It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

New Pedals for my Railboard ("Sartori in Tangier" sound) 

Post New Pedals for my Railboard ("Sartori in Tangier" sound)
I just picked up two new mini pedals to complete my effects path on my Railboard. I had been using a Neunaber Stero Wet Reverb, which is the best reverb pedal (in my opinion), but I recently went in on a deal that Digitech had where if you bought their Obscura Altered Delay pedal, you could get the Ventura Vibe pedal for $5.
I didn't even realize that the Obscura had stero inputs, so I started using that with my Railboard and moved the Wet reverb over to my guitar board. So after reading some posts on here, I picked up an Xotic SP compressor mini-pedal and an MXR Phase 95 mini-pedal, and BOOM!!! There's the Tony Levin sound I've been looking for.
I have to admit, I was skeptical about the phase pedal, because I [i]hate[i] using them with my guitar, but I actually love it on the Railboard. I've used a bunch of compressor pedals, and I'd have to say, that for the money and size, the Xotic SP is the best. (I use a Wampler Ego compressor for my guitar).
The rest of my signal path is just straight into a Roland JC-40, then the bass side out to an Ibanez Promethan 10" bass amp. Both of these amps are solid state, which works great for my Railboard. (I use tube amps for my guitars).

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:31 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: New Pedals for my Railboard ("Sartori in Tangier" sound)
That is a tight right. Huge fan of the Xotic SP compressor. I liked that middle setting on the toggle as it was the least hissy. It has a taller frame to accommodate a 9v battery which bugged me a little, but still THE best mini compressor pedal imho.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Cool, nice Tonebone I see you have there... Radial Engineering rocks! Cool pics!

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Have you tried the Rail board through the Whampler Ego comp? Love to hear your thoughts on that and a little more about how and why you use compression on the Stick.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I haven't tried the Railboard through the Ego compressor, but that's probably a good idea. My take with effects is kinda like tasting wine: I know for sure that I don't have a sharp pallet, but I know what I like!
For example, I tried a number of distortion pedals and amps, before I really decided that I don't like distortion pedals, and I prefer my lead tone using my tube amps (Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25 & PRS Archon). Same thing with compressor, it always sounds better to me with compression.
On the Railboard, I've been really cranking the compression, and I like the way it sounds. It feels like the sound is tighter and I barely have to hit the strings to really make it "Thunk".
I just realized that technically, I do use a distortion pedal, but it's a true tube distortion (Radial Tonebone) and it's going through a solid state amp (JC-40), which sounds pretty great.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:40 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cool setup! The Roland JC-40 seems like it would be a great blank slate for adding all sorts of lush effects for the melody side.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:50 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I tried the JC-40 in a shop a few months ago, with the intend to buy it. It sounds amazing with the Stick and my pedals set-up, but I was a little worried with a constant hiss, even if the volume is very low. So I didn't buy it, but it's still in my mind, I loved the sound.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I lucked on the early Tony sound quickly. Analogman Compressor and MXR Phase 95.

If you really want to nail it, Tony is selling his MXR Phase90. For about 10 Large or something LOL

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:07 pm