.

Fri May 20, 2016 11:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AndyJPro wrote:
I'm subscribing to the philosophy that I can find a bass line I like, loop that and find a melody I like to go with it. Keeping my focus on creating and listening to the intertwining of lines rather than focusing on keeping a line in rhythm.

For this kind of practice I will notate the bassline and loop it in a MIDI player. I also use iReal Pro a lot which makes a bassline for me. I don't have any loopers so I guess this is my best option.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Fri May 20, 2016 1:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I do that now with a DAW (Pro Tools mostly; but Maschine will do that really well). In fact, Maschine can really work like a looper, but I never record with it--just use it to trigger drum tracks and samples. Which are loops.

For me, also looking for a looper and to blame for the first looper thread lately, I definitely need a stereo one, for keys if nothing else. But Your Mileage Will Vary. :)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thats the thing Andy , the looper options seem limitless. I'm about to get the Little TC Ditto looper this week as a starting point. I figure its a good simple way to try the whole thing out without a big $$ tag. I'm also interested in this for guitar as well again. Like Steve says I could do the same thing in ProTools or any DAW but in the end I want to use this live.
I'll report back on it later.
Like Scott though I spend a fair bit of time just working on getting the left hand to loop on a groove and then solo with the right hand. At the Stick Camp I watched Bruno Ricard form France doing just this warming up by the pool, its was something to behold , managed to capture a little on the iPhone.

Fri May 20, 2016 5:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Another thing I'm considering is the TC electronics Flashback Delay, since it has a basic looper function as well.

I could go the DAW route but I'm having fun with pedals and I like playing with amps more than studio monitors. Just my current predilection.

My notation skills are pretty weak and I really like syncopation. Not sure I have the patience to develop that ability at the moment.

Fri May 20, 2016 11:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Andy, I admit that I am a loop fanatic and oddly like Scott I have a drawer full of old looping devices that I don't use that much...But- there is a looper that I think is really amazing and that is
the Boss RC 505 :geek:. it slices,dices,reverses and has five tracks :idea:. Each track
can be independent or synched. Also each track can be set to different bar lengths so
short tracks or long tracks or in between. And you can save 99 5 track songs. The down
side for guitarists or Stickists is that it is a desk-top tool made for beatboxers :evil:
Not really a problem though, you can get used to that and come to prefer the ease of use
via the fingers instead of toes ;)...

Good luck.

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sat May 21, 2016 7:49 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

JRJ wrote:
Hi Andy, I admit that I am a loop fanatic and oddly like Scott I have a drawer full of old looping devices that I don't use that much...But- there is a looper that I think is really amazing and that is
the Boss RC 505 :geek:. it slices,dices,reverses and has five tracks :idea:. Each track
can be independent or synched. Also each track can be set to different bar lengths so
short tracks or long tracks or in between. And you can save 99 5 track songs. The down
side for guitarists or Stickists is that it is a desk-top tool made for beatboxers :evil:
Not really a problem though, you can get used to that and come to prefer the ease of use
via the fingers instead of toes ;)...

Good luck.

jRj
*j*
.~

Dude, I was JUST going to post; haha I have one of those too. Man, I have a lot of junk haha

You know, having a looper has saved my butt many, many times on stage. Drummer breaks a head and decides to change it, the show goes on...

Sat May 21, 2016 8:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JRJ wrote:
But- there is a looper that I think is really amazing and that is the Boss RC 505. it slices,dices,reverses and has five tracks . Each track can be independent or synched. Also each track can be set to different bar lengths so short tracks or long tracks or in between. And you can save 99 5 track songs. The down side for guitarists or Stickists is that it is a desk-top tool made for beatboxers. Not really a problem though, you can get used to that and come to prefer the ease of use via the fingers instead of toes ...
That sounds like what I want (he says, for the 12th time!) Okay 3 awesome looper threads, a lot of gear recs, and even better videos, and I have no idea what to get. I think I'll just plunge in and get something.

BOTTOM LINE GENTLEMEN/LADIES:

I have $300-500 in my pocket. I want stereo loops. What do you recommend?

And I'll go as high as $700--but only if you throw in a full effects package and a foot pedal for expression. And MIDI. Can a $700 device handle effects, controllers, and looping?

(And if there's a good $1000 price point that is really worth it, let me know, and I'll break out that Sweetwater 2 years no interest credit card that should really be reserved for the LinnStrument I want to get, but I'd like a looper even more!)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat May 21, 2016 8:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery