[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickist.com - View topic - Possible to make the Stick sound more like a bass guitar?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Possible to make the Stick sound more like a bass guitar? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Possible to make the Stick sound more like a bass guitar

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Mike, I just want to say this 'cause I think maybe my posts could be taken as "Just play bass" or "Stickists suck, real bassists rule". Not what I was trying to say; I just feel strongly that the Stick and Bass guitar are different animals, based on tuning and articulation alone...

But, why in the heck would you WANT to 'just' play bass? Especially when you are really good at Stick? Play Stick, so fucking what if the band takes a truly bizarre turn and ends up being unique and different. Let it sound like a Stick, fuck 'em.

Yes, I have a rotten attitude.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:00 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Why make the Stick sound more like a bass? To have more opportunities to fit in.

When I fist got my Stick I really wanted to be able to substitute it for bass just to be able to play it more. At the time I was working (as a bassist) playing a lot of weddings and parties. No one would have really cared (beyond looks) if I played Stick as long as it fulfilled that fat sound (across the entire bass range) that bass does. I really tried to get that type of sound but I never did. That was unfortunate because if I would have been able to do that, I would have gotten to play the Stick much much more and improved at a much faster rate.

So for me, at that time, it wasn't about denying what the Stick is, it was looking for more opportunities to play it by filling the bass role as inconspicuously as possible. Didn't happen.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My answer to this is a good bass DI. For years I had the Sansamp, but last year I traded it for the EBS Microbass II. The only time I've ever seen anyone else use one was another Stick player at the Melbourne seminar I went to in 2010. This newer model has a ton of tone controls with a sweepable midrange. Fattens up the sound of both my Sticks and works really well with the melody side as well. Added bonus it works as a DI for acoustic guitars pretty well also. Before I started answering this I was using it in front of my Helix, and it works well "doubling" the amp simulation.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:22 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

A fruitful lesson discussion on this matter with our initiater has transpired.
Various ways of playing were considered plus electronics and effects. The actual bass line itself does affect the possible sonic quality of note linkage. But the main obstacle is still that initial attack of the tapped string. We got a bit closer to the answer via experimentation of the variables and other technique influences. Very introspective

Steve A

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

"We've got the Thunk..."

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next