It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 am

Dirty pots 

Post Dirty pots
Hey folks!

What's the best way to clean dirty/noisy pots on my NS?

NS Stick #31114 w/GK2 Major 3rd tuning

Stanislav and The Lion
Birdsall/Leõn/Hayes
Strada-Sphere Radio Podcast

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Dirty pots
Caig Fader Lube. It's made for this and works very well. A good TV tuner cleaner works, too. Check your local electronics shop.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanx!!!! I'll look for some.

NS Stick #31114 w/GK2 Major 3rd tuning

Stanislav and The Lion
Birdsall/Leõn/Hayes
Strada-Sphere Radio Podcast

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've got a dirty pot on the volume knob of my Railboard AND also the plug will go out if I bump it wrong. I discovered it at Interlochen and thought my amp had blown a tube/circuit.

But I rarely use the volume knob at all (that and the tone knobs could be set to max for all I care, although there are differences in the tone knob for the Railboard, so I take that back. But a traditional tone-knob for me is always at max.)

And the weird cut-out on the plugin to the Railboard is fine as long as it's plugged in and working, and then I jiggle it to get it back when it pops out of alignment and when I hold my mouth just right when plugging it in (which only happens plugging it in and not so much ever actually playing it.)

So, the dirty volume knob and the funky plug might be related and might be cleared up with some good spray of something inside, but the problems are easily worked around. I've not bothered to open up the Railboard Block and take at look inside, although it's within my technical competency. But until the problem is actually a showstopper, I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

But I thought I'd see about that spray or "Caig Fader Lube." That's new to me. What I used to use when I was younger in the studios has probably been replaced by better technology than carburetor cleanout sprays (depending on what an ancient keyboard like the ARP 2600 has going wrong with it, from sticking keys to sticky pots. There were also some brand-name sprays I've forgotten that might not even exist anymore).

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery