It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

Mad World (for the Last time) 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Mad World (for the Last time)
I thought I'd share my progress on this tune; I quickly videotaped it earlier this week and posted it on youtube for reference. But then, I went and arranged and recorded it just a bit differently. Not too long, and I added a "solo" in there, no big whup just some A Dorian ambient-ish type stuff. I tried to make mine just a bit different, I hope y'all enjoy it. Kinda funny actually...

My rough draft on youtube...

And a slightly more polished version on Soundcloud...

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:36 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Mad World (for the Last time)
Nice melody side tone, just the right amount of distortion IMHO, and nice playing and general vibe. For some reason it makes the back of my brain recapture the Yes' Tales from Topographic Oceans. But Howe used a Telecaster with volume pedal - I assume - so maybe it's just that Dorian scale climbing impro... AMazing how a 'luminum plank can sound that organic.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I saw this last night right before bedtime and thought "Man, this is one of Scott's best covers!" in terms of fluency, and ease, and sheer musicality. You're gonna have to start dialing down on the "Well, I can't really play this Sticky thing yet" or we're all gonna call "bullshit!" and point to this piece.

This was good, brother. Per nailed it!
Per Boysen wrote:
Nice melody side tone, just the right amount of distortion IMHO, and nice playing and general vibe.

Keep rocking it out! (And I want to hear "Come as You Are" too! [Slides a virtual $20 (Canuckian) into Scott's bread jar...)]

Steve

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Two of my favourite dudes took a listen! Cool! Y'all just made my day! :D

It's an interesting instrument, this Chapman Stick is, that's for sure!

Thanks for checking it out, guys.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:00 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Good work, sir!

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thanks for checking it out. Starting work on "Come as You are" beyond just a reading piece, should be interesting to see how long it takes, an if I can make it sound any good.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:05 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Nice job, Scott. I think the part I liked best was when you shifted the melody down an octave into the range of the original vocals (soundcloud version). It sounded like it may have been meant for a backing harmony or something, but to my ear was a more pleasing melody range to listen to. Many folks end up playing the vocal melody to their cover songs at least one octave higher to keep their hands farther apart, I guess. Often it doesn't matter, sometimes it takes away some of the power to my ears.

Great arrangement and playing. I really enjoyed the solo too.
I am curious about the intro and part you play before each verse. Where does that come from? It sounds like part of one of their songs called "Listen".

Mike

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

mike kemp wrote:
Nice job, Scott. I think the part I liked best was when you shifted the melody down an octave into the range of the original vocals (soundcloud version). It sounded like it may have been meant for a backing harmony or something, but to my ear was a more pleasing melody range to listen to. Many folks end up playing the vocal melody to their cover songs at least one octave higher to keep their hands farther apart, I guess. Often it doesn't matter, sometimes it takes away some of the power to my ears.

Great arrangement and playing. I really enjoyed the solo too.
I am curious about the intro and part you play before each verse. Where does that come from? It sounds like part of one of their songs called "Listen".

Mike

Hehe it's a Secret, I'll never tell!

The video was a weird one, I actually like to keep my hands closer together as much as I can, so stretching out into the wilderness and having a bunch of space there kind of makes me feel a bit apprehensive. That coupled with a quick change back to mirrored 4ths... ugh :D Getting there though, I'm putting a lot of effort into improving at this instrument...

Thanks for noticing the arrangement, I wanted to do something interesting that was kind of clean sounding! So yeah, it warms my heart that someone liked it! Cool beans!

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 pm