It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

My solo stick debut train wreck 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: My solo stick debut train wreck
I just got to ride this train about 2 weeks ago when I tried to play "Love Story" for my mother-in law (A horrible song for tappers, so many repeating notes!) on the new instrument. It was the first time I got to perform in front of a small crowd from about a 6 year hiatus!

As I got ready, I didn't notice that I wasn't sitting the way I did during practice and the chair was too high. I didn't notice my monitors weren't on, so it wouldn't sound the same as it did earlier that day. One of the grandkids threw-up about 10 feet from me due to stuffing too much pizza in their mouth. So what did I do? Rather than pause and reflect I did the worst thing I could have done, I introduced my song and started to play. Got thru the intro and the 1st verse then like a split personality I heard the Train Whistle "ALL ABOARD"! Dammit! (LOL) The Train leaped off the track and I tried to recover 2 times and by that time I had so much egg on my face that I had to apologize and play something else that went a little better but wow not too good especially after all those hours rehearsing and recording videos. There's no comparison to a live audience!!!

The best thing is that there's only one "First time" right? I reflect back when I was playing my Juries at Arizona State U, How did I ever get thru those?

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I feel your pain. I had my second kick at the can this past Tueday night playing True Colors at an adult recital. It Went better than the first time for sure. Still nervous and blanked out again on a small section. Also was showing my pedal boardto someone before the show and didnt put the settings back so when I started playing things sounded a bit different and all I could think was that it sounded weird. I got thru it much better. I was annoyed that the crowd was chatting all through not really listening which was good and bad. Good that they missed my missed notes but bad they missed all the other notes I got right. Im trying to get my nerve up to play in front of the fellow sticks at Interlochen this summer. Looking forward to playing in front of everyone but terrified as well. Hopefully the greats (Greg and Bob , and others can impart some wisdom) you other stickists out there.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:05 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
I feel your pain. I had my second kick at the can this past Tueday night playing True Colors at an adult recital. It Went better than the first time for sure. Still nervous and blanked out again on a small section. Also was showing my pedal boardto someone before the show and didnt put the settings back so when I started playing things sounded a bit different and all I could think was that it sounded weird. I got thru it much better. I was annoyed that the crowd was chatting all through not really listening which was good and bad. Good that they missed my missed notes but bad they missed all the other notes I got right. Im trying to get my nerve up to play in front of the fellow sticks at Interlochen this summer. Looking forward to playing in front of everyone but terrified as well. Hopefully the greats (Greg and Bob , and others can impart some wisdom) you other stickists out there.

The great thing about Stick Seminars is you'll probably be playing along with the teachers and other students at times, that was a great tool!

Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Believe it or not nerves are not just for beginners. Barbra Streisand, Carly Simon and now Adele all had their careers shortened by these feelings. I get them. It's rough.
Try reading two books:
The Inner Game of Music
Effortless Mastery
Both excellent in dealing with this situation.
I recently reread The Inner Game to help me through an important gig.
Highly recommended

Steve A

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Believe it or not nerves are not just for beginners. Barbra Streisand, Carly Simon and now Adele all had their careers shortened by these feelings. I get them. It's rough.
Try reading two books:
The Inner Game of Music
Effortless Mastery
Both excellent in dealing with this situation.
I recently reread The Inner Game to help me through an important gig.
Highly recommended

Steve A

Thanks Steve the reality check is always helpful!

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Listen to "America Drinks and Goes Home" on the album "Absolutely Free" by The Mothers of Invention for what we go thru in most club situations...

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

You're on the right track though.

You tried it...started small...working toward more. Was it stellar? Maybe not as you'd hoped...but all in all...a great experience.

Next time...try something a little harder...keep pushing forward. It's easy to run and hide in the basement...but what value is that?

I have been at this for about 16 months now. I've played this with other guitarists...and it went ok. I've played it at a few events...went ok...played a local restaurant as dinner music...went ok.

Now...in June....I'm with a bluegrass group for a set and then a few solo tunes at the local theater here. Might go great...might suck ass...but damn it...I'm gonna do it.

We're doing something that less than 1000 people in the world can do...take this instrument and play out in public. 7 billion or so people can't do this...so look at it that way. You're more special than you give yourself credit for.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:38 pm