It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Possible to make the Stick sound more like a bass guitar? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Possible to make the Stick sound more like a bass guitar
Jayesskerr wrote:
Also, to truly emulate a typical bass player try these steps;

1) Put it out of tune. Leave it that way, and play away...

2) Add an extra 16th note beat to whatever time signature you are currently in 4/4 becomes 17/16, etc etc.

3) Don't wash. Ever. Hang out beside the urinal to really get that "bass player smell."

4) Show up late. And at the wrong place.

5) Endeavour to be drunk always. The closest to sober you should be, is unconscious.

6) Relentlessly hit on the singer's girlfriend. Glass eye, peg leg whatever...

7) Rely on one of God's children (Guitar player) to help you make it through the gig.

Lol (Just kidding, calm down...)

As a somewhat new bassist myself now, I think it appropriate to try out some bass player jokes. I stole these shamelessly from here:
http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/to ... sist-jokes

Did you hear about the bassist who was so out of tune his band noticed?

Why couldn’t the bassist get through the front door?
He couldn’t find the key and didn’t know when to come in!

A Bass Teacher is excited about getting a new, young student. The kid is comes in for his first lesson and learns all the notes on the E string. Next week he comes in and the instructor shows him all of the notes on the A string. The third week comes, the teacher is waiting, but the kid never shows up. Annoyed, he calls him to see where he is. The kid picks up and says, "Oh, sorry man, I got a gig..."

Why can’t bassists tell jokes? Timing.

Did you hear about the drummer who locked his keys in his car?
It took him four hours to get the bass player out.

How many bassists does it take to change a light bulb?
Just one, but the guitarist has to show him how to do it first.

How many country-western bass players does it take to change a light bulb?
1 - 5 - 1 - 5 - 1 - 5

A man goes on a vacation to a tropical island. As soon as the plane lands, he gets off and hears drumming. At first, he thinks, “This is pretty cool.” He ends up going to a luau and hears the drumming. He eats lunch and hears the drums. He goes to the beach and hears the drums. He tries to sleep, but can’t because of the constant drumming.

The drumming goes on for four days. The guy has to go down to the front desk because he can’t sleep. He asks the manager “What is the deal with these drums! Make them stop. I haven’t got any sleep this whole week!”

The manager of the hotel says “No. Drums don’t stop. You don’t want the drums to stop, sir.”

“Why?”

“Because when drums stop… Bass solo begins!”

Happy Friday!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Also, to truly emulate a typical bass player try these steps;

1) Put it out of tune. Leave it that way, and play away...

2) Add an extra 16th note beat to whatever time signature you are currently in 4/4 becomes 17/16, etc etc.

3) Don't wash. Ever. Hang out beside the urinal to really get that "bass player smell."

4) Show up late. And at the wrong place.

5) Endeavour to be drunk always. The closest to sober you should be, is unconscious.

6) Relentlessly hit on the singer's girlfriend. Glass eye, peg leg whatever...

7) Rely on one of God's children (Guitar player) to help you make it through the gig.

Lol (Just kidding, calm down...)

But Scott, I have tried all these things, I really have. And still no dice. I even got the guitarist's girlfriend to break up with him(her name is Eileen ;) )... now he is homeless and needs to crash at my house--I'll never make that mistake again.

We got a great laugh out of your post(my wife and I, not the guitarist).

Thank you all for the great responses. I am not sure any of it will help in this case, now, because circumstances have come up that may mean a compromise of another kind. Nothing bad, just different. The encouraging news is that, though we are sad to lose our bassist and friend, it has sparked a determination and renewed sense of purpose for some of the other members. And my role will likely expand anyway.

Keep the ideas coming. I think there are some great ideas here and will definitely use some of the suggestions, in this musical context or another. Some of the preliminary experimentation has yielded very pleasing results. Most helpful so far, on short time and limited resources, were the suggestions about how to approach the strings with my fingers. But also I tried some changes in EQ and the "presence" knob on my amp(I didn't even know what that knob was for :oops: ).

I will keep you all posted in some fashion. Maybe even make a small video when I have practiced the techniques and get a sound that I like.

Thanks again.

Mike

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Mike, I just want to say this 'cause I think maybe my posts could be taken as "Just play bass" or "Stickists suck, real bassists rule". Not what I was trying to say; I just feel strongly that the Stick and Bass guitar are different animals, based on tuning and articulation alone...

But, why in the heck would you WANT to 'just' play bass? Especially when you are really good at Stick? Play Stick, so fucking what if the band takes a truly bizarre turn and ends up being unique and different. Let it sound like a Stick, fuck 'em.

Yes, I have a rotten attitude.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:00 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Why make the Stick sound more like a bass? To have more opportunities to fit in.

When I fist got my Stick I really wanted to be able to substitute it for bass just to be able to play it more. At the time I was working (as a bassist) playing a lot of weddings and parties. No one would have really cared (beyond looks) if I played Stick as long as it fulfilled that fat sound (across the entire bass range) that bass does. I really tried to get that type of sound but I never did. That was unfortunate because if I would have been able to do that, I would have gotten to play the Stick much much more and improved at a much faster rate.

So for me, at that time, it wasn't about denying what the Stick is, it was looking for more opportunities to play it by filling the bass role as inconspicuously as possible. Didn't happen.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My answer to this is a good bass DI. For years I had the Sansamp, but last year I traded it for the EBS Microbass II. The only time I've ever seen anyone else use one was another Stick player at the Melbourne seminar I went to in 2010. This newer model has a ton of tone controls with a sweepable midrange. Fattens up the sound of both my Sticks and works really well with the melody side as well. Added bonus it works as a DI for acoustic guitars pretty well also. Before I started answering this I was using it in front of my Helix, and it works well "doubling" the amp simulation.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:

1 2 3 4 5 6 se-ven. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Stickrad wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

1 2 3 4 5 6 se-ven. :lol:

That's exactly how
You should do it!!!! Gotta try solsbury hills this way!
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:22 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
This is what I do when I want the Stick to sound more like a bass:

cut the highs
cut a little below 80 Hz and then boost the bass shelf overall
compress it

Say Greg, I've heard this from time to time in posts from years (decades?) past. What does compression do to contribute to this particular endeavor?

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

A fruitful lesson discussion on this matter with our initiater has transpired.
Various ways of playing were considered plus electronics and effects. The actual bass line itself does affect the possible sonic quality of note linkage. But the main obstacle is still that initial attack of the tapped string. We got a bit closer to the answer via experimentation of the variables and other technique influences. Very introspective

Steve A

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

"We've got the Thunk..."

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next