It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:13 pm

SOLD UK: 1985 Ironwood 10 string #1642 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: FS UK: 1985 Ironwood 10 string #1642
bodger wrote:
Tad worried about the back bow. Does this affect the intonation and/or make it more difficult to play?

It affects how low you can get the action.

My other two Sticks both developed back bows when they arrived here as they got used to the local environment[1].However, those are both much more recent & have adjustable truss rods so I was able to 'flatten' them which allows for a lower action than I can achieve with this one.

I was happily playing this one for many months before the others turned up. Indeed, the experience I gained with this one was an important factor in having the confidence to buy the others when they were offered.

You are welcome to PM me if you'd prefer to ask things privately.

[1] One came here from Switzerland, the other from Southern England.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

bodger wrote:
Tad worried about the back bow. Does this affect the intonation and/or make it more difficult to play?

PS. The previous owner stated here on Stickist

Quote:
I checked the neck for bending (I play 6 & 8 string basses from a local luthier here: ACG basses (all flat profile) and its something I keep an eye on) but the Stick is straight and true with no lateral or longitudinal warping.

I have no way of proving that, but nor do I have any reason to doubt it.

I'm am reporting how it is now. I can't do any other. All that's really changed between when it was with the previous owner & now is a change of local environment. I live on an island off the West coast of Scotland that is famous for being 'Misty'.

How it will be in another location is impossible for me to predict. That's life with these old ironwood Sticks.

Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

bodger wrote:
Tad worried about the back bow.

PPS. If I received a brand new, perfectly setup, wooden Stick straight from SE, I'd expect it to develop a back bow since the atmosphere here is significantly damper than the Los Angeles area. If I were in an ultra low humidity place I would imagine it would probably develop a bow instead? It's a perfectly normal thing. Wood reacts to environment.

The difference would be that a brand new Stick would have an adjustable truss rod that could be used to restore that perfect initial setup..

If this Stick had an adjustable truss rod it would not be for sale at this price...

Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:00 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

back bow - can I assume this means the action is now too low at the 12th fret ?? or it is a regular bow - where the action is too high at the 12th fret ??

only asking - because if it's the first, putting it back into Classic Stick tuning might provide the correct tension which this instrument was designed for.

*just wanted to throw that out there.

I have two Ironwoods, both of which I absolutely love, one [the older] has flatwounds, the other [newer] roundwounds and both are tuned to the Classic Stick tuning.

There's something really special about those old Ironwoods, I am hopeful that yours will find a real good home and provide it's new owner with much joy and inspiration.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:
back bow - can I assume this means the action is now too low at the 12th fret ??

Yes 'back bow', aka 'arch'. I presume the wood wants to expand due to local humidity, but the back is restrained by the twin fixed truss rod with the result that the string side of the beam is currently fractionally longer than the truss rod side, hence generating an arch.

Big George Waters wrote:
only asking - because if it's the first, putting it back into Classic Stick tuning might provide the correct tension which this instrument was designed for.

*just wanted to throw that out there.

Thanks for the comment BGW, however Light Baritone Melody is an SE approved & supplied string set for Ironwoods. SE even supply a special set of bridge screws to handle the different intonation (I have those fitted, but I also have the originals should a new owner wish to revert to Classic 10).

Big George Waters wrote:
There's something really special about those old Ironwoods, I am hopeful that yours will find a real good home and provide it's new owner with much joy and inspiration.

Me too. : D

Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:

That comment in particular had me choosing to use this Stick for today's practice session. I'd not played her for quite a while as the tunings I have on the others Stick are now quite different (Not the RMR & Full Baritone currently in my sig, as I'm doing some experiments...).

I was delighted to find that almost no re-tuning was needed, just a light tweak on a couple of strings. As it had been mentioned here I also double checked intonation comparing the usual frets 2 & 14 and found it to be absoutely fine (checked with the tuner on my Helix Lite, in strobe mode).

I didn't find the "could be improved on if fully adjustable" action any issue at all with playing & had a thoroughly enjoyable practice session.

I'll not be at all disappointed if this Stick stays here. :D As I wrote at the start of this topic "I'm not in any hurry to part with this beautiful Stick, but since I now have two other Sticks I feel it's time to offer someone else a chance with this one.".

This Stick was a great 'kick start' for me. Without it I'd have been many months longer before I could start learning to play. I'd love to keep it, but I'm trying to "Do The Right Thing" by making it available for someone else who's in the position I was. Part of "Doing The Right Thing" is being as open as I'm able about what's for sale.

Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:24 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sounds good to me mate.

Cheers !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:12 pm

Hi David,

I know I have taken some time to think about this, but is your stick still for sale?

Cheers
Karen

Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BowlingKaz wrote:
I know I have taken some time to think about this, but is your stick still for sale?

Hi Karen,
Taking time is perfectly reasonable.

Yes, the Stick is still for sale.

You are welcome to PM me to ask any questions you have or to otherwise continue this discussion in private.

Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:51 am

Sent a PM :)

Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:48 am