It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 pm

'Offset Parallel Fifths' tuning for NS/Stick 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: 'Offset Parallel Fifths' tuning for NS/Stick
Ted S. wrote:
Not to co-opt the original post, but, does anyone know of a similar tuning for 10 string Stick, with the standard/classic 5ths bass, except with 5ths on the melody side? i.e. 5ths instead of 4ths on the melody side with standard bass 5ths tuning.

Is this even possible

Yes fifths on both sides is possible.

There are not really any tunings to refer to because there are no 'official', or even any popular, dual fifths tunings, even for other brands of tapguitar.
(The Touch Guitars 10 string tuning is not pure fifths on the melody side, it also contains a minor third.)
You just have to design a tuning according to your needs.

A 10 string tuning i thought of, which covers the entire pitch range of available Stick strings (Bb0 to D4) is:
Bass (low to high): BbFCGD (Bb0 to D3)
Melody (low to high): BbFCGD (Bb1 to D4)
The two sides are offset by an octave.

Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:19 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

JerryS wrote:
robmartino wrote:
The most immediate idea that occurs to me is to use your 10 string tuning/gauges but drop the highest pitch string on each side (1 and 6). You'd lose the lowest tappable notes from the 10 string since the NS/Stick doesn't have the extra X fret of the 36" scale 10 string (thus becoming the open string pitches, which of course you can access with the NS damper disengaged), but you could also tune all the strings down a semitone (but that would likely require slightly different gauges).

@robmartino many thanks for this: it does indeed seem like a sensible option.
Would you be in a position to recommend gauges (for the non-downtuned option) for this?

Since you wouldn't be downtuning I think you'd be able to use the same gauges as your 10 string tuning- I don't believe different gauges are required between 34" and 36" scale instruments for the same tuning.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Ted S. wrote:
Not to co-opt the original post, but, does anyone know of a similar tuning for 10 string Stick, with the standard/classic 5ths bass, except with 5ths on the melody side? i.e. 5ths instead of 4ths on the melody side with standard bass 5ths tuning.

I will design this tuning for you now :D

10 string Classic tuning has the melody side tuned as high as possible, therefore the top string is D4, the highest possible pitch on a 34" scale (or X fret on 36" scale) instrument.

So for your requested tuning, it seems appropriate for the melody side to choose 5 strings in fifths tuned as high as possible, therefore the top string is D4.
Adding the Classic bass side tuning, the result is:

Bass (low to high): CGDAE (C1 to E3)
Melody (low to high): BbFCGD (Bb1 to D4)

I consider this the 'dual fifths' equivalent of 10 string Classic tuning.
The offset between the sides is 10 semitones.

Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:20 am