It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:27 am

WTB: My first stick! Eastern Canada. In TO week of July 18th 

Post WTB: My first stick! Eastern Canada. In TO week of July 18th
Hello folks. I've been here off and on, looking for a decently priced Chapman Stick. This time, I decided I would make my own thread thanks to the dream I had last night. I've seen how many different configurations there are when it comes to body, strings, and pickups, but I can't afford to be too picky with something I've never even touched in my life. My primary interest came from finding Rob Martino's One Cloud many many many years ago, and has drifted in and out of my thoughts since then. I am located in Nova Scotia, but will be visiting Toronto sometime in the next 4.5 weeks (July 18th onward), and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to even fiddle with one for a few minutes, should the opportunity present itself.

All that said, who wouldn't want a 12 string, right? But of course I would certainly take a 10 as I shouldn't get ahead of myself (hard when you're exited though). Wooden or railboard shouldn't matter too much to me, I just know it will be a learning experience to begin with. Would be super awesome if there was a hard case, but I could always obtain one elsewhere (or even try making my own :o ). Of course there's a limit on price because there are totally things that wouldn't be appreciated without experience, but hoping it wont be too much (like anything over $3000 is right out unless it has those funky GK3 pickups that would make for all sorts of fun!).

Also, any advice would be appreciated. Currently using a Zoom G7.1 and a Line 6 Bass Pod XT and don't know what else could help. I am not the best at communication but will endeavor to respond promptly, but I have my own issues which may make it difficult. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by RecumbentPhill on Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: WTB: My first stick!
You’re keeping your options open - 10 or 12 strings, any pickup. That widens the net.

Bookmark this search on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=chapman%20stick

Also the used Sticks on SE - sometimes they come up:

https://www.stick.com/shop/inventory/

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for the mention! Happy to have provided a bit of inspiration. I recommend adding the word "Toronto" to the title of your post as it might help others notice it more - I think there are some Stick players in the area? Hope it works out!

search.php?keywords=toronto&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

It’s worth joining some groups on Fb like the following.

Chapman Stick
https://www.facebook.com/groups/chapman ... ?ref=share
There was a 10-string Stick for sale on this group.

Chapman sticks rule!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2379354720/?ref=share

Canadian Chapman Stick
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6520239767/?ref=share

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Please... don't discount the 8 string Sticks !!

The NS Stick 8 is a super versatile instrument, the SB-8 if set up like 2 bass guitars [one in 4ths one in 5ths] is loads of fun, and the RB-8* set up Crafty is to me the best of them all.

[*disclaimer - I modded mine out so all the strings are the exact same distance from one another from top to bottom, no space in the middle - if you search this site, you can see pictures of it, although I don't think I ever posted the real perfectly set up "finished" images of her]

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:47 am

Thanks for the replies all. I've been constantly checking the inventory page but it seems like there hasn't been much since.... well, you know. I'll keep that reverb page open in a tab after this one alongside the previously mentioned one.

Didn't think I'd get a response from the man himself. Quite an honor :D . The reason I didn't put Toronto in the title is because I would only be there for a week and I still don't know when. I'll update the title to say Eastern Canada at least :).

The issue with the FB suggestion is that I don't use it and have been pretty adverse to the whole thing. I can at least see the content posted, and if I see something interesting, I know someone who uses it who could message on my behalf.

I'm sorry to say that I would very much discount the 8 string sticks as I very much want the guitar and bass at the same time. That, and a lot of what I enjoy is metal, and I do like a good seven string, so I wouldn't want to decrease my range too much. I just read about the 10 Grand and I gotta say, I like the idea :).

Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:08 pm

Post Re: WTB: My first stick! Eastern Canada
I will be in Toronto for a week starting Monday the 18th, so here's to the hope that I'll be able to find someone!

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:38 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: WTB: My first stick! Eastern Canada
Kevin Chaisson is in Brantford, just west of Toronto.
https://www.youtube.com/user/chiasson65/videos

Jason Brock from NorthBay, might be living in the Toronto area.
https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonBrockStick/videos

Rob Gellner is in Guelph, just west of Toronto.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... wJQ/videos

RecumbentPhill wrote:
I will be in Toronto for a week starting Monday the 18th, so here's to the hope that I'll be able to find someone!

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:35 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: WTB: My first stick! Eastern Canada. In TO week of July
I am around in Guelph which is a hour west of Toronto if you ever want to come by and try out my 12 string grand and my SG 12. Just Send an email if you want to pop over. Fergus Marsh actually lives in Toronto. He posts on here once in a while.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:12 am

Post Re: WTB: My first stick! Eastern Canada. In TO week of July
Thanks for the information and offers. Unfortunately, I will be very much confined to Toronto, specifically around Cabbagetown. I checked out the links posted and they have some really nice stuff (really liked that something that Kevin posted). Only one day away!

Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:11 am