It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:08 am

Finally Buying a Stick and I need some Help! 

Post Finally Buying a Stick and I need some Help!
Hey Everyone,
So about 1 1/2 ago I bought a 10 string Krappy guitar to get my feet wet in the tapping world. I am a 22 year old college student so I wasnt able to afford a stick as my first instrument. I have learned the basics on it, and now I needed something that can give me a better tone, and a more comfortable playing position. The problem is I dont have $2100 up front to spend. Yesterday was a sad day. I have been checking ebay for used sticks for the past year every single day. There was a 10 string classic tuning, Light bamboo, stickup pickup(the exact instrument i wanted) listed on ebay for $1,100 with one bid on it. It was the best day i convinced my parents to help me purchase up front and i would pay them back. So all the way into the last 30min of the bid it jumped up by 10 bids to 1,300. Within the last 15 seconds we were trying to get the winning bid with 1450 and the guy bidding against was able to get his bid in faster. So it went from a great day, to a depressing day in a matter of seconds. So my mom(feeling horrible that we didnt get it) offered for me to just buy a brand new stick from SE and make payments to her.

So i need help!!
I want to get a 10 string, classic tuning, rosewood stick
The part I need help with is pickup choice between the stickup, or actv-2?
I really enjoy the sound of the stickup, but I would like to here what some of you have to say about pickup choice?

BobCulbertson CDs Moment in Time, Romantica 1 does anyone know what pickup model he is using? And Greg Howards album Stick Figures pickup model?
So thank you anyone who can leave me some feedback on purchasing a new stick, I hope to place an order as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Giovanni Sacco

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:49 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Finally Buying a Stick and I need some Help!
Congratulations!

Greg used a Stickup on "Stick Figures" and Bob also used that pickup on "A Moment in Time". I'm not sure what he used on the "Romantica" CDs but I think it might have been an ACTV-2.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hey that sounds like a good deal you've cut with your parents.
By the time your stick is made, you may have just about paid for it.
I'm also in the boat of getting one even though I can't quite safely afford it. Just got to wait a few more months until I move. If everything goes well I'll order.

As far as pickups go, I can't really say too much about that since I don't have a stick yet. But it seems like everybody uses the stickup (for stickup tone) or the PASV4 (for super versatility). It seems like the ACTV2 is the least popular.
The PASV4 is a bit more expensive, but I think its worth it. Totally getting one.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

A lot of us like the ACTV-2 a lot! It has an amazing clean tone to it. I think the PASV-4 attracts a lot of people who would have considered the ACTV due to its flexibility.

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gsacco9321 wrote:

So i need help!!
I want to get a 10 string, classic tuning, rosewood stick
The part I need help with is pickup choice between the stickup, or actv-2?
I really enjoy the sound of the stickup, but I would like to here what some of you have to say about pickup choice?

BobCulbertson CDs Moment in Time, Romantica 1 does anyone know what pickup model he is using? And Greg Howards album Stick Figures pickup model?
So thank you anyone who can leave me some feedback on purchasing a new stick, I hope to place an order as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Giovanni Sacco
Hi Giovanni,

Glenn is right in what he said about the pickups. For solo play I like the Stickup very much. It has a 3-dimensional quality to the sound, almost like an acoustic instrument.

Part of the sound is also in the tuning. I use the Baritone Melody tuning on my 10-string, so there is more low end presence in the melody strings, it's more like a guitar in that way.

The instrument on that recording was a polycarbonate Stick with light gauge strings.

Welcome to Stickland!

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Don't feel so bad...I was bidding on that SAME bamboo stick and my eBay froze on me before I could outbid. It happens to us all :-)

Well, with what Greg already said, the Stickup would be a great option...and, save you some cash with Mom and Dad at the same time.

Best of luck mate!!!

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:03 am