It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

10 string or 12 string? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: 10 string or 12 string?
i like the twelve string. the lower melody string and higher bass side string give me lot more sonic ammo. i really like doing snaky linear lines and twangy pull offs on that lower melody string and the high bass string give you a bit more flexibility on 13 chords and such. i can keep my left hand up higher more of the time on the 12 string, which i like. finally you have a bit more range to do the wes montgomery octave thing.

i also like the spacing on the 12 string as i have personally have no problem getting my fingers in there and it allows for easier double stopping than a 10 string grand . you can practically play melody lines double stopping which can give you a hint of 12 string guitar feel when you mix it in with the aforementioned octave lines.

Last edited by mike.hoegeman on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:50 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BobbyE wrote:
I'm a pro guitarist, and have been intrigued by the Stick for awhile, since Steve Adelson demonstrated one to me at a guitar show.
I'm going to get a Chapman Stick, so, should I get a 10 string or a 12 string?
Thanks!
Bob
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this question.
You'll get a lot of people who tell you that 12 strings is necessarily better, but there are also reasons to go with 10.

I play both regularly, so perhaps can give you a more balanced view than someone who only plays one or the other.

1. Visual simplicity. The Stick is about patterns of notes, and about geometry. To me it's much easier to see and feel these shapes on a group of five strings than it is on a group of 6 strings.

2. Narrower board, feels sleeker in your hands (weights less, too).

3. Greater string spacing. This is definitely a consideration if you have thicker fingers.

4. The basic technique is the same, whether you play 10 or 12, but playing 10 strings encourages you to develop hand movement skills rather than always playing "positionally". My personal belief is that hand movement is really helpful in sound, independence, and fretboard navigation, so whatever you can do to get it happening right away will benefit you in the long run.

5. Overall range is the same, if you go with the Classic tuning

6. they cost less...

Even though the Grand Stick has been around since the early 1990s, the players you know about started on 10 strings. It did nothing to inhibit their development as players, and may have helped it.

There are several excellent players who still only play 10-string, including Emmett and Cides.

Things I personally like about the Grand Stick:

1. the high bass 4th, excellent for more complex chord voicings using only the bass strings.

2. more possibilities in arrangements, the extra string gives you more timbral flexibility.

3. as a teacher, it's nice to have one instrument that encompasses the different tunings my students use.

I hope that helps. You can always get a Grand Stick once you learn the technique on a 10...

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this question.
You'll get a lot of people who tell you that 12 strings is necessarily better, but there are also reasons to go with 10.

I play both regularly, so perhaps can give you a more balanced view than someone who only plays one or the other.

Neither is "better". I have one of each (haha). BUT...if I knew then, what I know NOW...and I could only choose ONE...and I had tried all the options...I would have gone with a ten-string Grand. And that's only for more room between strings on the bass side. (i am bass-centric). If you can, try 10&12 before you buy. I don't know if Steve A. HAS a ten, but where you live, give a shout-out there's gotta be someone in driving distance. But like I said, you coming from a guitarist background you will be FLOORED by the arranging and position posibilities of the 12 (and those Wes/Jimi octaves!)

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
Neither is "better". I have one of each (haha). BUT...if I knew then, what I know NOW...and I could only choose ONE...and I had tried all the options...I would have gone with a ten-string Grand. And that's only for more room between strings on the bass side. (i am bass-centric). If you can, try 10&12 before you buy. I don't know if Steve A. HAS a ten, but where you live, give a shout-out there's gotta be someone in driving distance. But like I said, you coming from a guitarist background you will be FLOORED by the arranging and position posibilities of the 12 (and those Wes/Jimi octaves!)

Did someone say octaves?

Check out the solo at 1:40, recorded on a 10-string, Baritone Melody tuning...

"Carnival" from Sol

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
AnDroiD wrote:

Did someone say octaves?

Check out the solo at 1:40, recorded on a 10-string, Baritone Melody tuning...

"Carnival" from Sol

Yeah it’s not like a 10 string is going to leave you totally bereft or something [emoji75]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:32 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

OKOK boy was I off base the first thing I did on my Ironwood was octaves on BOTH SIDES in '85.(right about the time our guitarist threatened to cut the melody strings off) GET A STICK IT IS THE COOLEST INSTRUMENT IN THE WORLD AND WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER NO MATTER HOW MANY STRINGS. I have said it before in these pages. The Stick saved my life.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I’d take into account 4th’s or 5th’s tuning on the base side also if you think you may dabble....

My first stick (in production) will be a 12.

GL

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:08 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I started on a 10, and then added a 12. You may find, as I have, that keeping track of patterns on 5 strings is already complex enough to begin your journey. If you jive with this thing, you may also discover that you want another stick ( or 3.) Perfect time to add a 12 string to your armory.

Most important idea is to get one, and start playing.
Harry

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:57 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

AnDroiD wrote:
...GET A STICK IT IS THE COOLEST INSTRUMENT IN THE WORLD AND WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER NO MATTER HOW MANY STRINGS...

...yes, it is...

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

[quote?"popstuart"]...Most important idea is to get one, and start playing....[/quote]

...of course and indeed...

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:32 am