It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 pm

Ironwood 10-string for sale 

Post Ironwood 10-string for sale
For sale.
I'm not a player, seling for a friend, who's bassist husband passed away.
He purchased this in the 90's, and really never played it.
Certainly never became accomplished enough to put any significant wear on the instrument.
Currently no strings on it.
I have lots of experience selling/shipping instruments.
ser # 1123 Ironwood. Talked with Emmet, he said it's ironwood.
Hardly played, foam missing from original case interior, but case is in good shape, hinges, latches.
We're asking $1750, including shipping within Con. US.
Again, not a player, so i don't have alot of knowledge, other than I'm pretty sure it's stock.
Happy to answer questions best I can.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:41 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Ironwood 10-string for sale
Stickless: Anyone interested in this instrument is going to have A Lot of questions which will affect asking sale price. That may be a decent price if:
the p.u. is working
no frets are working themselves loose from sitting
if there is no retro-fit by Emmett of an adjustable truss-rod, when light strings are strung, it is a straight neck with acceptable low action
If you know anyone within driving distance that is a Stick player with an extra set of light 10-string Classic strings laying around, not a guitarist or bassist who happens to tap with their respective instrument and has heard of the Chapman Stick and/or other related instruments, and can put strings on it and assess it, it's going to be a crap-shoot.

I own Ironwood #1212 bought in '84 for $1,200, and it sat, in it's case in a house, normal temps, for about 15 years undisturbed until
I ordered a new instrument in '07 and sent it back to Emmett to have it set up the way Emmett does things so that it would be playable like new.
A few frets were loose, he replaced the Stickup (was microphonic and rusted up like the way that picture you enclosed looks), he installed an adjustable truss because the orginal dual stabilizers weren't keeping a 20 year neck straight, put new nut and bridge pieces on, and re-padded the the case with foam that doesn't disintergrate. (you, live, you learn).
Total price: $750. (very reasonable as far as I am concerned).
It was fucking beautiful when I got it back and sounds like an original Stick with Stickup and nickel frets and plays like butter.
If I had wanted to sell it, right then, in '08, with a new set of strings set up by Emmett Chapman ready to play and gig and record in a studio, I probably would have asked for $1,500.
I probably would have settled for $1,200, begrudgingly, if they paid for shipping, and knew the person was going to play it and take care of it and love it, and keep it away from children and pets.
I just thought someone needed to give some insight in the position you are in.
It's a valubale instrument BUT it might need some work that shouldn't be reflecked in the selling price.
Thanks for indulging me here.

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Android.
Super helpful insights.... I'm way in the weeds here and you have shed much light on the exact situation with this instrument. So helpful - It's so kind of you to take the time to comment on your experience!
So, my asking price is fairly unreasonable it seems.
Based on your feedback, I probably should be enthusiasticlally entertaining offers under $1000.
Thank you!

Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:57 am

Sold. Thanks all.

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:22 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

wow.... that was fast !!

to me, the old Ironwoods were/are the best... truly pure magic :)

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:49 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I hope it found a good home and both of you are happy with the selling price.

Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery