It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

"Stick Piano" model...? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: "Stick Piano" model...?
greg wrote:
Just to clarify, are these notes at the x-fret or "open strings" as you wrote.
I really hope you will put some of your work online for others to check out. You are so passionate about this idea, it seems a shame not to see it in action.

I've ordered the first Mikrokosmos book to have on hand as well as some other useful references (the Well-tempered Clavier, and another book called "First Lessons in Bach"). I don't know how much time I'll b able to spend on this, but I'm going to see how hard it is to bring it to 5ths with a high bass 4th as an alternative to the mirrored 4ths... wish me luck!

Greg,

Good luck! I am sure you will make these pieces work. First Lessons in Bach is an excellent collection.

Performing is not my passion, but rather composing music for guitars without following the usual models. Part of this involves studying music with the Stick substituting for the piano as a study aid.

Playing classical stuff at events and farmers' markets is a fun sideline, but I won't be putting it on YouTube anytime soon. This sort of material requires a very high degree of polish to be seen as more than a novelty. I may eventually perfect these pieces and play them on the concert stage, but then again that's not my main focus--this stuff is homework. It is very well-received, though.

I hope that SE will see that the-Stick-as-piano-substitute is a proven concept, and consider marketing the SG as such. There are doubtless those who would like to study the traditions of composition and arrangement in a non-traditional way; check out the young composers' forums. There you will see high school kids who've composed pieces for orchestra. What could they do with a Stick...? We won't know unless it is recommended to them in a model proven to be compatible with the grand staff.

(Yes, those are open strings.)

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks for the interesting thoughts, I had not checked this thread in a while. I'm still trying to envision Bsharp's first post, Cool!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:45 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I also agree that being able to read music is very valuable.

The Stick can be learned just like others instruments have been taught.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Monk, you might find this thought interesting. :D

Before I ever owned a Stick, but heard that it was tuned in 5ths & 4ths I presumed the melody side would be in 5ths (notes closer together like a violin) and the bass side would be in 4ths (notes further apart like a bass). :lol:

Has anyone ever tried this, maybe on a 10 string.

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

lets not forget that the stick is still a very NEW instrument. seems to me that perhaps the new technology will not be the instrument or tuning but rather in a new method or way to read the music. Whats great about that is To the victor go the spoils; neccesity being the mother of invention ,which is one of the things that make this country soo great!

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:39 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

i thought Frank Zappa was the Mother of Invention. and he was intrigued at how the tiny little black dots looked on paper and then what they sounded like when he could get someone to play them for him. on the grand staff. ever try reading St. Alphonsos Pancake Breakfast on bass? it was in Bass Player once. talk about lowest and highest note, Greg...anyway, great post. i've been trying to learn Peanuts Songbook (piano), Real Book (bass clef, figure out yer own chord voicings) and as always, "from the record". i grew up reading, but im still quicker w my ear. as far as "standard musical notation" and academiacs, im with BSharp (BSharp? Wowee Zowee!)

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

An interesting thread to say the least. A lot of intriguing viewpoints presented here...

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:32 pm