It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Poll: Reading 

Would you be interested in learning to read music on the Stick?
Yes 85%  85%  [ 17 ]
Maybe 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Knowledge is the work of the devil 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Poll: Reading 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Poll: Reading
mad_monk wrote:
Forty years, six thousand instruments and not one solid reader.
There is something profoundly wrong with that.

Mad Monk.
Well, to be fair, how do you know?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Mark my words, I will be one.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

How many guitar players are there????? How many can read grand staff on guitar?????

How many piano players can sight read the Greg Howard songbook????

The stick is not a piano.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Why y'all trying so hard to dissuade a fella? It's just just another attribute to develop... :D

I'm still going to work on it, I don't care what y'all say. My experience has been very positive with it so far...

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:37 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
How many guitar players are there????? How many can read grand staff on guitar?????

The stick is not a piano.

Jeez thanks, man... feelin' the love...

I read quite well on guitar, and bass (And I am nobody)... They aren't grand staff instruments, so we don't read grand staff.... But I can read in all 12 keys and I am nobody. Mike Stern, Tommy Tedesco, Dan Huff, Brent Mason, Tuck Andress, Will Leavitt, Steve Vai etc etc.. Andres Segovia, and anyone who's made it through Berklee Books 1-3 (Of which there are lots) are pretty good readers...

I am pretty sure that if someone can play Liszt or Chopin, Greg's stuff is not going to be that tough. No offense to Greg, his stuff is great.

Lots of love in the air... I can see that this is a very offensive, hurtful topic

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I think mad monk has a great point with 4ths bass tuning a stick can be used very much like a piano. 5ths bass adds Range but makes reading more difficult for 2 reasons

1. The intervals are not close enough for piano based left hand reading and

2. Reading stick based left hand writing demands seeing very wide intervals.

So..... I read everyday in a legit stick reading way

If I wanted to read the classical piano repertoire I would use 4ths tuning.

My point is that it is not a piano. That's all.

We could really use a great classical reading stickist.

Brett

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I don't think anyone's trying to dissuade you, Scott. I've said often as we've discussed this topic that reading is something I practiced intensely for years, and still practice today (even if it's not as in depth). I just remember this masterclass with the guitarist Greg Howe (Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake) where I asked him how to get the most out of my practicing, and his response was to focus on exercises and practice that very directly targeted the skills I wanted to develop. I've really taken this to heart and have seen the benefits of it in my own playing.

This skill in particular, being good at practicing and viewing practice as a skill, is super important to me since I teach music and gig to pay all my bills. As we talked more about your practice routines and your goals, it seemed to me that the two did not line up as perfectly as they could have. However, if you find yourself improving along the lines that you want to be, then that's all that really matters.

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:55 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:

Challenge accepted!!!

Yes, it’s possible to read through Greg’s Song Book on piano (although I am admittedly really rusty with sight-reading on piano and to be fair I already know most of the tunes). Reading through arpeggios that are R-5-10 in the LH is possible, though not what you’d usually play on piano. I didn’t go through all parts of all the pieces, but it’s kinda fun. Bass lines on Cross Country and Goya’s Dream are just as fun (although that repeating DbM7#11 to C7 section is much more fun on Stick). El Chicle bass line is impossible without adaptation (at least for my hands). Blues for Ayman is just as ridiculous to try to play on piano as Stick.

Reading music is a skill that can be learned. Like most things, it requires dedicated practice - many years of dedicated practice. It’s not just about being able to read the notes, part of the process of sight-reading is playing the instrument. Even though I can read the grand staff and can sight-read on piano, that so far has not translated well to Stick. I’m just not physically fluent enough with the instrument yet. Maybe someday…

There aren’t too many instruments that have a range that necessitates a grand staff or that is played with both hands playing potentially different parts - I can think of Stick, piano/keyboard, harp, and large mallet instruments (I’m probably forgetting some?).

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:08 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Point taken Claire and Jay yes Gregs songbook can be read on piano. I guess my point was that there are very comfortable things played/written for stick which are more natural on stick than it would be on piano.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I was really just having fun - I had honestly never tried playing those pieces on piano.

There's just not much notated music out there that's originally written for Stick.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next