It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:22 am

Franken Stick on ebay 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Franken Stick on ebay
thewildest wrote:
Not to ruffle any feathers here, but I am sort of surprised at the reaction you gentlemen are having once you find an instrument that does not match what you would consider "a recognizable instrument", or some sort of "known pattern"...... I may be the only one, but I celebrate the ingenuity and balls required to go ahead and apply whatever changes you need to your instrument to make it fit your needs/project/musical requirements. The Stick is on itself a product of several iterations, years of development, and it required a guy with a bunch of good ideas to come up with a piece of stringed wood that may have scared your own elders, as they may have found the creation as "weird", "unclassifiable", or.... firewood. That is often referred as "innovation"

Of any crowd around, i would have expected some open mindness on this one, made out of minds that enjoy venturing out of the standard once in a while.....Be careful lads, we may be getting the impression that there is some sort of "mainstream" within this little glass of water....

Peace

I agree, Gustavo.

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with the guy's concept, and I certainly wouldn't discourage experimentation. I was just saying that the end result looked really bad! The instrument looks like a hack got hold of it. Kind of like buying a Ferrari and swapping its engine for a lawnmower motor.

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

thewildest wrote:
Not to ruffle any feathers here, but I am sort of surprised at the reaction you gentlemen are having once you find an instrument that does not match what you would consider "a recognizable instrument", or some sort of "known pattern"...... I may be the only one, but I celebrate the ingenuity and balls required to go ahead and apply whatever changes you need to your instrument to make it fit your needs/project/musical requirements. The Stick is on itself a product of several iterations, years of development, and it required a guy with a bunch of good ideas to come up with a piece of stringed wood that may have scared your own elders, as they may have found the creation as "weird", "unclassifiable", or.... firewood. That is often referred as "innovation"

Of any crowd around, i would have expected some open mindness on this one, made out of minds that enjoy venturing out of the standard once in a while.....Be careful lads, we may be getting the impression that there is some sort of "mainstream" within this little glass of water....

Peace

I think it'd be fine if the modifications looked more professional. It just looks really tacky. If it were done more professionally, i doubt you'd see the reactions you are. Its not about the innovation or lack thereof, its about the quality of the work done on the instrument.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:15 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Give it a new bridge and flaps and the only remaining sign of the conversion will be the filled holes on the headstock.
I've seen worse :D

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Shedua511 wrote:
Give it a new bridge and flaps and the only remaining sign of the conversion will be the filled holes on the headstock.
I've seen worse :D

Could be a good thing to do! But it'd be better that once the auction is done to make the seller send it straight to SE to make the work done, so SE can send it to the auction winner. :)

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:34 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

thewildest wrote:
...apply whatever changes you need to your instrument to make it fit your needs/project/musical requirements.

I should have elaborated and agree with what you said. That is exactly why I am curious about it. There is a story behind this one.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

rob5280 wrote:
thewildest wrote:
...apply whatever changes you need to your instrument to make it fit your needs/project/musical requirements.

I should have elaborated and agree with what you said. That is exactly why I am curious about it. There is a story behind this one.

It would be very interesting to hear the story. Of course many of us are fans of Mary Shelly for the same reasons! LOL.

I did notice in the description the seller said he is not a musician, so apparently the stick is being sold through a second party or pawn shop or such.

As for experimentation, if it were me, if I were to try something like that, I'd try to not irreparably alter the instrument. Both for aesthetic and resale reasons.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

1: It's hard to tell if the action is high because of the bridge mod, or if the instrument is bowed.

2. Whoever did this probably didn't play the instrument much because the bass strings aren't even lined up with the pickup pole pieces.

Repairing this instrument will cost many hundreds of dollars, even if it has not been damaged to the point where Francesco's suggestion wouldn't work (though it might, only Emmett could say for sure).

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I am a bass player that at some point had a custom made 10 String Stick.......and now that I have more time looking to buy again a stick and encounter this Franken at eBay..........there is nothing wrong with modified the instrument......but definitely the owner that modified this one should be sent it to Emmet and ask for a professional modification........Who knows how is the tuning and the change on tension provide to the neck.............as someone else mentioned above the work looks tacky..............any way hope that someone will send it to Emmet to be repair or keep the modification but done by the creator..............

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:30 pm