It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Urgent question: about the PASV-4 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Urgent question: about the PASV-4
What does the little blue Philips style adjusting screw on the melody side of the PASV-4 block pick up do? I am trying to get a balanced signal while switching back and forth between stereo an mono settings with the switch on top of the pick up. When I switch to mono(or everything through the melody side of the Stick cable) the signal seems to get softer, or quieter. When I switch back to "stereo mode" both signals get stronger. Is there any way of preventing this?

Thanks.

Mike

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Urgent question: about the PASV-4
Hi Mike.
Its the trim pot for balancing the melody and bass when they're both summed to a mono signal. For instance you might want the bass backed off a little so the melody is comfortably louder than the bass when its coming out of a single amp.
I'm not too sure why the whole signal is quieter when you use the mono option, but I know from chatting to EC that he summed the mono signal to the ring of the stereo jack, meaning its backwards to what you'd expect! The summed mono on an ACTV2 goes to the tip of the jack. EC tells me this is because for some reason the signal on the PASV4 is hotter (louder) when its wired that way. I use a Vox headphone/amp system( I forget what they're are called!) so I had to have my PASV 4 rewired the other way, so the mono signal comes to the tip. I didnt even notice the drop in volume EC mentioned so I guess I'm lucky, but maybe your problem has something to do with this?? Cheers Mike i hope that info helps.
Steve in the UK

Red Grand Railboard 7164 "Iron Man" June 21 2018

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:44 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Whoops...I meant to say the Sleeve of the jack not the ring.......but I think you get the picture!

Red Grand Railboard 7164 "Iron Man" June 21 2018

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

When you sum together all those passive pickups it changes the output impedance and lowers the overall volume. That can be accounted for and avoided with active pickups.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:38 am