It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:47 am

[COMPLETE] Want To Buy: Stick or Railboard, UK 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post [COMPLETE] Want To Buy: Stick or Railboard, UK
Looking for a Stick or Railboard.

As I don't expect to be spoilt for choice and as I assume that it would be a relatively simple matter to change strings/adjust tunings if I didn't like the supplied configuration I'm not going to express any preferences other than at least 10 strings. I'll assess anything that's offered on its merits. A UK based source would be ideal, but I'd not rule out international.

If you have something to offer, or know of one that's available, please either make initial contact here or send me a private message.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Edited to clarify source preference.

Edited 2021-09-22 to add [COMPLETE] to Subject
Edited 2021-11-19 to remove [COMPLETE] from Subject
Edited 2021-12-04 to add [COMPLETE] to Subject. A used Stick has come along. :)

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Last edited by DavidWS on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:22 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Want To Buy: Stick or Railboard, UK
ok... one thing about the Railboard, there is a space that runs up the center of the neck between the melody and the bass strings that is greater than the normal string spacing, it's not like a Stick where the spacing is uniform throughout enabling any kind of tuning arrangement.

And while on that topic - the Railboards are cnc machined, for the tuning selected - meaning the frets are machined down so the string height is optimal, and the playing therefore is absolutely perfect - however, if you decide to go with a different tuning/string arrangement, it may or may not work, since the neck is set up more or less just for the original set up, which yes, I learned that the hard way..... and yes, I'm still not sure if I want to keep the stock arrangement or continue experimentation...

Since you are open to the idea of changing tunings/string arrangements, I'd go with a traditional Stick.

Good Luck !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:
ok... one thing about the Railboard...Since you are open to the idea of changing tunings/string arrangements, I'd go with a traditional Stick.

Thanks for your input George. That's an interesting point. I was aware of the extra milling on the thick string positions, but hadn't seriously considered its impact on alternate tunings. I hadn't thought mush at all about the central spacing.

Obvioulsy at present it's a total guess, but I'd be surprised if I wanted to vary tunings from the basic 5&5 (or 6&6) reciprocal. Different flavours within that might be considered, but any radically different grouping seem pretty unlikely. Would the Railboard milling be an issue for at least the established range of reciprocal tunings?

If I were ordering a new Stick, then from what I've seen, heard, & read (all on-line) then I'd likely go for RMR as a starting point. With a used Stick however I'd try whatever it came with.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Edited after a couple of hours to add the query about the relevance of milling for alternative reciprocal tunings.

Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:55 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:
the Railboards are cnc machined, for the tuning selected - meaning the frets are machined down so the string height is optimal, and the playing therefore is absolutely perfect - however, if you decide to go with a different tuning/string arrangement, it may or may not work, since the neck is set up more or less just for the original set up, which yes, I learned that the hard way.

Sorry to hijack David's thread, but from what I understand, some of the alterations from "classic" tuning (viz. MR and Baritone Melody, Deep Baritone Melody) modify only the tuning of the melody side; the tuning of the bass side remains constant. It is also my understanding that the machining of the rail tops you speak of is only on the bass side, not the melody side.

So, if I'm correct, the problem you mention would apply only for some tunings (viz, Deep Matched Reciprocal, Raised Matched Reciprocal, Full Baritone, etc.)

What tuning did you run into a problem with, George?

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:09 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
Sorry to hijack David's thread

No hijack perceived. All education welcomed. :)

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:36 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'd like to hear Greg's input on this, since he's close to S.E. and has done much in the way of tunings. And as an only wood Stick player, and I have never tried a Railboard, (I have TWO Stick's, c'mon) my two doubloons on the vs. issue is...I love my bamboo 12-string Grand Stick in DBR (and I have tried every tuning, including 7+5, except all 4ths, (love 4ths/5ths concept) and I love my old Ironwood (with no innovations, just a trussrod retrofit). My opinion is the Railboard is less expensive, with it's own innovations, but the Stick is the ONE.
(I let a used chrome Railboard slip thru my hands. Whoops...)

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Big George Waters wrote:
ok... one thing about the Railboard, there is a space that runs up the center of the neck between the melody and the bass strings that is greater than the normal string spacing, it's not like a Stick where the spacing is uniform throughout enabling any kind of tuning arrangement.

And while on that topic - the Railboards are cnc machined, for the tuning selected - meaning the frets are machined down so the string height is optimal, and the playing therefore is absolutely perfect - however, if you decide to go with a different tuning/string arrangement, it may or may not work, since the neck is set up more or less just for the original set up, which yes, I learned that the hard way..... and yes, I'm still not sure if I want to keep the stock arrangement or continue experimentation...

Since you are open to the idea of changing tunings/string arrangements, I'd go with a traditional Stick.

Good Luck !!
So, George, I really appreciate your enthusiasm, but...

There are a couple things in this post that aren't right, and I want to make sure people don't get the wrong idea.

First off, regarding the inter-group string spacing. Except on the SB8, all of the models have more space between the string groups than between the strings within a group. The 10-string and 8-string Railboards have the greatest spacing between the groups. On the 8-string Railboard this is necessary because of the coverage of the pickups. The Grand Railboard and 12-string wooden/bamboo Grand Sticks all have the same fretboard width and string spacings.

On the original 7+5 Grand Sticks, the old-style nut screw was "convertible", meaning it could group string #7 with the bass (6+6) or melody (7+5). The Stickup for 7+5 instruments also grouped the strings accordingly.

As far as the implications of the fret machining on the Railboard, this influences the tuning direction and scope of each strings group. So you could use a mirrored 4th tuning with bass on the same side as an MR tuning with no ill effects. Because there is more relief machined under the bass strings, you would not want to use a "parallel" 4ths tuning or "uncrossed" tuning though as the action would not be ideal.

There is no disadvantage to converting between any of the basic inverted 5ths bass/4ths melody tunings. Those tunings all use the same machined profile on the Railboard.

You will have to make other setup changes to correct for string thickness, intonation, pickup balance etc, but those are all easily accomplished with the stock hardware, adjustable nut, pickup and bridge. As always, before making setup changes first adjust your truss, and I recommend taking a photo of the bridge from above before you start, should you want to go back.

I hope that clarifies things.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: [COMPLETE] Want To Buy: Stick or Railboard, UK
I've now changed the Subject to mark this topic as [COMPLETE]. That's because I contacted SE about used Sticks & Railboards, got into a conversation, got an idea of current approximate lead times, confirmed the type of pickup now being used with the 12 string Railboard, and as a result I have now decided to remove the random element & order a new instrument. :)

Just a matter of waiting now....

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

PS. Opps. I nearly forgot to thank greg for his excellent & informative post.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've now changed the Subject to remove the [COMPLETE] label. That's because while I do have Railboard on order that's a long process and if a Stick of any sort came available in the UK I'd still be interested...

Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:27 am