It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 melody (or bass) in 3ds? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: melody (or bass) in 3ds?
Nobody dismissed shit. Except someone thought that their answer was the only true and right one, and someone else with decades of experience at stringed instruments, a music degree, and experience with multiple tunings politely tried to keep an open mind and also answer the question. Which was addressed to "anyone."

Meanwhile, other people with decades of experience reminded/educated the first guy of more than one successful, expressive Stick player using thirds, and apparently making a living at it. And then provided video evidence thereof.

I make a living at reading comprehension, so my decades of experience (and multiple degrees) helped translate this little diversion from rocking it out.

Let's get back to rocking. And Happy Birthday, Steve Adelson!

:ugeek:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Last edited by paigan0 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Just trying to be nice to the original poster, not dismissing anything or anybody so I am not sure what your problem is. Your reply was pretty cut and dried what with "Don't do it"

Is it okay to try stuff out on this instrument? Or do we have to ask permission any time we want
to do something different? Is it okay to offer a different opinion? Yes or no? It's not okay to talk about the possibilities of the instrument? You aren't the only one with a music education and playing experience, fella... I will chock that post up to "Steve A. Is having a bad day" and try not too hurt your feelings or deprecate your credentials any further... I make an excellent punching bag, so swing away!

And here I was of the opinion that Stick dudes were open-minded creative thinkers...

Still your friend, even if you're not mine.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Having a bad day? Exactly the opposite since it was a uniquely special day.
The post asked for a response from anyone with experience on playing and tuning. I started guitar in '69 and Stick in '83 and teaching for over 4 decades should qualify.
Guitar players change tunings to reach new voicings that they can't reach with standard tuning. I did this as a guitarist as well. Michael Hedges wonderfully uses a different tuning on every song he plays.
But now The Stick is different since we have all these strings and ten finger possibilities. I have yet to find a chord voicing, scale, progression etc I couldn't accommodate with the standard tuning. And the 4ths,5tha relationship is so logical it defeats the ease of learning the instrument to alter thst. Complex chords are a breeze with standard tuning.
So I previously answered the question based on my experience giving what I thought was sound advice. Of course the player is free to do whatever he/she wants. Even not to practice. I answered his question based on what I think is best for playing the Stick not on dismissal of freedom. Options are fine if they are of benefit to the outcome. Someone asked and I answered based on my playing and teaching experiences.
BTW...contrary to anything written, I had a marvelous day yesterday, teaching, gigging and hanging with friends and family on my 65th birthday.
SA

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

"Looking for anybody that might have experience and suggestions."

I think I fit the description. I offered suggestions, and although I am not a Stickist, I have tried out a lot of different tunings on the Stick. I did not state that the original poster should or should not "definitely" do anything beyond trying it out;

Y'know? Try it out for whatever reason or motivation, and if it fails, that's okay too. (That's just my opinion, which I am pretty sure I am free to express...)

Steve, you singled me out, dude... my post in no way was dismissive of you or what you do, how you teach, or don't teach, quality of music or whatever...

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:34 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
I have yet to find a chord voicing, scale, progression etc I couldn't accommodate with the standard tuning.

Close triads in the left hand are impossible in standard tuning. Kind of important. Other things as well.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
And the 4ths,5tha relationship is so logical it defeats the ease of learning the instrument to alter thst.

There is a method for learning two-handed music that has been streamlined and made as easy as possible by generations of music masters. You can use it if you tune in fourths. If standard tuning is easier, someone should call Julliard, Berklee, and all those other know-nothings.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Last edited by mad_monk on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

For a while I used a high minor 3rd on top of the group of bass 5ths. This allowed some nice close chord voicings as well as the ability to convert the 11th string down a step to have two 4ths on top. or I could tune the 12th string up a whole step to have a 4th on top.

I believe the first person I heard using this tuning is a player from Montreal named Fred-Erik Souvé.

Randy, you should start making some videos to show people your ideas in action.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:

Not gonna bite. I am not here to convince anyone, nor do I have anything for sale. Just putting good, well-tested ideas out there.

I expect to have a career as a professional in a couple of years and I am not leaving a trail of YouTube vids.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mad_monk wrote:
greg wrote:

Not gonna bite. I am not here to convince anyone, nor do I have anything for sale. Just putting good, well-tested ideas out there.

I expect to have a career as a professional in a couple of years and I am not leaving a trail of YouTube vids.

Mad Monk.
Well, then we'll just have to wait, I guess. No book, no videos, good luck to you... looking forward to finally seeing you put this all together someday.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

It's together. For the moment, seeing it is for those who have supported what I'm doing.
You can wait forever as far as I'm concerned.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next