It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 am

Just got my N/S Stick! 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Just got my N/S Stick!
This thing is crazy! I bought it used thru the classifieds section of the forum, shout outs to Paradox (David) for the hook up! I've been playing bass/classical guitar for like 15 years and I'm really into mixing jazzy chord progressions and synthy basslines with ancient drum machine loops. So like industrial lounge jazz or what the internet calls "fighter jet documentary music". The stick is perfect for this :ugeek: ... Anyways, as soon as I started playing this thing it was like some kind of major life experience. It's fantastic, I have nothing but nice things to say about it, honestly it gives me the urge to just quit my job so I can spend more time playing it! lol (Not gonna acctualy do that)

One issue I have though is how much electrical interference the pick ups "pick up", not sure if it's a wiring issue or if it's just because it's old

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:26 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Just got my N/S Stick!
Yeah, I can relate. After playing the Stick for a bit, I've decided to pick up an NS. I am not "moving" to the NS, but yeah, as a bassist, it's a bit of a phenomenon.

I have been meaning to put together a video on it, but where is the time..?

You might be able to reach out on here to some other NS players here. Can you explain the issue a little more? Maybe some video, something simple of what you are up against?

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

It's just regular electrical interference you'd encounter with passive pickups, I've never really had this issue with active pickups though. It's like a giant antenna basically, I have to face either my PC or my amplifier to deaden the static feedback.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:34 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The NS is a great instrument. As a guitarist you might want to try tuning to "Guitar Intervals"
with a capo at the fifth fret. I think that will make the NS like a guitar with two bass strings
that can be tuned in various ways. Anyway, the NS is versatile in ways that the Stick is not as far as 'tuning experimentation', and you can basically do anything that
you can do with a guitar and not need to change the strings and intonation (too much) and then
just revert back to straight fourths without any issues :|.

My experience with the pickups has been that they are very quit. But I have had the same electrical buzz problem with guitars and other than a possible shielding issue I think lights like "Halogen lights" can be the problem and create some sort of field that gets amplified :geek:. There must be a way to solve it though because some guitars are fine. Good luck.

...............................................................jRj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi John, glad you're enjoying the NS, it sounds perfect for you!

I did not experience any noise with the pickups, as they are active EMG tele pickups. Maybe it's something in your specific environment, maybe they need a new battery? There might be a passive setting from one of the switches, but I don't remember...

There is an NS user manual online, I tried to attach it here but it wouldn't due to the webarchive tag at the end, but here's the document name as I found it.

STICK ENTERPRISES NS:STICK OPERATOR'S MANUAL.pdf .webarchive

Hope this is helpful, David

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:29 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yeah, check the battery. Allways overlooked, allways the culprit. (I have the ACT2 on my Stick, it does weird shit draining down way before it's dead)

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I changed the battery and still got buzz.... Hmmm, might be from the lights or lead paint or something Idk I'm not totally concerned about it right now, I can find ways around it for the time being.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:09 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Does the buzz change when you move around the room?
Others can correct me on this but I'm pretty sure the pickups although active, are still single coil which will tend to pickup noise.

10 string Nickle Plasma Railboard #6974 MR tuning.

http://www.randomfaktor.com

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:22 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

My PASV-4 does NOT like my NORDLEADII. I don't remember how the ACTV2 re-acted to it (haven't had it on the Stick in a while)

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Since you've replaced the battery, I would try narrowing this down further to the cable and whatever you are using for an amp. In some cases, there can be some wiring issues or loose circuitry, but it is less common.

I'm sure you're testing all these variables, please let us know how the continued testing goes.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery