It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Which Bach Invention should I learn? 

8 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
9 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
13 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
14 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Which Bach Invention should I learn?
Jayesskerr wrote:
Lol Jeffery Scott Kerr = JS Kerr = Jayesskerr

I just now got that J S Kerr was "Jay Ess Kerr" to make "Jayesskerr." I've been mispronouncing it in my head for as long as I've been here, which is 2 years in August. I've been thinking "Jays-kerr" (2 syllables), when it's actually 3 syllables. Funny. I think that stuff is interesting as a Word Nerd. And considering we've done 5 or so little musical things together, you'd think I'd know how to pronounce your name!

Paigan ryhmes with "Reagan," by the way. But I pronounce the "zero" at the end, and it's "Pay-gun Zero" as in "Patient Zero." Silly usernames! I've learned a lot of other people's little tricky user names: (earthgene = NASA Gene, piratebruce is Bruce the Shipping God, dubyacee is Walter C., Lee Vatip is Steve Adelson, BSHARP is Emmett Chapman, etc.) I'm crappy at remembering who is actually Larry and not Bob (there's really only one Bob).... I am hijacking this fine Bach thread and I do apologize.

I enjoyed Scott's video immensely, and reading about Claire's progression. The note vocalization is an excellent way to get the notes, by the way. I'm going back over that whole video again, Scott!

I found myself, like Claire, able to play Bach on the piano, but then struggle to translate that over immediately to Stick. I haven't made that little mental "switch flip" yet, but I have barely begun to work on it. Now that I have a Stick in mirrored fourths, I plan to start some easy-peazy Bach, same as I started on piano. You two are swimming way over my head, but that's awesome--I can see where I'll be if I put in the time that the two of you are putting in.

Sight reading (IMHO) is really no different from any other kind of reading. I studied Japanese hiragana and katakana writing syllabalaries (Japanese uses syllables rather than an alphabet as the basic structure of their language). Those two writing "alphabets" are then mixed with kanji taken from old Chinese symbols, and then those three writing systems as mixed with the Roman alphabet. One poster in a Japanese train system will have katakana (for foreign words), hiragana (for word endings and parts of speech signifiers), kanji for the basic pictogram idea, and then some random English or French (Better living you!), or just the English alphabet used to spell out Japanese words because it looks cool. It's the most complicated writing system known to man.

Yet, my Japanese 7th grade students couldn't glance at the sign without instantly reading it. You, of course, instantly read the Romanized English:

Here's the bottom line, from a long segue about linguistics and Japan:

Reading music is just like reading anything: time spent doing it produces fluency.

You are unable to not read this line in English:

STOP AND DROP

In time, you are unable to not read this line:

Or this line:

And soon, Rachmaninoff! :ugeek: (Or beginner, easy Bach, in my case!)

Please continue to share your Bach progress, Claire and Scott and excellent thread!

(And where's Rodrigo [bachdois!] with the Bach? And madmonk! And others! Greg!)

Bach Lover, but Baby Reader
Paigan Zero (Steve #6)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Last edited by paigan0 on Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 14, 2017 4:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

paigan0 wrote:

(And where's Rodrigo [bachdois!] with the Bach?

last time I heard that guy went crazy and burned out trying to figure out a way to play "the art of Fugue" on the stick! Still working on the first ricercare.
I will go and get a grand in two days... maybe that one will help me in this endeavor! ;)
Congrats Claire and Scott: you guys rock!
Rod

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun May 14, 2017 5:45 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Fun stuff. Bach rules!

Sun May 14, 2017 8:06 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

bachdois wrote:
...Still working on the first ricercare....

...very interesting, indeed...
...what ricercare you're on?...

Tue May 16, 2017 1:23 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Ricercare a 3. But it's from the "Musical Offering" not the Art of fugue. Witch is cool nevertheless: apart from being the two most amazing works of Bach, they are so very much alike... starting from the main theme one goes up a minor arpeggio ending on a major 7th, the other goes down a minor arpeggio, ending on a major 7th... damn, that is so cool!

All Links:

Tue May 16, 2017 3:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Totally amazing pieces of music. I'm a bit "Invention" and Sinfonia" obsessed right now, but the Ricercare sounds awesome. Added to the list!

Wed May 17, 2017 10:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Totally amazing pieces of music. I'm a bit "Invention" and Sinfonia" obsessed right now, but the Ricercare sounds awesome. Added to the list!
the list never stops growing right? Maybe that would be a good post: "what's on your list?" ;)

All Links:

Thu May 18, 2017 12:40 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ricearoni? I make it at home. Time to work on original material this digging up the old stuff bores me I PERSONALLY DO NOT HAVE THE TIME and I'm not try'ing to be an ass but I only got so much time left on this planet so I want to to play the stuff that I want to play...shit i'm wasting time typing this and......

Fri May 19, 2017 5:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

AnDroiD wrote:
Ricearoni? I make it at home. Time to work on original material this digging up the old stuff bores me I PERSONALLY DO NOT HAVE THE TIME and I'm not try'ing to be an ass but I only got so much time left on this planet so I want to to play the stuff that I want to play...shit i'm wasting time typing this and......

I want it all... Learning Bach makes it easier to learn other stuff.
Wait. I am not really into Riceroni, so I'll pass on that... But yeah, Bach, Vai, Morse my own stuff etc etc

Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

What is Ricearoni?

All Links:

Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next