It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 am

SOLD! - #7042 Brand New, SB8 - Stick Bass 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: SOLD! - #7042 Brand New, SB8 - Stick Bass
Walt, it was actually real easy to do once I thought about it some, I wish Greg could have seen it, along with Emmett.

Wonder if Grace ever checks out these forums........

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:08 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: FS - #7042 Brand New, SB8 - Stick Bass
Big George Waters wrote:
I always wished they could have had the Railboard 8 have the same Bridge and Nut set up, instead of having that massive gap running down the center

While we are on this subject ... yes, i think the Railboards have a fairly important omission: An 8 string with equal string spacing, intended for tunings which are a single sequence of strings (like all-fourths, guitar intervals or Crafty 8 string tuning).
Of the many players who use a 'single sequence tuning' i think most would prefer no gap.
If i acquired a Stick it would be in a single sequence tuning, and i could not tolerate a gap.

So essentially a Railboard version of the Stick Bass. A 'Railbass'?
(However i could understand what i guess is the reasoning behind only offering an 8 string with a gap. I just disagree with that reasoning :D . I also do not suggest the RB8 with a gap is discontinued.)

Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:16 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

ixlramp wrote:
Big George Waters wrote:
I always wished they could have had the Railboard 8 have the same Bridge and Nut set up, instead of having that massive gap running down the center

While we are on this subject ... yes, i think the Railboards have a fairly important omission: An 8 string with equal string spacing, intended for tunings which are a single sequence of strings (like all-fourths, guitar intervals or Crafty 8 string tuning).
Of the many players who use a 'single sequence tuning' i think most would prefer no gap.
If i acquired a Stick it would be in a single sequence tuning, and i could not tolerate a gap.

(However i could understand what i guess is the reasoning behind only offering an 8 string with a gap. I just disagree with that reasoning :D . I also do not suggest the RB8 with a gap is discontinued.)

It would be an easy option (other than the fret scalloping that is extreme on RBs). On the bridge end, my bamboo 12-string already had offset screw holes for 7+5. At the flaps end, Emmett was reluctant to send me the 7+5 configuration. Don't know why, his reasoning was obscure. (I came up with a fix, tried it for a second). Maybe Stick Ents. will be a little more liberal these days.

Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
At the flaps end, Emmett was reluctant to send me the 7+5 configuration. Don't know why, his reasoning was obscure. (I came up with a fix, tried it for a second). Maybe Stick Ents. will be a little more liberal these days.

I believe Rob Martino's custom 5 (melody) + 7 (bass) mirrored 4ths Stick has one 5 string flap & one 6 string flap plus an 'old fashioned' slotted screw to handle the odd string?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:31 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

ixlramp wrote:
Big George Waters wrote:

Greg told me it could not be done due to the pick up block, he said it would never work.

Also, the Railboard 8 uses the same Railbeam as the Railboard 10

Well, my pictures which are posted here within this thread show that it does, and it works very very well.

The problem is a new bridge would have to been created - but how hard could that have been to do ?? The same bridge segments could have been used on a newly designed plate which mounted into the Railbeam, but who am I to say or judge a builders decision ??

I'm just glad I was able to make my instrument work, because otherwise I would have been very very sad.

I would consider buying another one IF the frets are not severely scalloped so I could set it up in another alternate tuning, but I do not believe S.E. makes them anymore - and I have NEVER seen one used.

But I would totally buy another Railboard 8 as the string spacing is really really good and the feel of the instrument unmatached.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:
after looking at the bridge, I got the idea to alter the individual components so I could have the strings exactly where they should have been from the get go....The flaps were easy - I removed the screws and the flaps popped into place on their own.

I remembered the ideas you described here and this weekend I employed then to adjust & even out the much smaller inter-group gap on my older 12 grand to better suit my latest tuning exploration.

My latest tuning (I really think I'm getting close to my ideal now - but I've thought that before - LOL!) has a series of 9 descending 4ths from D4 to Bb0. The other 3 strings involve octave shifts & 5ths and are either side the main group. That means that the sequence of 4ths crosses the middle ground.

The centre gap was only ~1.5mm wider than the rest & I was managing to at least try out the tuning without much issue, but if I'm sticking with the idea (& I think I am) having even spacing right across seems like a very good thing.

Big George Waters wrote:
It is the only one to my knowledge that is set up like this.

I've not come across or heard of anything like my 'Low Extended Classic Melody with outer 5ths' being tried either. It seems such an obvious idea to me (all standard strings from just 2 sets) that I can't believe I'm the first to try it?
Adopting & adapting your bridge & flaps ideas trims it off nicely. :)

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:56 pm