It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Solo NS/Stick Videos 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Solo NS/Stick Videos
Well, whatever the guy played on; he sounds great! Can't dispute ability... looking forward to seeing/ hearing you on your NS/Stick Steve.

ROIT. Back to practice.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Well, whatever the guy played on; he sounds great! Can't dispute ability... looking forward to seeing/ hearing you on your NS/Stick Steve.

ROIT. Back to practice.

I already have 5 strings on the two Sticks' melody side that are already tuned in fourths. I've been practicing on the melody side the last couple of weeks in anticipation of having 8 strings tuned in bass fourths with the NS/Stick. I've already written 3 little tunes on the Railboard melody side that are played an octave up, using the 5 strings. I've literally written my NS/Stick demo song that I want to use to first try it out, using the Railboard as my model.

What I hope to really enjoy about the NS/Stick is although there are two sets of pickups for a stereo signal, and the two sets of fours strings have some physical separation at the bottom of the guitar into two groups of 4 strings, there really isn't a "melody" side or a "bass" side. It's just 8 strings tuned in fourths from bottom to top, and the two hands are always playing in "half-crossed" position, which we would call it on a "regular" Stick. I'm a 2-handed guy anyway with my licks and melodies and that seems a good fit for the NS. I don't have my piano split into a melody side and a bass side--not that I mind the split on the "regular" Stick. It's actually part of the genius. I actually inquired about getting the NS tuned in fifths and fourths, like a Stick, but everyone convinced me that bass 4ths is the way to go (and I HATE HATE HATE irregular tuning, so no "guitar tuning," with that upper 3rd instead of the 4th, for me! I hate that with a red hot fury, but I digress!)

So I'm looking forward to one big fretboard going up from bottom to top in nice, regular fourths. I still love the "classical" tunings and I don't come from a traditional bass player background to use that as an excuse. And there should be 3 or 4 quick videos out to Stickist very soon: an Unboxening Lord Vader his NS/Stick Sithness and then the 3 little ditties I've already written for Railboard (melody side only) that I play to transfer over.

And by the way, if ANY NS/Stick unboxing video exists on the intertubes, I could not find it. Mine might be the first and only; I'll have to do it up!

Forgot to add a video!
Some awesome strings to go along with your NS-ness:
At Day's End - Russell Keating - NS/Stick

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I've been thinking about the NS a lot recently. I've had a railboard and a 12-string for a while now duking it out on which one I want to keep. The loser may turn into an NS after I sell it.

The main thing that really interests me on the NS is the ability to tap, pick and strum on the same instrument. I love the video with Jan fingerpicking it.

But I don't see any videos where people really take advantage of the strumming, which makes me wonder if it isn't quite as adept at strumming more than just a quick downstroke.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:12 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

"...Russ's instrument doesn't have the headless stock on top like an NS, which is another distinctive feature of the NS/Stick. There's apparently a difference in the dot pattern as well."

My 1st build is headless. Not to copy the NS, but because I am sold on the great balance of headless instruments. If I had good hardware that worked with my string spacing, all my builds would be headless.

As far as the dots ... The NS doesn't have dots at the 24th fret. That bugged me so I put 2 dots there. It was more for aesthetics than functionality.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:12 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Got my shipping notice from Cambria. Will be here by about next Monday. I like that the serial number is on the shipping manifest, so I know my NS/Stick is #170130, which I finally figured out was the DATE! I've seen those NS serial numbers before but never realized they were dates of manufacture. That's pretty cool. I like that the date is built into the number and it doesn't give any clue as to the total number of Sticks that are out there. I'm embarrassed that I never noticed that before! :oops:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

snoitan wrote:
I've been thinking about the NS a lot recently. I've had a railboard and a 12-string for a while now duking it out on which one I want to keep. The loser may turn into an NS after I sell it.

The main thing that really interests me on the NS is the ability to tap, pick and strum on the same instrument. I love the video with Jan fingerpicking it.

But I don't see any videos where people really take advantage of the strumming, which makes me wonder if it isn't quite as adept at strumming more than just a quick downstroke.

Yes, you just need a light touch. Keep in mind with a wide fretboard and a 34" scale neck you typically are not going to hear strumming like a guitar, barre chords are a bit tricky. What can help also is using a Scubb capo, and altered tunings. Also, tap and hold a lower note and strum a chord on higher stings works too. Upstrokes are no different than downstrokes. I do use a pick often on mine.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:00 am

Thanks. That helps.

There are a whole host of chords played on the bottom four strings of a guitar that I think should translate to NS in guitar tuning. From the 5th fret, you can play an A, Am, D, Dm and F just using the bottom 4 strings of the barre chords and the D shape for the F. And when playing power chords, it is easy to mute surrounding strings.

I can hold each of these on my Railboard even higher up with the wider fret spacing, so I would think from a fingering perspective, there should be a good range of possibility on the NS given the right touch.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 am
Contributor
Contributor

You can strum it. I gave it a shot on a song once...works pretty great, although it is different than on a guitar.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:15 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:20 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next