It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

Interlochen 2017 Post-Game Report 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Interlochen 2017 Post-Game Report
Arrived home last night from the 2017 Interlochen Stick Workshop. I've never been to Interlochen (done Vancouver twice).

Short summary: well worth it. Great time. Here are a few of my thoughts and impressions:

• Interlochen is a neat place. Tucked away from any cities, good support from a smiling and enthusiastic staff, beautiful campus, and self contained. 2000+ high school aged campers on location, all wearing similar uniform shirts. Music being played everywhere. There were times I almost skipped going to lunch because I wanted to hang out and listen to the stage band music coming from a nearby building.
  • During the 'Stick-tech' session, I asked Greg to evaluate my pedalboard and tone. He took it in a direction I wasn't expecting but needed to hear, showing me how my pickup and mixer settings could be negatively impacting my signal chain.
  • Got to see Bob and Greg perform, both formally and informally. 'Nuff said.
  • Bob and Greg's class sessions throughout were, without exception, well thought out and presented. Good balance between planned content and taking off on the occasional bunny-trail topics that came up. "What will be useful to the people in the room?" was always in play.
  • Thursday evening's open-mic night at a local bar & grill was a nice opportunity for my first experience playing solo outside a pure Stick crowd or family, even if I only played one tune ("Everybody Wants To Rule the World"). Nerves!
  • Saturday's Master Class session: play something you're working on and get feedback. Not only was it good to get Bob's and Greg's thoughts on arrangement and playing approach to the song I played ("My Jesus I Love Thee"), it was also valuable to hear their thoughts on what others played. Unexpected highlight.
  • Everybody came away having learned things and enjoyed the workshop, from the younger guy who came without an instrument to check it out, to the accomplished folks there who many of us have bought CDs from.
  • Hanging out in the same physical space with Stick players is just a wonderful thing that doesn't happen for me outside of these seminars. That alone makes it worthwhile.

If you haven't been to a Stick seminar, seriously consider taking the time and spending the money to get to one. It's one of those "you can't know what you're missing unless you do it" things. Skype lessons, online hangouts, FB groups, and Stickist discussions are all varying degrees of great...I participate in each, and feel blessed by what the internet has made possible for learning this instrument. But there's nothing like being in a room with a bunch of Stick players, especially when there's a master (or two or three...) in the mix.

Thank you, Glenn, for the work both in years past and the present that have resulted in such an outstanding event!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Interlochen 2017 Post-Game Report
I was working on my own Rocking Interlochen post, but Victor beat me to it.

Great experience and wonderful people! Will definitely be doing this again.

Seeing Bob and Greg and Glenn all perform together and separately was worth the price of admission alone!
Bob and Greg playing together, and Bob is rocking the Didgeridoo and the Shruti Box along with his Stick.Image

And the location at Interlochen Arts Center was the best that I could have hoped for.

I've got lots that I learned that I will be working on for a long time to come.

Will definitely do again!

Steve Sink
Paigano

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

VIctor...it was cool to meet you (and everyone else)

"If you haven't been to a Stick seminar, seriously consider taking the time and spending the money to get to one"

I agree This was my first one and Im hooked. I learned so much that I now need to work on. The Stick community is amazing and coming to this event was money very well spent.

Rob

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:32 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Got home after a 15-hour drive Monk-Time ("Round Midnight"). Such a great event. Many thanks to Glenn for putting it all together again do deftly, and to the support crew at Interlochen, for attending to our every need.

For the first time, I offered classes in approaches to playing written music, as well as how to play more musical solos, and they seemed to go okay (looking forward more feedback from those who participated to improve future offerings).

My favorite things about these events is the flow of ideas in all directions, and getting to see promising new players emerging. Also, getting to meet players in person that I've only met via Skype or as a forum poster.

And it's always great to catch up with old friends and drink some excellent micro-brews. This was one I had to try (and it is excellent!)

Attachment:
buffalo_sweat.jpg

Bob and I jammed at both performances, and these were musical highlights for me as well. And it's pretty cool to hear 10 Stick players all throwing down the bass line for "Come Together." One fan couple drove all the way from Peoria to hear me play, so hats off to them. I'm glad they also got to hear Bob and Glenn and Jim Meyer...

Thanks to all who committed their money and time to come. Now back to a bin-full of projects...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

A wonderful immersive experience!
Thanks to Glen, Greg, and Bob for making this workshop happen. If I hadn't had this exciting and unique opportunity to participate in this event, I might not have remained a stick player. It is so versatile and there are a number of design and size differences.
My first thought upon playing a stick more appropriately sized for my fingers was "I CAN LEARN TO PLAY THIS THING WELL!
Though I've owned a 12 string grand stick for three years, this was the first time I realized I can learn this instrument and become a good player with practice.
Thanks to you all. You're supportive attitudes, your willingness to share what you know, and allowing me to play many sticks has been an experience I will never forget.
To anyone who didn't attend, or never attended a workshop: Reading, listening, watching performances on YouTube, reading these posts, etc., Nothing compares to the experience of actually spending the best part of a week with like-minded stick players. I learned a lot. I hope I retain most of it!
Although I was somewhat compromised by a hand injury and an amplifier that sounded like the 10 transistor radio I had as a kid, I took so much away from these terrific teachers and peers, I will do my best not to miss another workshop!

Thanks again and Cheers to all :D

a side note: if anyone can recommend a good chiropractor, or other medical practitioner who would be sensitive to the problems faced by musicians with injuries which inhibit the proper use of a musical instrument, please message me in any way you wish. Thx :roll:

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Back in southeast Michigan and back at work after being away since the 29th of June. It's a little surreal being back in "civilization" and back in the real world (and just a little bit depressing ;) ). I dropped Bob at the car rental this morning and he is moving on to Oz's house in Ann Arbor in preparation for the Art Fair.

Over the next couple of weeks, I'll pour over photos and notes putting together my usual long winded post-workshop report. In the mean time though, let me just say what a pleasure and privilege it was to hang with all of you. Now that I've had a couple of solid nights sleep, I'd turn around and do it all again in a heartbeat. Of course I have to put out a huge thanks to all the folks who where indispensable in making this a killer event. Greg, Bob, Oz. Leslie, Betsy, Morgan, and Crystal at Interlochen. Sandy at the Karlin Inn. Todd at the Filling Station. Matt Wiliford who doesn't even work at Interlochen any more and is still looking out for us. Most of all, the players who signed up and attended.

What a blast!

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I just arrived in Ann Arbor for the Art show this week. What a great time with this group. Some highlights for me were hearing players perform and their ideas about playing (it is never ending!). Also jamming with Greg especially on Across The Universe the last song we played at the seminar weekend. The energy in the large group performances was ......simply marvelous. And of course just hanging out, and the conversations with comedic improv included!

Cheers,

Bob

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:37 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Congratulations Glenn. It feels like the Interlochen event has solid footing on the campus there and is only going to expand. My first and only outing there 2 years ago was made possible by you and Greg and I am forever grateful to you both for it.

Along with Vancouver, these events are quickly becoming a part of the Stick culture. it is a major undertaking on the part of everyone. Flights need to booked, rental cars, lugging gear and planning. Lots of planning. If you made it out there, you win - so good job to you all.

But Glenn, oh, that Glenn Poorman is a serious Stick soldier. We salute you Glenn for taking the time to do it right.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery